Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Android port  (Read 306709 times)
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »

I've increased the amount of bots on all my servers.

I think I'll end up buying some virtual host in US, because we need to grow the community first, and also because I'm too lazy to implement good-looking dedicated server UI in the game.

I've found that some hosting providers offer plans around $16/year for 256Mb RAM virtual host, which is absolutely not that expensive, considering how much time I've spent on this game: https://lowendbox.com/
My OpenArena servers running on ARM box consume 158 Mb of RAM each, so it should fit right in, and I'll also move my NAT hole punching masterserver there, so internet outages at my home won't have such a big impact. The downside is that CPU is shared between virtual hosts, so the server might freeze at random. I don't know if this will really impact the server, as I've never tried VPS. I also think they might change your IP address from time to time, but that can be solved by updating the app.

... Another weekend passed, and all I did was ordering pizza, playing games on my phone and sleeping. I blame hot summer weather Wink Maybe I'll publish a release next week ...

Edit: here's a bit of statistics from Play Store developer page.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:18:07 PM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »

Yes, looking at those stats, a server in US would be useful.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »

US server is up Smiley it's called 'Surplus Railguns', the ping from Ukraine is 150 and stable enough.

It's running on a VPS host in Los Angeles, it got 512 Mb RAM, 10 Gb of slow HDD (who cares), 1 Tb monthly data limit, 100 Mbit connection,  and two CPU cores of unspecified speed - in theory it's 2.4GHz Xeon, but it's shared between all users on that server.

The cost is $12.99 per year. I cannot say that I'm financially devastated Smiley That's a promo plan though, I don't know if it will be available next year, but it seems like it should be, as long as I keep renewing it.

Edit: I've pushed an update, with UPnP support and fixed voting. I didn't do any other changes. In the next version, I'll switch my NAT detection algorithm to use masterserver on that US-based server, so it won't spam the common serverlist with dummy registrations, I did not have enough time to do that today.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:35:58 PM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2016, 04:27:17 AM »

I'll have to wait until I get back to city to download the update (I don't want to download 400+ mb via 3g), so I cannot join the server now.
Does the "railguns" in the name mean you enabled instantgib option there?
What about specifying "us" in server name? Just a thought.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2016, 04:39:34 AM »

No, it's just a name.
What name would you propose?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2016, 08:47:08 AM »

Anything you wish, as long as it's not misleading.

A few examples:
Deathmatch rulez us
Free to frag us
Android DM (US)
US gamers welcome
US FFA OpenArena
Frag-em-All (us)
Surplus fraggers us
Baseoa ffa us
Frag in the u.s.a.
Etc
Etc
Etc

By the way, if instantgib works well enough on Android (not sure about that), maybe one may setup a custom vote to enable/disable it, mentioning that in MOTD? I haven't yet checked if that breaks classic map rotation scripts (as changing gametype does, I recently learned, since q3a) or not.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:18:51 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2016, 02:37:37 PM »

I've renamed it to 'Surplus frags US'. I wanted to put there something about Trump's toupee and McDonalds, but it did not fit into 20 chars limit.

I nevr tried instagib on a phone, but I cannot imagine it being good, because it's purely a twitch-aim skill, and aiming is,hard on touchscreen.

All rockets might work, because you don't need to aim as much as dodge.

Edit: I've set up qscore statistics for that server: http://69.12.73.163/
What good statistics app would you advise, which does not require database engine? Qscore is very basic, pyqscore did not work at all for me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:16:02 PM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2016, 08:48:11 AM »

About pyqscore, what about asking help in its dedicated thread? http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4151.0

PS: I added qscore to the list here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Server_statistics

PPS: About Android 6 issue, do you mean that the sd card permission would be asked every time the user launches the game? Isn't it possible to grant it at installation time? It is was only once after every update (to extract downloaded files), it would still be acceptable... but I can guess the issue would also regard writing q3config.cfg etc, right?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:54:59 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »

The permission is asked only once. If you reject it, OA will happily go to sourceforge.net server to download the data package for the second time. The permission is not needed for writing in app directory in Android/data on SD card, so config file will be fine.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »

Okay, then... is it already this way or another update is needed? Important thing is that the user is correctly informed about what's gonna happen ("if you answer no, the game will download some game data files again")... more important thing is that problems which break the game usability (such having outdated pk3s) are fixed quickly, because they could bring to one-star valutations on play store.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »

Yes, it's in the latest update. No, user is not informed, because I was lazy.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2016, 04:08:23 AM »

Hi! I downloaded the update...

... Uhm... strange, it looks like sometimes (hugh, the dreaded "sometimes" happening problems), when I shoot, it fires only once instead of firing continuously. I do use "tap to shoot" mode in firstperson.

About UPnP, it looks like your implementation does not work correcty with my router. I tried to enable it for all interfaces, and while it looks like it works for eMule (PC), it does not work for OpenArena (Android... I still see a red "LAN Only" line). Is there some CVAR to enable it, maybe?
Unfortunately, my router itself does not seem to offer logging about uPnP... Its UPnP port is set to TCP 5678.

Using "Condump" I exported OA console output (manually retyping here below from pc)... it does just say:
my external IP:44437
5 servers parsed (total 9)
CL_DetermineNatType_f: Error masterserver dpmaster.deathmask.net did not return our address, checking UPnP
CL_DetermineNatType_f: Error masterserver dpmaster.deathmask.net did not return our address, NAT is symmetric.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2016, 06:20:20 AM »

I've changed tap-to-shoot mode a bit - now when you tap one time, you shoot like before, but when you tap for a second time on the same spot, you stop shooting. I did it because it was not convenient to stop shooting by touching the screen in a different spot, or waiting one second with your finger off the screen.
It feels more convenient to me, however the problem now is when you tap multiple times (yeah, happens), you don't have any visual indication if you're shooting or not, until you fire a rocket into the nearest wall and suicide. Maybe I can do something with the crosshair shape, like with the railgun crosshair.
What do you think? Should I make this behavior configurable via an option?

No, UPnP should be automatic. I've tested it on my home router, and it seemed to work, however in the new update it stopped working for no reason. Maybe I messed up something in the code, I'll check this.

Edit: my hole punching masterserver was down, I've restarted it. Could you please test UPnP again?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:06:17 PM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #238 on: July 06, 2016, 08:08:54 AM »

Uhm... is your server also required for uPnP? I don't know when I will have the chance to do another test, it may take a few days.

About "new" tap to shoot, I have just tried again, and I have some problems adapting myself to it... I miss the old behaviour. I did not feel the old way as a problem*, however if you like more current one, you may keep both and provide some kind of small visual feedback to determine if you are "shooting".

About those little OpenGL problems we mentioned earlier, what about asking Fromhell for some tips? I suppose she knows OpenGL very well.

* Trying to say in other words: I would find "tap the same place again to stop shooting" especially useful in case the shooting button was a double tap on a fixed "right joystick", but considering that touching a different part of the screen stops firing and just re-creates the invisible virtual joystick without messing up your aim, that's enough for me. Because I do tend to tap more times in the same place to start shooting... and having to care of it's one or two or three taps is a bit unconformtable to me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:28:43 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #239 on: July 06, 2016, 08:24:01 AM »

Yes, my server is required for UDP hole punching algorithm to work. After UPnP is activated, your router could be 'upgraded' from symmetric NAT to port restricted NAT, or to public IP / no NAT at all on OpenArena network port, depending on your internet provider.
If you will have port restricted NAT, you still need UDP hole punching to host or connect to hosts like you. If you end up with public IP, other hosts will connect to you directly, without using my server.

For new tap-to-shoot,  I'll make it configurable in settings.

About OpenGL, well, this requires time and effort to caych and fix all those minor graphical bugs, I'm not sure I'll do that. Also Fromhell knows PC OpenGL, and mobile GLES lacks some features, that's the main reason why those bugs are happening. I would rather fix my GLES2 renderer, then I can have all those nice flares and bloom effects that Fromhell added to PA, and integrate Cardboard VR SDK and have a proper barrel roll distortion.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2016, 08:35:22 AM »

About the graphical bugs, I can guess the machinegun marks on walls blending could be worth of taking a look. Not that the effect is sooo bad after all, but machinegun marks on walls affect any map and could be one of the first things a new player would see when playing for the first time, giving him a bad impression about the game.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:03:19 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #241 on: July 08, 2016, 02:25:55 AM »

Made another try with UPnP, but it looks like it's not working. Are your services running? Could you add some more debug infos in console output, maybe?

Also, I found a bug: if I use the button to enter console commands from menus (it looks like the bug does not happen in-game) and then, instead of inserting a command, I just press "back" physical button... the game acts like I pressed "back" many times, returning to main menu and exiting the game completely.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #242 on: July 08, 2016, 04:48:42 AM »

My services are running, so it looks like UPnP will not help on your setup (or my code is not working)

I'll fix the bug with Back bitton
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #243 on: July 08, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »

Is there something more I could do to help debugging?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2016, 09:54:40 AM »

Not much.

Maybe visit local mcDonalds, and check on their WiFi. Quit and relaunch the game before checking.

Anyway, to adapt my code to some particular network setup, I need to be there, remote debuggign is pain.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:56:50 AM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »

A public wifi with upnp nat traversal enabled? Sounds strange.

By the way, since UPnP nat traversal is considered a potential security issue, maybe foreseeing a way for users to disable the option could be good. Just to avoid someone thinking that an app silently opening ports on the router may be malware.

However, are you really sure it would be impractical to make a command to export upnp-related packets to a text file or similar? I suppose the router should reply with some kind of error (e.g. unhautorized/syntax error/whatever).

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #246 on: July 08, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »

Well, Skype does that without asking.

Yes, it's possible to dump upnp client logs into a file, I'll do this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #247 on: July 08, 2016, 10:54:50 AM »

Also, I see there are some packet loggers for android which do not require root (due to using vpn android api)... maybe those may be useful, too?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:31 AM »

I've tried tPacketCapture, and could not connect to any server when it was running.

By the way, I just connected to some server called XDDDDD, which was marked as NAT in the game, so I assume my NAT traversal code works.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:16:30 AM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2016, 12:39:57 PM »

While using Packet capture by grey shirts I was able to connect to a server.
But I was connected using 3g, haven't tried it via wifi yet.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: