Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Music/random audio stuff  (Read 18546 times)
greezywoap
Nub

Cakes 0

The tip-toppidy bottom.

« on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »

As none of you know [no one here knows me yet anyway], I am an audio... WHORE. I love good music and sound effects. I center my focus on sounds that are very crisp and easy to hear. Sooooooooo (cutting to the chase), I'd like to offer my help with OA 3.0 for any sound development you guys need. Here's my YouTube channel if you want to see some samples I've uploaded: http://www.youtube.com/user/OverAndOverTheTOP.
--I'd be more than happy to write a full soundtrack for OpenArena, if needed.  Or I could help out with weapon sounds, ambience, even voice overs.

G'day!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:01:31 PM by greezywoap » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »

Then you should check this before contributing:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/GoodPractices

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
greezywoap
Nub

Cakes 0

The tip-toppidy bottom.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »

I have  Grin thanks though. It said to ask on the forum about music, so I did (and some other stuff..obviously). I just want to know if help is needed before I actually start working on it
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »

Well, sound effects are needed, some sound replacements need to be done, and if the current music/sounds can be improved, then good.

The missing sounds list is here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_sounds

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
greezywoap
Nub

Cakes 0

The tip-toppidy bottom.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »

Music could be improved  Lips Sealed. Hopefully an admin or Dev finds this thread, because I need to know what kind of...theme they would want for the music. And I've gotta' figure out what all those missing sounds are supposed to be  Rest In PEACE!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »

Well, currently there's a small issue with the music. The map theme palette in OA is pretty extensive, I mean, you have castles, factories, temples, etc, a la Unreal Tournament; while the music palette lacks this variation, all of the themes just sound the same.

The current sources are just some samples for the music. The music itself would have to be recreated from scratch. Tracker music was used, and the sound samples are in http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/music/jutegyte, but the correspondent .it/.xm/s3m files for the music itself (the source files) aren't there.

greezywoap
Nub

Cakes 0

The tip-toppidy bottom.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »

Well, currently there's a small issue with the music. The map theme palette in OA is pretty extensive, I mean, you have castles, factories, temples, etc, a la Unreal Tournament; while the music palette lacks this variation, all of the themes just sound the same.

The current sources are just some samples for the music. The music itself would have to be recreated from scratch. Tracker music was used, and the sound samples are in http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/music/jutegyte, but the correspondent .it/.xm/s3m files for the music itself (the source files) aren't there.

As I've noticed Tongue well my music IS from scratch (written and recorded), so no worries there. If you hear the samples on my YouTube channel, it's a mix of electric and instrumental stuff. So, I figured some orchestral-type pieces for the castle themed maps. Some electric/synth for the factory/industrial/futuristic maps... and some slow vocal and instrumental for any temple themed maps.
OpenArena definitely needs a main theme though (music wise). Like a main melody that is recognizable. I'll have to find out what everyone thinks that should sound like.

Also, give me a week or so, as I'm currently working on a piece for OA just to see what I can come up with. When it's done I'll post it here and see where things go from there
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 03:45:51 AM »

I TOTALLY support your initiative!

OA really needs a main musical theme which it can be identified.

As well as the Cinema is a synergy between visual, sound and music, videogames should be at least the same (plus "interaction").

I find your musics to be very good, quite nicely written. Is it really just only midi? Because really for just a midi file, it's quite impressive!

Anyway your main concerns if you want to do that is that:
1- music is not considered to be a crucial part of the current developer roadmap,
2- OpenArena themes are very heterogenous, so finding a main theme can be a quite arduous task.

Personally, I think that a nice orchestral music always fit the bill Wink But if you are in a mood to try creative stuffs, you can try to add a bit of electronic instruments and effects to make it sound like a bit more futuristic.

Good luck in your effort, keep us informed of the updates!
greezywoap
Nub

Cakes 0

The tip-toppidy bottom.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »

I TOTALLY support your initiative!

OA really needs a main musical theme which it can be identified.

As well as the Cinema is a synergy between visual, sound and music, videogames should be at least the same (plus "interaction").

I find your musics to be very good, quite nicely written. Is it really just only midi? Because really for just a midi file, it's quite impressive!

Anyway your main concerns if you want to do that is that:
1- music is not considered to be a crucial part of the current developer roadmap,
2- OpenArena themes are very heterogenous, so finding a main theme can be a quite arduous task.

Personally, I think that a nice orchestral music always fit the bill Wink But if you are in a mood to try creative stuffs, you can try to add a bit of electronic instruments and effects to make it sound like a bit more futuristic.

Good luck in your effort, keep us informed of the updates!

Thanks!
1- True, but it's a nice addition, right? Tongue
2- Verrrry true. I'll need everyone's opinion on how the main melody should sound.

And yep, they're both just MIDI files. Except I mixed in actual recordings into A Final Effort... which caused some problems (hence the hiccups in sound). Thanks for the compliment
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »

1- True, but it's a nice addition, right? Tongue

I only stated the general consensus, but personally I think that it should be one of the main concerns. Music and sound can really enhance the gameplay a lot, and sometimes even attain phantasmagoria, like in Ace of Spades where some genius replaced the diverse sound effects with orchestral instruments, achieve a real dynamic, interactive and always reinventing orchestra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1cfLCIBe3c

Anyway there's not really any musical artists around, hence why there is some inertia in this field :S

And yep, they're both just MIDI files. Except I mixed in actual recordings into A Final Effort... which caused some problems (hence the hiccups in sound). Thanks for the compliment

Then great work you did here! With proper instrumentations and effects, it should be awesome!

Also, you can start a poll if you want people to give their idea on the subject, but don't expect too many replies, because first people don't really know, and secondly most are more interested in fragging than talking on the forums :p
greezywoap
Nub

Cakes 0

The tip-toppidy bottom.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »

That IS genius!!! Ha!
Anyway, I couldn't agree more Tongue thanks for the support

And there's also not many free musical artists  Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: