Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124198 times)
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »

A 1st look of a draw of the base in the upcoming map (working title "fight").
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »

Hi everyone.

....work in progress.....

I hope i'm doing a good job.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:57:18 PM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 01:42:52 AM »

Moixie, IIRC there were some maps from yours almost ready, but that were not completed in time for the "new stuff lock" deadline for 0.8.alien and thus are not in 0.8.8. I don't remember if some of them were even posted into the SVN commit thread.
I think this may be their chance!

Also the "pul1ffa - hit the ground running" map was quite promising...
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3990.0
I'm going to send a PM to Pulchr, to inform him about this thread.

Akom: that looks promising (and a little creepy).
Of course, remember that those maps would need to do not require the Q3 texture compatibility pack (and that new textures from yours would need to be GPLv2 compiant -and not taken/modifed from uncertain/copyrighted sources-)... and it would be nice they would have DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes]support for OA gametypes.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:11:48 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 06:22:04 AM »

Yep, that's another thing to bear in mind: no special requirements outside of OA's assets such as that compatibility package. The mappack should work as it is once placed alone in a vanilla OA folder.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »

Akom: that looks promising (and a little creepy).
Of course, remember that those maps would need to do not require the Q3 texture compatibility pack (and that new textures from yours would need to be GPLv2 compiant -and not taken/modifed from uncertain/copyrighted sources-)... and it would be nice they would have DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes]support for OA gametypes.

Ehm, what do you mean with OA gametypes ? I have to make a specify .arena file ?

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »

Well, OA has 3x the amount of gametypes the original Q3A has. (12 in total) For some of those gametypes, there's nothing else to do, the map will work as it is (LMS/Elimination for FFA/TeamDM oriented maps; CTF Elimination for CTF-based maps) and others require one or more special entities which are already included in the OA gamepacks (Domination/Double Domination/Harvester/Overload/One Flag CTF).

Though this isn't, of course, obligatory; if you don't want to include support for these gametypes, it's your choice. Tongue But make sure to remove the "gametype" entity from every spawn point, otherwise servers may crash.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:44:17 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »

I have modified this textures (separate in red and blue).
I have take it from an original OA textures.

Can it be used with an official map ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 01:15:48 AM »

Ehm, what do you mean with OA gametypes ? I have to make a specify .arena file ?

OA gametypes:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Gamemodes
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Gametype

Important tips about OA mapping:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes

More infos about mapping:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_%26_tutorials

A page one should take a look before creating "official" stuff for OA:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:28:21 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
G One
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 05:30:44 AM »

Can somebody write a guide about the setup of GtkRadiant 1.6.3 with OA?
I wanna help you with new maps.
Thanks.

A wiki about free (as in free speech) games: https://libregamewiki.org/
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »

Can somebody write a guide about the setup of GtkRadiant 1.6.3 with OA?
I wanna help you with new maps.
Thanks.

Look at here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Configure_GTKRadiant_for_OA

@Gig: thank you, i will follow your links to do my OA stuff.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 12:52:54 AM »

I have modified this textures (separate in red and blue).
I have take it from an original OA textures.

Can it be used with an official map ?

Wink

I suppose yes, but I'm not sure exactly what you have to include with it (maybe the original author has to be mentioned somewhere in a readme file?). What's the original file you took?

PS: about a map editor pre-configured for OA:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2722.0 (I have no idea if that would need some update)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »

Moixie reminded me of something:

If possible, try not to bloat the map's size. A setting which does this AFAICR is -samplesize. Some maps still look good without it. Which should be the ideal size for a map? Below 10mb for small/medium maps?

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »

That's my turn to tell to everybody, what I'm working on. At the moment, I don't try to create any kind of universe, or any kind of map's layout to optimize the gameplay. I'm working on 2 recent maps which were unfinished (recent like 1 year and a half ago).

Mx1mn2:

I made it in 4 or 5 hours, it was just a prototype when I made it. I wanted to make something really simple, symetrical, small and playable on any gametype (tournament, free for all, capture the flag, domination,...): it didn't work as planned at the beginning. there were problems with the sky, the weapons places, the flags in ctf (which didn't appear) and the plasma (which didn't appear too). Also, I used a texture which isn't under GplV2. Textures and spawns are already done and don't need to be changed, so the map itself doesn't need much work. the First thing I'll do, is to make it only playable on FFA, the layout is simple and much efficient for FFA but not really adapted to CTF. Then, I'll work on the others problem, the sky and the pushs. It doesn't need more than 2 hours of work I guess. I you need more datas about the map, because you are a pervert, an old man or have nothing to do, click here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4164.0

Mx1Ctf8:

When I made it, I thought it was the best map I have ever made, but it totally failed. I played it with people once done and I realized that it really didn't work. the first floor wasn't used at all, the captures were too frequent, the items were too many, the paths were too shorts,... It wasn't brutal like I wanted it to be, it was just unplayable. If teams were not well balanced, the game was finished on 2 minutes. There will be much more work than on the other map. The layout will naturally change a bit. I won't only make the corridors longer: I will make another rooms, to make it less fluid but more interesting. That way, fights will be able to happen on the midfielder (before people only died on bases and the attacker could take the flag and run until his own flag, before the defender fragged him). Secondly, the items need to be replaced. thirdly, the bases need to be much more distinguished: this time I'll use anther thing as light, the light were much better when they were neutral (yellow). This map would need something like 6 or 7 hours of work: I need to change the layout and this ask much work out of the editor, on paper, I woudn't like it to be still as unplayable as it is actually.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 04:47:32 AM by Moixie » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »

Those maps are going to be your contributions to the pack? Nice.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »

Hi all. Somethings are changed "a little"  Tongue

I have take a weapon spawn texture from Evil Lair.

Tha downstair floor it's really a little bit dark but who care ? Tongue

I hope you like the new handmade teleporter with my really ugly shader effect.....i'll fix it soon...

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:00:42 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »

That weapon spawn was in OA as well. Tongue
In fact, most of evillair's packages are in OA by way of being GPL'd for Nexuiz.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »

LAST(?) UPDATE !

I've modified the teleporter FX. This is good for me  Tongue

I'm near to release this first map but first of all i'll give you the PK3 to try it and tell me if is good or if it is some thing to change.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:01:17 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »

Hello, I have bad news. I PM'd Pulchr and asked him hf he noticed this thread, and this is his answer:
Hi Gig!
No, I hadn't seen that thread. Good luck with it!
I won't participate and finish pul1ffa as I don't have the time and motivation for it. [...]
There's a slightly later version at the AfterShock forums, but that's not finished either.
Happy Xmas! Smiley

Sad  Sad

@Knight: Noticing you added Pul1ffa to the unofficial maps thread, did you use the latest version posted in these forums, of from the AfterShock forums?

@Akom... Maybe I lost a passage, what's the link between a map of yours and "Moixie was here"?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »

@Akom... Maybe I lost a passage, what's the link between a map of yours and "Moixie was here"?

Nothing, it's only a joke Tongue Tongue
(MOIXIE don't kill me Tongue )

Wink
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:52:01 AM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »

@Gig: I've used Google to find that map.

@Akom: That would be a nice easter egg. Tongue Something like UT's DM-Codex famous secret would work?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »

News ! I have uploaded the final version of the map, tell me if you like it and if is good.

Now what i want to know is: The download link will be placed here or send via PM at Neon_Knight ? (or someone else ?)

Tell me.
Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:02:07 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »

What about uploading it here, so we can test it for the pack? We have plenty of time, the pack is going to be released in Easter.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »

What about uploading it here, so we can test it for the pack? We have plenty of time, the pack is going to be released in Easter.

No problem, but everyone can download it if i post it here.
Ok, nevermind.
Here is the download link:
Code:
https://www.box.com/s/u5kkxjkd18lolltqkrkq

Download instruction here:
Code:
http://akom74.forumattivo.com/t164-how-to-download

Enjoy ! I hope you like it and tell me if i have to change something.

EDIT: Another thing: i miss something, right ? The COPYING that i don't have, or better i have one dated 2006......XD.....

Wink
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:54:03 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »

I didn't test Akom's map yet, I download it once my post finished.

I worked a bit on the 2 maps I talked about some posts ago. I fixed many problems of the 1rst map, mxmn5 but there are still some problems  more... that I just discovered, it's almost finished. I worked much more on the other, the ctf. I added some screenshot so you can see how much it changed.

Well, I should be able to post both maps tomorrow, during the evening. I wanted to post them today but there were some complications and I couldn't.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:08:39 PM by Moixie » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »

Pretty cool, Moixie!

No problem, but everyone can download it if i post it here.
Ok, nevermind.
Here is the download link:
Code:
https://www.box.com/s/u5kkxjkd18lolltqkrkq

Download instruction here:
Code:
http://akom74.forumattivo.com/t164-how-to-download

Enjoy ! I hope you like it and tell me if i have to change something.

EDIT: Another thing: i miss something, right ? The COPYING that i don't have, or better i have one dated 2006......XD.....

Wink
Well, the idea is for the rest of us to test the maps, so we can refine them when the pack is launched.

This week I'm going to post screens of my own maps, as I, fortunately, have a clear idea about how the maps should look.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: