Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130697 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #725 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »

Could you please post your shaderlist.txt? If you already did some thought about which shaders are less useful and can be left out...

I've dited it and solve the 3 dirs dropped, now all work fine  Tongue Grin

By the way, if you use the default shaderlist.txt and add 1 to 6 custom shader, you dont hve any problem......i think....
.....depends from how many textures the shader use......

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #726 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:39 AM »

By the way, if you use the default shaderlist.txt and add 1 to 6 custom shader, you dont hve any problem......i think....
Default shaderlist.txt lists only q3 shader files... OA has got much more of them. And, as we saw with my "stripes" shader, if you use a shader that is not in shaderlist.txt of Q3Radiant, some of its properties (e.g. being non-solid) will not work correctly in-game, and of course this is bad.
Hence, adding OA shaders in Q3Radiant is important, but they are too many shader files for it to handle... so one has to cut some of them out... but how to decide which folders leave out?

I was just wondering... what if I would "join" various OA .shader files in a few bigger shader files, to have a shorter shaderlist.txt? Could that cause some problems?

PS: NetRadiant seems to do not have this "stupid" shaderlist.txt at all (I don't see shaderlist.txt option in it)... if only that program would have been more friendly for use for me, and would have not had that "missing shader image" problem (the same shaders, under Q3Radiant, seem to automatically show an image instead).

PPS: Akom, how do you see ammo boxes and TA/OA specific entities in your "tweaked" Q3Radiant?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:40:17 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #727 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »

Default shaderlist.txt lists only q3 shader files... OA has got much more of them. And, as we saw with my "stripes" shader, if you use a shader that is not in shaderlist.txt of Q3Radiant, some of its properties (e.g. being non-solid) will not work correctly in-game, and of course this is bad.
Hence, adding OA shaders in Q3Radiant is important, but they are too many shader files for it to handle... so one has to cut some of them out... but how to decide which folders leave out?

I was just wondering... what if I would "join" various OA .shader files in a few bigger shader files, to have a shorter shaderlist.txt? Could that cause some problems?

PS: NetRadiant seems to do not have this "stupid" shaderlist.txt at all (I don't see shaderlist.txt option in it)... if only that program would have been more friendly for use for me, and would have not had that "missing shader image" problem (the same shaders, under Q3Radiant, seem to automatically show an image instead).

PPS: Akom, how do you see ammo boxes and TA/OA specific entities in your "tweaked" Q3Radiant?

If you make an unique file for shader you have the same problem, it non depend from the number of shader in shaderlist.txt, but depends from how many textures are called from that shaders.

I se the ammo boxes as wireframes, but i think i have do something wrong, but who care ? It work in the game  Tongue no problem  Grin Grin

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #728 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »

In all of my GTKRadiant years I've also seen those ammo packs as wired, yet they do work in the game.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #729 on: May 16, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »

I think you dont have to leave folders out really, you only choose the one or two shader you want to use for a map and change the shaderlist.txt one shader at time. I mean to prevent the dirs dropped.

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #730 on: May 16, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »

My GTKRadiant for Linux does not seem to have this limitation - I've put all shaders available to shaderlist.txt. I've compiled it myself Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #731 on: May 20, 2013, 03:18:47 AM »

Excuse me Akom... with my "fooled" Q3Radiant install I'm not able to compile any map.
I got an error SetQdriFromPath: no 'quake' in C:/OA/baseoa/maps/anymap.map
Any idea?

Another thing. I'm trying to add some "eye candy" to my map. I'm trying to make some tiles "shiny" (meaning "fake" light reflection, that however you can see "moving" while you move), so I started searching for existing "shining" OA shaders. I tried various maps, and it turns out that very, very few OA maps use "shiny" shaders, and this is bad (Q3 used more!). I've found out a couple in patch 088 (scripts/clown.shader), so I used one of them to make my own.

If I try to add this:
textures/gig/tile_floor1
{
   qer_editorimage textures/gig/tile_floor1.jpg

{
      map textures/gig/tile_floor1.jpg
      rgbGen identity

}
   {
      map textures/base_wall/chrome_env.jpg
      tcGen environment
      rgbGen oneminusvertex
      tcmod scale .5 .5
   }
   {
      map textures/gig/tile_floor1.jpg
      blendFunc add
      rgbGen identity

}
   {
      map $lightmap
      blendFunc filter
      rgbGen identity
   }
}
to my shader file, and then load the map, the only thing I can notice is (maybe) a little less "sature" color for the tiles. And the reflections? I don't know!

And if I try to compile the map with its .shader file in my shaderlist.txt, it does not compile, it gives me an ERROR "LoadTGA: Only type 2 (RGB), 3 (gray) and 10 (RGB) tga images supported".

What? In that shader, all files refereced are .jpg, not .tga.... what does that mean?

UPDATE: It seemed to have no effect due to the fact I had r_vertexlight enabled (due to a previous test). Once disabled, the shader works. Anyway, this does not explain why does map compiling fail if that shader file is in shaderlist.txt! Help!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:48:35 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #732 on: May 20, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »

Any idea?

It parses to expect a "Quake III Arena" or "Quake3" folder. It's very dirty.
Akom probably maps for OA using a Quake3 installation, which kind of goes against the whole this-isnt-q3 independence of the project.
I believe I posted before on NOT recommending old q3radiant and q3map
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:50:04 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #733 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »

Any idea?

It parses to expect a "Quake III Arena" or "Quake3" folder. It's very dirty.
Akom probably maps for OA using a Quake3 installation, which kind of goes against the whole this-isnt-q3 independence of the project.
I believe I posted before on NOT recommending old q3radiant and q3map

You are right, i have only deleted the Q3A PK3 and replaced them with the OA PK3.

ERROR "LoadTGA: Only type 2 (RGB), 3 (gray) and 10 (RGB) tga images supported".

This means that the shader need a TGA file to work, if you dont convert the JPG to TGA you will never compile the map. It happened to me too Tongue

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #734 on: May 21, 2013, 08:30:31 AM »

If someone could help me fixing the problems I have with NetRadiant (e.g. a lot of "missing shader image"... I can't manually add "qer_editorimage" infos to all those shaders! - Or how to track down those "Warning: surface at xyz too large for desired samplesize/lightmapsize/lightmapscale combination, inscreased samplesize from 16 to 32" messages?), I could try again to switch to it.

Example: compiling my map does not give the same result if I do it from Q3Radiant of from NetRadiant. I tried all the "final" compiling options in the NetRadiant menu... the compiling takes much longer than from Q3Radiant, and the results, well... suck.
Some things are more bright than expected, while what is in the shadows is really too dark. And there are some places (most notably, in the BFG room) where the weapon in you hand, instead of gradually switching from illuminated to not, abruptly goes dark (this does not happen with q3radiant).

Is it possible that the differences in the sky shader itself cause this?
The sky I used in Q3:
textures/skies/toxicskytim_dm8
//used in tim_dm8

{
   surfaceparm noimpact
   surfaceparm nolightmap
//   surfaceparm sky

q3map_sun   1 1 0.5 85 220 40
   q3map_surfacelight 120

q3map_lightimage textures/skies/toxicsky.tga
   qer_editorimage textures/skies/inteldimredclouds.tga
   skyparms - 512 -
   //cloudparms 512 full
   {
      map textures/skies/inteldimclouds.tga
      tcMod scale 3 2
      tcMod scroll 0.15 0.15
      depthWrite
   }
   {
      map textures/skies/intelredclouds.tga
      blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
      tcMod scale 3 3
      tcMod scroll 0.05 0.05
   }
}

The same shader in OA:
textures/skies/toxicskytim_dm8
{
   surfaceparm noimpact
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   surfaceparm sky
   q3map_lightsubdivide 256
   q3map_surfacelight 400
   q3map_globaltexture
   q3map_sun 1 1 0.5 150 30 60
   skyParms full 700 -
   {
      map textures/skies/dimclouds.tga
      tcMod scroll -0.013 0.04
   }
   {
      map textures/skies/dimclouds.tga
      blendfunc add
      tcMod scroll 0.02 0.07
   }
}
If I compile the map in Q3, and then play it in OA, the color of the sky changes, but the map lightning seems more or less the same.
Any idea about the reason why, in the original shader, they commented out "//surfaceparm sky"?
Maybe it's that "q3map_surfacelight 120" -> "q3map_surfacelight 400" that causes some surfaces to be too bright?
Maybe it's this implementation of toxicskytim_dm8 in OA that sucks, and I should try more skies... but the longer compiling times from NetRadiant actually make "trial-and-error" tests a pain...

PS: the "shiny surface" shader I mentioned in my previous post works quite well. I would suggest mappers to use similar effects more. You can also easily achieve a slightly different version (in OA, less distracting) by specifying "chrome_env2.jpg" instad of "chrome_env.jpg", depending from what you wish. However, the effects of the shader are very noticeable or little noticeable depending from your texture...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:01:25 AM by Gig » Logged

CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #735 on: May 21, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »

Hey Gig,

Probably the difference is that Q3Radiant calls "Q3Map v1.0p (c) 1999 Id Software Inc." to compile the map and NetRadiant calls the newer version "Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.17n".  The first is "q3map.exe" while the second is "q3map2.exe".  From what I understand, the new version has improved (although you're probably debating that right now) shader handling.

CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #736 on: May 21, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »

Gig,

If you're looking for "eye candy" for your maps, take a look at Simon's work.  He doesn't use GLSL and it's all work (read magic) is done with q3map2 shaders.  An excellent example of the "stripes" on a jump pad can be found here ... http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/mp/focal.htm 

Also, take a look at the focal point shader work.  It's amazing!  You can download the source map and take a look at how he does his shaders.  When you start to understand what's he's doing, you'll be blown away.  I'm just starting to understand his blending techniques, phong shading and trying building a map based on his work and mods I'm doing to the shaders.  It certainly won't be GPLv2 but it's giving me a whole bunch of stuff to learn right now Wink  I'll post my map once I have the 'Swamp' portion done (1/4 of the final map).

Cheers!

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #737 on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:41 AM »

Any news about your maps, people?
This is taking too long...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #738 on: May 26, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »

Sorry for having not released V8 yet. I've spent the last week working on some ways to make the map look a bit better (have you followed the GLSL thread? What do you think about this?). I'd like to post the next version with the GLSL water working correctly!  Smiley But I also added some "classic" shaders, to make some "shining" surfaces. And I did a couple of minor changes that involve gameplay.

I've also done some tries to compile the map from NetRadiant instead of from Q3Radiant... The OA version of the sky I used gives a little too much different lighting results from the original one (take a look to this shader comparison), so I made a modified version of it to try make it illuminate more like the original one. But again, I can't figure out why when I go to the end of the BFG room, the weapon in my hand appears suddently dark, instead of gradually, if the map is compiled with Q3MAP2 (using all different "final" compile options in NetRadiant - PS: which one should I use?).
NeonKnight, could you please try to compile the "old" Udestruction V7 on your machine, and tell me if you have any idea about the reason why that strange thing happen? Thank you!

PS: I think I will not be able to release V8 in the first half of the week, I'll be busy with work in the next few days.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #739 on: May 26, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »

I have figured out that my maps was completed for this first volume. Am i wrong ? May i have misunderstanding ?
I was waiting for the second volume....... Tongue

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #740 on: May 27, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »

I have figured out that my maps was completed for this first volume. Am i wrong ? May i have misunderstanding ?

Wink
Well, in the meanwhile you could try to add some extra "eye candy" to your maps (GLSL if you wish, but not necessarily... nice things can be done also with "classic" shaders), or add Domination and Double Domination support in your FFA maps.  Smiley

CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #741 on: May 27, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »

Well, in the meanwhile you could try to add some extra "eye candy" to your maps (GLSL if you wish, but not necessarily

My two cents on GLSL stuff...  Given the problems I'm having trying to get it working on my laptop, I would be careful adding any GLSL support to maps.  If a gamer has a similar system to mine which does not support it, your 'eye candy' will look like crap, thus doing the complete opposite effect you're looking for.

To me there should be a way to identify in the .glsl file which extensions or version it's using and have the game engine check the user's version.  If it's below minimal requirements, the game should have a way to look at a different shader file that does not have GLSL code in it.  This way, users with "better" system get the full effect without affecting those who have 'regular' or older systems.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #742 on: May 27, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »

Wink
Well, in the meanwhile you could try to add some extra "eye candy" to your maps (GLSL if you wish, but not necessarily... nice things can be done also with "classic" shaders), or add Domination and Double Domination support in your FFA maps.  Smiley

My time is more little than before, i dont think to use GLSL feature for my map at the moment.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #743 on: May 27, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »

@CGB01:
Well, in part it's due to the fact that Hitch's files still need some tweaks (and sometimes you tried to use them in the wrong way), and in part there is some problem with different glsl versions.

However, making also the "non-glsl" version of each shader look good is a main objective. Glsl is optional. If a certain glsl program does not compile correctly on a certain machine, the standard shader is automatically used instead.

Update: it seems there is however a flaw in current glsl implementation, that prevents applying diffent "blendfunc"s when using glsl or not... and this can make it difficult to have a certan shader look good in both glsl and standard modes... D'oh!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:11:06 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #744 on: May 30, 2013, 01:35:33 AM »

Guys, another question about NetRadiant.
Unlike Q3Radiant, it does not place a "shaderlist.txt" file in my game install folder\scripts (Q3radiant install places a shaderlist.txt in your installation folder/scripts, that already contains Q3 shaders... so you can just add a few lines mentioning your .shader files). So, I imagine NetRadiant loads it from directly from the .pk3. So, what's the correct way to add my own shader files into NetRadiant? If I create a shaderlist.txt into my /scripts folder, will all the shaders listed in the pk3 be ignored? Should I mention both "stock" and "my" .shader files in that shaderlist.txt? Or would the editor "sum" the shaderlist.txt it finds in the pk3s with the one in my folder, so I can write only mine there?

Reminder: having a .shader file mentioned in shaderlist.txt is useful for two things: 1) the editor knows shaders' "surface parameters" while compiling (e.g. knows that brush is "water" instead of "solid"); 2) allows to see its shaders in the editor (otherwise, you would see them only if the shader has got the same exact name of an image file.

PS: still hoping to get some help for the previous NetRadiant troubles (e.g. this one)...

PPS: yet another question about NetRadiant (I really can't map without knowing its differences from Q3Radiant)... in Q3Radiant, to make a (A) brush "get" the same texture of another brush (B), aligned to it... I simply select (ctrl+left click) A, then right-click on B (from the 3d view). Done. What I am supposed to do in NetRadiant for the same result? In NetRadiant, right click in 3d view just enters/leaves "free look" mode.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:58:34 AM by Gig » Logged

CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #745 on: May 30, 2013, 06:13:12 AM »

Hey Gig,

My understanding is that if NetRadiant doesn't find a shaderlist.txt file in \scripts directory, it will use the default shaderlist for the game you've selected.  In the case of Open Arena, the default shader file is found in the NetRadiant Install Dir\oa.game\baseoa\default_shaderlist.txt, but I could be wrong there.  I unpacked all of the OA pk3s to get all the textures and scripts out of it into my working baseoa directory.

Re: (PPS), I would suggest you look in Q3Radiant to find what the shortcut key is (help/command list...) and find the same in NetRadiant.  Please let me know what that shortcut key is, I didn't know you could do that!  Wink

Cheers!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #746 on: May 30, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »

Guys another thing. I just realized that any "water" brush I use in my map (tried with different shaders and different brushes), has got double "marks on walls" (also on water surface, other than on the bottom). I really don't get this. If i use the same shader on another map, the problem does not occur. Any idea?
The problem occurs also if I compile the map from NetRadiant instead of Q3 Radiant.

PLEASE HELP!!!

PS:
In the case of Open Arena, the default shader file is found in the NetRadiant Install Dir\oa.game\baseoa\default_shaderlist.txt, but I could be wrong there.  I unpacked all of the OA pk3s to get all the textures and scripts out of it into my working baseoa directory.

What? My NetRadiant folder does NOT have that file! How's that possible? In oa.game\basea I have only entities.def, entities-ta.def, entities.ent and entitites-ta.ent... nothing more.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:17:07 AM by Gig » Logged

CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #747 on: May 30, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »

What? My NetRadiant folder does NOT have that file! How's that possible? In oa.game\basea I have only entities.def, entities-ta.def, entities.ent and entitites-ta.ent... nothing more.

Then I suggest you re-download the package and re-install because it's in the original zip file...  http://ingar.satgnu.net/gtkradiant/files/netradiant-20120705-win32.zip

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #748 on: May 30, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »

@Gig: I have the same issue with GTKradiant 1.6 for textures alignement and i leaving that editor to return to Q3Radiant that work better with textures. I suggest you to build the map with Q3Radiant and use NETradiant (or GTKradiant) to add TA items or other things and for compile the map.

For double mark in the water you have to resize the brush of the water to exceed in the brush around it, and also the low part.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #749 on: May 30, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »

Then I suggest you re-download the package and re-install because it's in the original zip file...  http://ingar.satgnu.net/gtkradiant/files/netradiant-20120705-win32.zip

The one I downloaded was this one: http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/netradiant-1.5.0-20110223-withoa.zip
From this thread by Sago007: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2722.0
Is that flawed?  Huh

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: