Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Android port  (Read 306554 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »

Have you ever noticed sometimes it happens the game does not get some buttons and requires you interrupt current tap before having the other button working again?

E.g. I'm running and press the jump button: it doesn't jump. I tap the button again, and still it doesn't jump. So I release movement thumb for a moment, and after that, jump button starts working again...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:45:34 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »

I've reproduced the bug, it's only happening with jump button, because double-tapping the joystick will make you jump, and the button stays pressed until you release joystick. I'll fix it.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »

Some time ago I was asked to add VR mode to OpenArena, with cardboard and stuff. Is anyone else interested in this?

OA already supports gamepad and gyroscope, which are prerequisites for VR, and some time ago the engine also supported stereoscopic rendering, until my Android changes  Roll Eyes
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2015, 04:17:17 AM »

I've published an update. Zoom button sometimes misbehaves, other bugs should be fixed.
Yes, sometimes zoom goes up again, but I haven't understood when the bug occurs.

About virtual reality, may be interesting... although I have never tried the cardboard stuff. But how to play, with the phone on your head? You would look around moving your head, but how to shoot, change weapon, etc?
Not really a required feature, but you may use it to further enhance your programming skills...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:21:40 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2015, 06:19:34 AM »

yes, you look around, like it is now, with gyroscope, but you have separate picture for each eye. You play with ganepad, pretty much every VR game requires it.
Youtube app already supports 360° videos, you move your phone or swipe to look around. here's one video, hwlere's another one
I don't need to improve my programming skills, I need to balance my free time between all my projects  Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »

About OA in VR, did you see this thread?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »

I've reproduced the bug, it's only happening with jump button, because double-tapping the joystick will make you jump, and the button stays pressed until you release joystick. I'll fix it.

Hi Pelya... this seems to be still happening...

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2015, 10:29:10 AM »

Yes, because I still did not fix it. I'll do that probably this or next week.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2015, 02:23:33 AM »

Yes, because I still did not fix it. I'll do that probably this or next week.
Okay, thank you. I'll wait.  Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »

Hi Pelya... I just did a try to set "dedicated 1" in the game, and it seems to work (after loading a map)... although I haven't checked yet whether another phone in the same wifi can actually find and connect to it.

At that point, all virtual button icons go away, included the one to enter commands... and if you touch where it is usually located, you can start typing text. But when you confirm the typing, it does not send the "enter" key.... so you can't actually execute any command and you have to forcely close the app from a task manager. Is it possible to fix it (showing "type text" virtual button and most important confirming commands, in dedicated mode), to allow usage of an android phone as a dedicated server?

I see in app description you link a dedicated server package, but considering it's a tar.gz instead of a .apk, I can guess it's to be execuded in Linux, not in Android, right?

As a further step, it would be also nice a way to run both a dedicated server and a client on the same phone, theoretically trying to get slightly better performances by diving server and client processes on two different processor cores...

Gig from cel phone.

PS: Today I saw cardboard 3d adapter in a store near my home... 15 euros for some cardboard!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:52:42 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »

Hi Gig. I've publiushed an update, which fixed Jump button not working.
Starting dedicated server from the game itself was never tested, so no surprise it's broken.
I can compile a dedicated server Android executable when I'll have some time, to be started from terminal, but I doubt anyone except you will use it, so it's low-priority task.

15 euros for cardboard VR adapter is stupid, you can download schematic from their site, print it on thick paper, then cut and fold (but you also need lenses, that's tricky): https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/get-cardboard/
More advanced VR helmets offer more comfort and adjustable lenses, but they at least are made from plastic.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2015, 06:42:25 AM »

Thank you.
I'm currently on holiday, and I will not have wifi for various days. I'm not downloading any app updates at the moment. Sure I will test when I will be able. :-)

About running Dedicated mode directly on Android, I agree it is a low priority thing.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2015, 02:24:18 AM »

Briefly got access to a wifi.
Quickly tested, jump button seems to work correctly.  Smiley

Unfortunately, now the whole game is re-downloaded completely (480 MB) at every minimal update (and google play does not resume interrupted downloads, but restarts them from the beginning).
Is it possible Google does not allow smarter updates?

Gig from mobile.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:27:24 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2015, 02:57:00 AM »

It should have downloaded only .apk file without data. I'll check.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »

Today I downloaded the update on another phone. This time, it has been a small download. Android mysteries...  Smiley

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2015, 03:34:46 PM »

I've got back to OA Android development in the last week, I'm currently trying to add a stereo mode for Cardboard VR. I think I'll give it to you at the end of next week.
Unfortunately it looks like I cannot borrow the code from ioquake3 repo, as all they have now is Oculus compatibility, which does stereo rendering inside Oculus SDK, so you don't need to modify your rendering at all inside the game code.
With Cardboard, there's no such SDK, so I was trying to use Quake 3 built-in stereo rendering mode for blue/yellow glasses, and it kind of sucked, because their version of stereo is like this:

It was implemented directly in renderer, and they messed up angles somewhere. So I moved stereo rendering code to VM, which will work domewhat slower.

I've borrowed Cardboard glasses from a co-worker, and when I've tried it out first I was thinking they'll suck, because I'm nearsighted in one eye, however the glasses surprisingly sucked not very much, I guess they got good lenses. Anyway it's still a gimmick, because my face was sweating in 5 minutes of wearing them, and they press on your face not very comfortably, also my phone would not fit because of the extended battery.
I still don't see how anyone can be shaken off balance by those 3D roller coaster videos - yes the magic is there, but not enough for 'total immersion' - you still sitting on your chair and don't feel that acceleration at all, it's just a moving picture.
Yes, rotating chair is pretty much a requirement for playing OpenArena in VR mode Smiley
If anyone asks for that, I can also compile PC build, if you can somehow strap your display to your head, but beware - VM foles are changed so it's not a pure client.

Now, back to fixing crosshair position not being 3D enough Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2015, 01:38:39 AM »

Some fixes to stereoscopic feature may be useful also for base (PC) version of OA, maybe.
If you take a look to the "bugs" wiki page ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs) there are some things you may like to take a look when you don't know what to do...  :)

About anaglyph stereoscopic view, surely current (0.8.8) bugs are some infos (framerate, speed..) in the upper right corner messed up, and the lack of crosshair (in PC version of OA, crosshair should not appear in thirdperson mode -for balancing reasons, I can guess-, but I suppose should appear in firstperson anaglyph).

Years ago, I asked tcpp (the guy who made "cascaded blur" bloom variant) to take a look into that, and he came with the code you can find here:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4446.msg45110#msg45110
I have no idea whether Fromhell or Sago updated OA sources with such stuff.

PS: When I read infos from ioquake3 readme file (years ago) about their stereoscopic feature (to write this pharagraph: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Stereoscopic_view), I read they also supported "OpenGL stereo rendering" (other than "classic" anaglyph mode), but it was reported as "untested" at the time. I don't know whether it has been actually tested or not nowadays (also, the link to ioquake3 readme file on github has changed since then, maybe now it may be this one https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3/blob/master/README.md -.md? What's .md? Markdown?-)

PPS: However, I have to admit It's unlikely I will buy a cardboard adapter soon, because I would also need to buy a bluetooth gamepad to be actually able to play, and I have very little time to actually play the game. Also, my phone is not of the latest generation (although better than the one I used up to past year), and using stereoscopic rendering would bring the framerate further down.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:52:13 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2015, 02:26:39 AM »

OpenGL stereo rendering is similar to anaglypth, except that instead of filtering specific colors, it's double-display setup kind of, and you select the for left/right eye 'display' to render onto. This requires some specific videocard and drivers.
Oculus makes things simpler, as far as I understood ioquake3 Oculus port - it has it's own OpenGL driver, which duplicates each drawing command to both 'displays', adding a stereo shift. I'm still not surr how it draws 2D stuff such as in-game menus, because those would get shifted too.
Having no crosshair makes the whole game kind of unplayable.
I'll check your other links, thanks.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2015, 04:45:02 AM »

Having no crosshair makes the whole game kind of unplayable.

That's the reason I asked someone to fix it for (anaglyph) stereoscopic mode.  Smiley

But in thirdperson, the crosshair is never shown since Q3A (not related to stereo mode). I'm not sure, but I can guess id software did that on purpose: Q3A is meant to be a first person shooter. Probably thirperson mode was there just for cool replays, followings, testing puporses (e.g. correctly sizing passages in your map) and mod makers. If a mod required thirdperson (Bid for Power?), its developers enabled thirperson by default and somehow enabled crosshair there. But if thirdperson would have been too good also in base game, players would have started using that instead of firstperson, changing the way the whole game was intended to be played.... so they did not include crosshair in thirperson to discourage people from playing in thirperson. In thirderperson, you have a wider lateral view, which may be unfair. This is just what I can guess, I don't know the "real" story about it!

PS: ioquake3 readme file, when talking about stereoscopic-related features, links a wiki page, which I see has also got some notes about "3D Crosshair": http://wiki.ioquake3.org/Stereo_Rendering#3D_Crosshair. It should be noted that most of what's written in that page is dated back to 2008.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:58:59 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »

Hi Pelya... testing a new map (http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=5200.0 third page), it has been noticed that Android version makes you spawn viewing at a different angle than expexted (at least in firstperson mode). I thought you fixed something similar in the past... could you please take a look to that?

Thank you in advance.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2015, 12:44:10 PM »

Yes, I fixed a part of this bug, but it still happens, mostly because of 3-rd person mode. If you set 1st person mode it should not happen.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »

Yes, I fixed a part of this bug, but it still happens, mostly because of 3-rd person mode. If you set 1st person mode it should not happen.

I do play in 1st and it happens. Haven't tried in 3rd today.

Also, sometimes it seems it also does the "swipe turn" when respawning (you respawn and immediately turn), but the main problem exists also with swipe turn disabled (you spawn already facing a wrong side). I use "tap to shoot" mode.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:48:17 PM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2016, 06:39:58 AM »

New release, with clunky Cardboard VR mode support, only works in 3-rd person view.
I also haven't fixed 'swipe turn' bug in 1-st person view yet. I hope I'll have a bit more time this week to fix this.

I am now thinking of adding Google Play Games integration, to make it possible to host public server on your phone. The same can be achieved with IPv6, but IPv6 is still not widely available unfortunately.
Also Google Play Games does not require Google+ login anymore.

There are currently 4281 active installations of OA on Android, and this number is not changing since 2013.
Most installs (1317) are from United States, and Android version does not even have a dedicated server in US.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2016, 12:30:58 PM »

I still don't have cardboard or bluetooth gamepad... however I downloaded the update... but I can't find the option to enable the carboard thing.... where is it?

Also, I have trouble connecting to android servers: invalid pk3 file...

About Google Play Games I have some thoughts, but it's too long to write them with the cell phone... I will say tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:34:02 PM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2016, 01:06:53 PM »

I've restarted dedicated servers this morning, around 2pm, maybe that was the issue.

The cardboard thing is to the lower-right of the main menu screen, it looks like this:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: