Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Concepts: UT3's DM-Gateway  (Read 61521 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 06:03:38 AM »

Hi everyone.

I have a compiling problem with OA_Gateway.

I've changed some brushes and inserted some items as requested.

1) In Q3Radiant without -VIS it compile but not always.
2) In NETradiant it gives me this:

************ ERROR ************
safe_malloc failed on allocation of 9016 bytes

Searching in the WEB, some users suggest to detail some brush and other users tell to delete some lights, but nothing change.

Yes the map it's huge, but i don't want to delete nothing, or not much....

Can you guys try to compile for me ?

In the attachment you can find the original .map file.

If anyone can compile it for me, it will be apreciated.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »

Sorry, I will not be able to compile anything for about 10 days.

You may make a try with q3map2build.
From here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2722.msg47955#msg47955
you should reach a package of it from Neon Knight:
 http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg47717#msg47717
But you have to add .dll files from GTKRadiant 1.5 (not NetRadiant) for having it working.

I'd like to re-package it, including the required .dll files (and a recent bspc, maybe the one from GTKRadiant 1.6), but I cannot do this now.

Gig from cell phone.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:45:10 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »

Hi everyone  Cheesy

Note: This is only a "test-version" and NOT a "final-version". Please, tell me if you find some bug or wathever don't work well.

After checking out, it has been improved greatly (good job so far!).
Nevertheless, there are still a couple of things which could be improved:
- The ramps in the arena which is castle-themed are too steep to preserve your speed. They are actually slowing you down immense. They could also be a bit more wide, as only 1 person could actually walk on it without any place to strafe (which means he's just waiting for to get killed when taking the ramps).
- I'm still not font of using teleporters, as it has a huge advantage seen from gameplay aspect. When someone else took the teleporter just a few seconds ago, it's obvious that person would still be waiting for you at the other side while you can't see him what so ever. That's why I would suggest, what about using caves instead? I don't know how are actually positioned right now, but it would add a way more original aspect and quality than some cheap ass teleporter.
- There should be way more pickups around the map (as mentioned before). Think at least 2 weapons each arena (preferable 3), while actually providing ammo for the arena which is nearby.
- Although you already added some deeper layer of flow, the room often still have only 1 floor (as the city for example, while has 1 main floor and some upper path to a teleporter which makes you getting stuck in those bars which cloak the path).
- When texturing, try to keep a certain average resolution, so you won't use a 256x256 pixel-sized texture on walls while scaling it up and use a trimming of 512x128 pixel-sized on a small trim which is lying perpendicular to the wall (look at the castle's wall-texture for example).
- Some sounds maybe? People tend to forget this all the time, while it actually is 1 of the crucial things to make a detail on a map (or just the map itself) convincing.

That's it for now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:13:56 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 09:43:18 AM »

- I'm still not font of using teleporters, as it has a huge advantage seen from gameplay aspect. When someone else took the teleporter just a few seconds ago, it's obvious that person would still be waiting for you at the other side while you can't see him what so ever. That's why I would suggest, what about using caves instead? I don't know how are actually positioned right now, but it would add a way more original aspect and quality than some cheap ass teleporter.

I've just had a MAD idea. What about "doubling" all teleporters? I mean, when you have the teleport (let's call it A1) from world A to world ccool what about placing a second, identical A -> B world teleport (let's call it A2), something like 6-15 meters away? This way, if you are chasing someone who enters A1 teleport, you can choose to follow him directly into A1, but you may also choose to enter A2 instead. On the other world, that guy will not know if you will come out from B1 or from B2, making his "camping" a little more difficult.
If you wish to distinguish A1-B1 from A2-B2, you may use different colors for some detail in their brushes.
What do you think? Is this too fool?
It's just an idea, I don't know if that would really work well...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:48:03 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »

Updates !

@Suicizer: The ramps are in UT style. I've changed the wall textures in the "Castle-Arena" (Texture taken from UFOai). In the "City-Arena" i've rebuilded the lamps, now you can't collide with them because them are higher (see screenshots). In all Arenas already are two or three weapons. I'm working to the rest Tongue

@Gig: All the teleporters have this "issue", i don't think to do other teleporter, in the arenas now there are three teleporters.

I think i'm near to release the final version of this map.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »

This map will not be in oacmp volume2?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »

This map will not be in oacmp volume2?

It can be, but i don't want to release it in 2045 (i'm jocking Neon_Knight Tongue )
We still have to release Volume1  "officially".

We have to hear Neon_Knight about it.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »

I've said it already: once Vol.1 is released, we will start with Vol.2.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »

Update !!  Grin

Here you can Download the "near-final" version:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/sucq94l5006f21gn588j

It's NOT the final version, but it's very close Tongue

Updates:

1) Added sound for teleporters.
2) Added sound in the cave.
3) Changed some geometry in the "Castle-Arena".
4) BOTs now roam all the arenas.
5) Changed catwalks in the "City-Arena" and added others to the other building.
6) Added some noclip_full for the buildings, now you never can be blocked from the building's brushes.
7) Some Brush work in the "Giant Robot-Arena", and some little fixes.

Knowed Issues:

1) The sound of the general music cover the sound of the teleporter  Sad
2) BOTs don't go to the pillars room above in the dungeon in "Castle-Arena", don't know why...

Please tell me if you find other bugs.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »

Hi Akom! I'm just returned from some days of being offline. I can't test your map right now, but I'll do in the next days!  Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 03:24:47 AM »

Hi! I've quickly tested the new version!
I like it!  Grin Wink

Things to say:
- I think you may make something else spawning alternately ("teamed") with the nailguns in the gigant robot arena... to have something appearing there also when playing with old mods that do not support nailgun.

- You may use a more cool jump-pad shader in the city.

- I experienced a couple of "missing texture" in the castle arena (see screenshot).

UPDATE: I tried with music turned off... what's the meaning of that "buzz" sound in the cave? And why do I continue to hear it also if I leave the cave?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:53:59 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:10 AM »

Hi! I've quickly tested the new version!
I like it!  Grin Wink

Things to say:
- I think you may make something else spawning alternately ("teamed") with the nailguns in the gigant robot arena... to have something appearing there also when playing with old mods that do not support nailgun.

- You may use a more cool jump-pad shader in the city.

- I experienced a couple of "missing texture" in the castle arena (see screenshot).

UPDATE: I tried with music turned off... what's the meaning of that "buzz" sound in the cave? And why do I continue to hear it also if I leave the cave?

I've noticed that missing texture, but i noticed after the release, if you launch the map with sv_pure 0 (<- zero) the textures is not missing, is an original from OA, and i don't know why of this issue..... Huh

The sounds have this "bug" from Q3A, that's because i don't want to use them.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »

if you launch the map with sv_pure 0 (<- zero) the textures is not missing, is an original from OA, and i don't know why of this issue..... Huh
In my case, it's not shown even if I set sv_pure 0. This makes me think you may have it outside from .pk3 files, under either basepath or homepath. What about making a search for its name in those folders, to find where you have that file?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »

Took a quick look to your map.

The missing texture in the Castle area belongs to a texture pack (babel) which indeed was included in a previous version of OA (0.8.0) but had to be removed for licensing issues.

The Castle area is vastly improved, and that's a Good Thing!

See, one of the reasons the Railgun in OA feels overpowered is precisely that the maps don't limit this weapon. And by "limit" I don't mean changing it's properties. I mean, that the Railgun in an open space (for example, q2dm1, "The Edge", for Quake II, which has that dome area with that lot of stairs, or practically any space map) tends to rack a lot of frags. With a lot of places to get cover, it becomes hard to score a frag, and this also counts for Instagib. With this said, I'm glad there's more places to get covered from it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:36:09 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »

Took a quick look to your map.

The missing texture in the Castle area belongs to a texture pack (babel) which indeed was included in a previous version of OA (0.8.0) but had to be removed for licensing issues.

The Castle area is vastly improved, and that's a Good Thing!

See, one of the reasons the Railgun in OA feels overpowered is precisely that the maps don't limit this weapon. And by "limit" I don't mean changing it's properties. I mean, that the Railgun in an open space (for example, q2dm1, "The Edge", for Quake II, which has that dome area with that lot of stairs, or practically any space map) tends to rack a lot of frags. With a lot of places to get cover, it becomes hard to score a frag, and this also counts for Instagib. With this said, I'm glad there's more places to get covered from it.

Thank you Neon_knight, i'm pretty sure of that texture (banner) is from cosmo_sfx folder, but i've noticed that's my fault if you don't see it. I have moved it from his folder to mine without insert it n the PK3 Tongue Tongue
.....i'm old, i know....XD....

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:34 AM »

Excuse me Akom... if that texture is from stock OA, why should you need to copy it to your own folder? Did you do some changes to it?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »

Excuse me Akom... if that texture is from stock OA, why should you need to copy it to your own folder? Did you do some changes to it?

Yes, i've thinked to give that banner the flag effect, but i've miss something....XD....

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »

The map vastly improved from the time I've tested it before. Now it has enough vertical details and routes and does not feel like one big floor anymore. Also, the illumination is good, I love bright maps.
Sometimes it feels like there are too little weapons in city and castle areas - some respawn points do not have any weapon nearby. In the city you spawn facing fountain, but there are plasmagun and rocket on the floor, would be nice to see one of them or a jumppad right when you spawn, so you know where to run. There are similar spawnpoints in the castle, maybe it would be nice to add few more weapons there.
On the other hand, I like that there are many ammo crates, health and armor shards.
I don't think that rail is overpowered, it is kind of balanced by nailgun in robot area, and you can always escape through teleport.

BTW can we please use that one-way grate above jumppad in Moixie's DM map instead of that trapdoor?
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »

The map vastly improved from the time I've tested it before. Now it has enough vertical details and routes and does not feel like one big floor anymore. Also, the illumination is good, I love bright maps.
Sometimes it feels like there are too little weapons in city and castle areas - some respawn points do not have any weapon nearby. In the city you spawn facing fountain, but there are plasmagun and rocket on the floor, would be nice to see one of them or a jumppad right when you spawn, so you know where to run. There are similar spawnpoints in the castle, maybe it would be nice to add few more weapons there.
On the other hand, I like that there are many ammo crates, health and armor shards.
I don't think that rail is overpowered, it is kind of balanced by nailgun in robot area, and you can always escape through teleport.

I will fix the spawn issue, thanks Pelya.

Quote from: pelya
BTW can we please use that one-way grate above jumppad in Moixie's DM map instead of that trapdoor?

Of course it's possible, just place a single_patch_mesh Cheesy
Just select a brush and go in the curve menu' and select single patch mesh.
one side it's solid and the other is not solid.

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »

I will fix the spawn issue, thanks Pelya.

Quote from: pelya

Of course it's possible, just place a single_patch_mesh Cheesy
Just select a brush and go in the curve menu' and select single patch mesh.
one side it's solid and the other is not solid.

Wink

I seriously hate that onr way grate. I rather like to see a trapdoor ehich opens and closes after jumping through the whole as it's a way more realistic and logial experience.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »

I seriously hate that onr way grate. I rather like to see a trapdoor ehich opens and closes after jumping through the whole as it's a way more realistic and logial experience.

I can't insert any door, or moving object if VIS process gives me the compiling error Sad

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »

Which error, more precisely?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:47 PM »

Which error, more precisely?

....ehm, i think you don't have read this message of mine  Tongue Tongue Cheesy
at the top of this page, i've inserted even the original .map file.

Now the .map file is changed but the error stil remain, and no one answered me about it... Sad ....

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2013, 05:15:40 AM »

Hmmm... are you also able to compile the bot file? Sounds like there's a leak in your map.
With the tons of details, it could also be a good idea to make detail everything which doesn't touch the void, as the map is just one large room.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: