Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1132097 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1150 on: October 27, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »

@Gig: are you serious ?? The walls are right, but the columns seems really "placed here" style.
Cut them in some way and place a base at the bottom.

I think you have to place some tiled team-textures:

By the way i think you have made a good job with this map, it's time to fix it (for the last time) and start another one  Grin

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1151 on: October 28, 2013, 04:03:29 AM »

The colums are "placed there" due to SOMEONE told me to add them, they were not expected in the original layout. Tongue Cheesy Well, I think I get what you mean. I suppose I can add some kind of basement below them, although this means continuing adding polygons to the map.

About those blue parts... Ooops, in your previous message, you talked about the ARROWS, and I didn't think that also those bars next to the flags were done the same way. I'll try to fix them in the next days.

In the meanwhile, suggestions about OneFlag mode, as I asked in the previous post?

PS: V15 has been downloaded only ONCE. Where are other guys gone?  Huh
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:17:39 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1152 on: October 28, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

About UdestructionV14, the only thing i can tell you is that you can change the arrows textures.
I mean, the red and blue (CTF) textures in your map [...]

My auto-quote means that the CTF textures (red and blue) are misaligned and not exactly cool.
If i were you, i will change the textures with the one in original OA textures folder (proto2) but not exactly this textures, but the same textures copy/pasted in another folder (personal) without any effect.
Use the textres posted in the previous post of mine.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1153 on: November 04, 2013, 03:46:50 AM »

Bump!
How's your work doing?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1154 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:39 AM »

I'm making a few graphical fixes asked by Akom (the only one who downloaded V15!!! http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg48753#msg48753  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed).
It's not an huge work, but real life is slowing me down.

About Jan and Moixie, the had to fix a few glitches, but I don't know how they are progressing...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:58:48 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1155 on: November 04, 2013, 06:18:05 AM »

Yeah, RL slows all of us down. I haven't opened OA almost since I've released the RC, so I won't be able until December to provide feedback on anything. :/

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1156 on: November 04, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »

I'm making a few graphical fixes asked by Akom (the only one who downloaded V15!!! http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg48752#msg48752  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed).
It's not an huge work, but real life is slowing me down.

About Jan and Moixie, the had to fix a few glitches, but I don't know how they are progressing...

Talking about UdestructionV15, what do you think about change the walls with a triangles mountain, or something similar that i have used in oa_suicizer ? Just an idea.
You can watch in the PK3 and extract the .map file included.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1157 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:10 AM »

Talking about UdestructionV15, what do you think about change the walls with a triangles mountain, or something similar that i have used in oa_suicizer ? Just an idea.
You can watch in the PK3 and extract the .map file included.
I fear that would require too much time. I tried various times to make better outer walls back in March, but I failed... and I don't want to spend more days for another failure (I would prefer focusing on small fixes)... I hope we can release this package before the end of 2013...

By the way, has someone checked for more gametypes adapt for his own maps (e.g. 1vs1, TDM, Elimination, Last Man Standing, that do not require extra entities), as I asked here (in the "@ALL" section), to update their .arena files?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1158 on: November 05, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »

By the way, has someone checked for more gametypes adapt for his own maps (e.g. 1vs1, TDM, Elimination, Last Man Standing, that do not require extra entities), as I asked here (in the "@ALL" section), to update their .arena files?

Did you notice that is a very tiny "problem" ?
Simply Neon_Knight can modify the .arena file adding some gametypes, and it's done !  Grin

The entities in the map are placed, it's only the .arena file to be modifyed.

IF you don't need to add the mountains to your map, than i think it's finished.

For other maps we all have the original .map file, if the mappers can't change or modify the maps for problems in real life, we can do it for they. Am i right ? I mean, if some one have problems to finish the job, we can help him.

Everyone is busy with work and real life, but we can help each other  Cheesy

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1159 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »

Indeed.

So it's basically settled. December 2013 will be the release date.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1160 on: November 05, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »

Simply Neon_Knight can modify the .arena file adding some gametypes, and it's done !  Grin

Sure Neon_Knight can modify that file, but who tells him what to include and what not?
Who better than the map author can say which gametypes should his map be listed for?
And, more important... Neon Knight has got a own life, too. Why should he be forced to test ALL maps in ALL gametypes, to decide if the map is adapt for that gametype or not? If each mapper would take his own part of the job, that would be more fair, respecting Neon Knight.

Of course, if Neon Knight has nothing against that, he can do it. I can already say that oa_akomdm3 is surely adapt for Elimination and LMS modes, and probably also TDM.

PS: Also "tiny" problems are however problems... that should be fixed before the official release goes public.  Wink (example: things noticed in RC1)

PPS: We would need infos from Moixie and Jan, to know if they need some help to finish polishing or they will do by themselves... guys, where are you?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:07:55 PM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1161 on: November 05, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »

Sure Neon_Knight can modify that file, but who tells him what to include and what not?
[...]Neon Knight has got a own life, too. Why should he be forced to test ALL maps in ALL gametypes, to decide if the map is adapt for that gametype or not? If each mapper would take his own part of the job, that would be more fair, respecting Neon Knight.

Of course he have to try all maps !!!
(without sleeping for 5 days)

Muahahaha !!!!  Grin Grin

Just kidding. However i think Neon_Knight have tryed already all the maps.
By the way was just an idea.... Tongue

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1162 on: November 05, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »

Simply Neon_Knight can modify the .arena file adding some gametypes, and it's done !  Grin

Who better than the map author can say which gametypes should his map be listed for?
And, more important... Neon Knight has got a own life, too. Why should he be forced to test ALL maps in ALL gametypes, to decide if the map is adapt for that gametype or not? If each mapper would take his own part of the job, that would be more fair, respecting Neon Knight.

Of course, if Neon Knight has nothing against that, he can do it. I can already say that oa_akomdm3 is surely adapt for Elimination and LMS modes, and probably also TDM.

PS: Also "tiny" problems are however problems... that should be fixed before the official release goes public.  Wink (example: things noticed in RC1)

PPS: We would need infos from Moixie and Jan, to know if they need some help to finish polishing or they will do by themselves... guys, where are you?

It actually is quiet logical that a mapper should decide which modes it supports. However, it may happen that the author did an incorrect test or the map just shows up different to others. That's probably the reason why Neon Knight tests them.
Although maps are licensed as GPLv2 or CC0, that doesn't mean the original author shouldn't be responsible for his shared work.
I would test certain maps, if they show enough potential (to my own standards).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:19:39 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1163 on: November 05, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »

Thanks Suicizer.

Grin

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1164 on: November 06, 2013, 03:18:25 AM »

Before releasing a V16 of udestruction, I post here a few screenshots, so you can already tell me if you like or not the most recent changes (considering Akom is the only one who downloaded V15, other people here have not seen them yet).

In these screenshots you can see the "house ruins" area, with the changes I recently did according to Akom's suggestions (you can test them in V15). As you can see, there are some pieces of wall that act as a some sort of defense, but also obstacle movement. What do you think about them? Useful or bad?

Akom, do you like the new layout of the colums? Of course, I will make both of them with the same layout... at the moment you see them different due to they are two different tests...

Comments?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:46:11 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1165 on: November 07, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »

Ehm, what about cut those columns ? Or broke it, as usual in ancient construction....

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1166 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:46 AM »

Ehm, what about cut those columns ? Or broke it, as usual in ancient construction....
With "cut", do you mean "make shorter"? I did them so tall to give more "protection" effect you asked. However I can make them a little less high, if you wish (how much?). And about "breaking" them, what if I break just one of them? Of course, the broken one will give some less protection than the complete one.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1167 on: November 08, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »

See in the attachment what i mean.
If this map have to be a sort of old architectural site, it must have some columns  Tongue

By the way, i hope your map is almost finished with next V16.
Can't wait to see your next map in Volume 2  Grin

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1168 on: November 08, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »

Ehm... how could such short columns do the job you asked them for (protecting the ruined house area from players that are camping on the aqueduct)? Should I really make them so short?

By the way, I don't want to add an entire "broken colums field" like in your image: I don't want to add too many extra polygons to the map... and too many things in the middle of the way may hamper the movement too much. I fear even the pieces of wall I recently added in the ruined house area do somehow hamper your strafe jumping... unfortunately, noone else has said a word about them yet, if they are good or bad...  Huh Huh Huh

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1169 on: November 08, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »

That image is for give you an idea, i think you can leave a column as it is and another (or two) broken with a couple of pieces on the ground, just for detail the area.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1170 on: November 13, 2013, 08:10:57 AM »

What do you think about the attached screenshots? You can see the following changes there:

1) Closed (with a wood board) one of the exits of the middle floor of the lower tower. Now it should be safer to defend the flag/double domination point without being killed by outside (I did not experience this problem playing with bots, but I can guess it was pontentially possible when playing against human players. Of course, on the other hand, now it's more difficult to avoid splash damage rockets thrown from inside the tower.) Initially, I left part of the wood board with an opening, but trying with a bot camping there I saw that it was still to easy to kill him from outside (with rockets), so I completely closed the board. What do you think about it? Should I replace the wood board with bricks?

2) Slightly reworked the new columns area (added two more colums, slightly changed debris in the area). Akom, do you like it, now?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:36:08 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1171 on: November 13, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »

Yes, i like it ! Now seems the entrance of a temple Tongue Tongue

Maybe the bottom of the cloumn can be more lower (i mean the block), but i think it can be ok like this.

Wink

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #1172 on: November 21, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

I'll try to fix my maps not this weekend, but the next.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1173 on: November 28, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »

I forgot to fix and send to Neon_Knight the updated "akom_pack" with some little fixes.....
.....stay tuned.... Tongue

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1174 on: November 28, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »

It's OK. We have at least some few weeks at minimum, and a month as maximum, before the launch. And after the next week I'll have more spare time, so I can even correct what's bad with the maps themselves and the pack.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: