Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1131432 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #625 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »

Ehi ehi, i'm the one who drink in the week end, don't steal my rule !!  Tongue Tongue Grin

@Gig & Pelya: You can stay in front of the door till it close, and you cannot be hurted. If you run to take the ammo you cannot come back, try the map with the pc and try it, by the way i have finish to fix the oa_akomdm3 and if some one want to edit he can with the original .map file once the official mappack will be released. By the way, you have to fight Adriano !! There is no place where you can hide !! He find you and frag you in 2 seconds.....

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #626 on: April 08, 2013, 02:56:58 AM »

As I said, I was talking relying on my -not so good- memory, before.
Now I actually tried the map. It turns out that, in fact, camping there could be a very bad idea, because the camper may be killed without even noticing!
The problem is that this thing looks weird... that's a one-way wall against the laws of physics... Huh

Explaination to other people:
When you enter the secret passage and do a step towards the portal, you see a wall suddently appearing behind you, out of nowhere. From the inside of the passage, that is a "solid" wall (your shots will hit that wall).
From the outside of the passage, you don't see that wall, and your shots will pass through it.
Look at the screenshots, with the same scene as viewed by two different players: the player which is outside can see (and hit) the player that is inside; the player that is inside sees only a solid wall (other players and bullets of any kind could suddently appear through it, out of nowhere).

Hence, you're right that's not a very good camping spot. One might still hide there in Elimination/LMS, but that's really not as safe as I imagined.
The only problem is the strange effect of a such "ghost" wall...  Undecided

P.S.: You mentioned Adriano... any news from him? His feedback about OACMP maps in this thread would be welcome...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:43:59 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #627 on: April 08, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »

The "wall of mistery" is a simple_patch_mesh  Grin

No news form Adriano yet, maybe he has some work and the real life takes much time as you know.

Wink
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:48:29 AM by Akom74 » Logged

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #628 on: April 09, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »

Hello all,
here I am, thanks for the words, Gig and Akom!
@Gig: I am glad to help engaged people (who wants to bring OA forward) where I can.
@Akom: I am a gamer. And it is not the first year in OA. Wink
I read the forum a bit yesterday, but hadn't time to response. So I do it now.^^

Well, I'll tell only the things I would change on several maps of this pack:

╠moixie's ctf map┤
# I tend always to run on the upper floor on left or right side. Flagg to flagg in 6 seconds...it is nearly a straight way (see shoot0001)
--> 2 solutions:
a) add a jumppad where the rocket is and move rocket before jumppad (see shoot0000)
b) make something (obstacles/door closer) that you can't easily go straight (see red line on shot0001 again)

╠moixie's dm map┤
#as I said to you already, replace 2of4 LG's up there with 2 plasma (4LG's in a row are too much)

╠akom's ctf map┤
#Idk if I said already, but I think, when you want to use a BFG, then not with 20ammo (cause with 20 attemps even a noob hits you), 10 are enough

╠akom's dm2 map┤
#Just a little thing: I think you set a clip under the skybox, but it is a little bit too low when you make a rocketjump on jumppad
-> I would move the clip a bit higher, so that you can freely move also in high in air

╠akom's dm4 map┤
#Moixie said to me that the rail is overpowered there, especially because of the gravitation you can take all the time in the world to make the rail shot =)
Well, there is something true on it.^^
-> replace rail with another weapon then

╠akom's dm5 map┤
#for sure someone already said it... you can jump on the platform of the 2 men without dieing (see shot0003)

╠jangroothuijse's ctf map┤
#I think there is two much health on one place, I would delet the one in the middle (see shot0004)
#I would replace the +25 on side way with yellow armor
#there is a +25 misplaced on both bases
#there is a little piece with red texture on blue base (near shotgun)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:17:25 PM by adriano » Logged
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #629 on: April 09, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »

I continue with a new post, because picture uploads are limitted to 4. So...

╠jangroothuijse's dm1 map┤
#the rocket on high platform is intentionally not in the center?
#some walls seem to don't fit together or there are little stripes between them (see shot0008) ->take a look again on your .map ...maybe there are mistakes?

╠jangroothuijse's dm2 map┤
#I think the map itself is basically too big
#there are some places where you can jump on another platform just with a good circlejump or with 2 or more jumps (I think it should be to make in one easy circlejump)
#I don't really like how the shape goes thinner and thinner to the wall -> better do something like a ledge (see shot0010)
#and maybe someone don't notice that this is a teleporter! (see shot0011)

╠jangroothuijse's dm3 map┤
#Moixie proposed to add also a speed-item...why not?
#as you know, the walls near flight-item doesn't fit together, but it looks also a bit strange when you look the pillar from down (from above there is a white texture, from down it is invisible) (see shot0014)

╠gig's map┤
#the +5 are spread here and there and not in a group (normally I would say it's not good but in destruction-map it may fit well)->ok
#the jumppads on the ground are a little bit too flat, so that you maybe don't notice them when you stay a bit far away of it and maybe you don't find how to get on upper platforms in a fast way) -> the moving effect of jangroothuijse's jumppads (in this case: white rings moving up) would fit well here, so you can easily see the jumppads also from far away. Brown/yellow squares moving up could be a solution.

However... it is nice to see new maps and a lot of them has their own special style which isn't so common in OA. It is defenitely something new.

Byeeee
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:19:03 PM by adriano » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #630 on: April 10, 2013, 01:13:54 AM »

╠gig's map┤
#the +5 are spread here and there and not in a group (normally I would say it's not good but in destruction-map it may fit well)->ok
#the jumppads on the ground are a little bit too flat, so that you maybe don't notice them when you stay a bit far away of it and maybe you don't find how to get on upper platforms in a fast way) -> the moving effect of jangroothuijse's jumppads (in this case: white rings moving up) would fit well here, so you can easily see the jumppads also from far away. Brown/yellow squares moving up could be a solution.

Thank you. I don't know if I will be able to do something similar. I have no idea about shader writing. Maybe I could try to re-use jan's effect... but I don't know...
Or maybe could I simply make the external borders of the jump-pads with a "more colored" texture?

@All: still about obelisks, I have also another question. If I place an obelisk over a decorative "gametype-dependent func-static brush" thin platform, should I align the origin with that "ghost" platform, or with the worldspawn floor under it, to avoid bots Overload bug? Considering that bots consider such "ghost" walls like being there also in the gametypes such brushes do not appear, I imagine I should align the obelisk to those, but I prefer to ask.
However, I think I may also try a different approach, placing the thin colored "plaftorm" around the belisk instead of directly under it. But I was curious to know.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:24:08 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #631 on: April 10, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »

╠akom's ctf map┤
#Idk if I said already, but I think, when you want to use a BFG, then not with 20ammo (cause with 20 attemps even a noob hits you), 10 are enough.

For the BFG 20 ammo is the default value, i can not modify it.

Quote from: adriano
╠akom's dm2 map┤
#Just a little thing: I think you set a clip under the skybox, but it is a little bit too low when you make a rocketjump on jumppad
-> I would move the clip a bit higher, so that you can freely move also in high in air.

Done, now the sky is higher than before and the map have another skybox with stars and asteroids.

╠akom's dm4 map┤
#Moixie said to me that the rail is overpowered there, especially because of the gravitation you can take all the time in the world to make the rail shot =)
Well, there is something true on it.^^
-> replace rail with another weapon then.

Maybe i can change the railgun with the rocketlauncher.

╠akom's dm5 map┤
#for sure someone already said it... you can jump on the platform of the 2 men without dieing (see shot0003)

Fixed, now you die if go there  Grin

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »

╠akom's ctf map┤
#Idk if I said already, but I think, when you want to use a BFG, then not with 20ammo (cause with 20 attemps even a noob hits you), 10 are enough.

Isn't there the "count" key to modify that?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:47:26 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »

╠akom's ctf map┤

Isn't there the "count" key to modify that?

Whoops, you're right, i've forgot that key  Tongue
I will modify the entity ammo count.

P.S.: oa_akomdm4 Modified and skybox fixed.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #634 on: April 11, 2013, 09:24:08 AM »

Wink
What did you place in the place of the railgun? A rocket launcher? The map already has one... what about making it spawn "teamed" with a TA weapon? Just an idea...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #635 on: April 11, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

Wink
What did you place in the place of the railgun? A rocket launcher? The map already has one... what about making it spawn "teamed" with a TA weapon? Just an idea...

Now the rocketlauncher replace the railgun and the railgun replace the rocketlauncher.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #636 on: April 12, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

Pelya, it looks like your http server replies 403 (forbidden) when the game tries to autodownload z_udestruction-v06.pk3... and you return to main menu.
Strange, I thought that, with sv_allowdownload 1, in case of problems downloading via HTTP, the game would have reverted to UDP...
Maybe that fallback mechanism works with 404 (file not found) errors, but not with 403 errors?  Huh
Sago, any hint?
(Anyway I have to check my cl_allowdownload value... I could have set it to 4 -http only- for some test years ago? That's unlikely, but I have to check.)

About my map... during the next week I should give you a new version, with Harvester and Overload support, and with "arrows" that should help players find gametype objectives such as flags...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:36:07 PM by Gig » Logged

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #637 on: April 13, 2013, 06:16:22 AM »

@All, thanks for the feedback, you'll be seeing the results in the coming week.

New version of oajgdm3:
jan.groothuijse.net/img/z_zoajgdm3alpha5.pk3

Its not completely done yet, needs to support more gamemodes and perhaps another powerup. But i think i'll fix oajgctf1 first.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #638 on: April 13, 2013, 07:14:56 AM »

I've fixed 403 error on OACMP test server, and added oajgdm3alpha5 map.
Also I've added custom votes to add/remove bots, and to restart map rotation - please use that vote when leaving server, because changing map/gametype using vote breaks map rotation script for some reason (or maybe I am lousy server admin, it doesn't break it if you select "Next map").
Also I've noticed that when downloading map using in-game UDP downloader the downloading stucks at 32 Mb, that's probably an engine limitation (or maybe my custom-compiled server). Anyway, it works okay through HTTP.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #639 on: April 14, 2013, 04:21:43 AM »

Thank you Pelya.
I checked, and I had cl_allowdownload 1... so I don't know why it didn't fall back to UDP download ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Autodownload#Fast.2C_slow_or_both - Anyway I never tried some of them... I wrote that part mostly reading ioquake3 documentation!).
Maybe it depends from your custom server binaries? Are them based upon 0.8.8 binaries or upon "new" binaries that support the new "sv_dlrate" cvar?

About jan's map, I will test it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:26:31 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #640 on: April 15, 2013, 03:48:21 AM »

Jan, I quickly took a look to oajdm3alpha5.

Things i noticed:
- It looks like the map lacks the "message" key for worldspawn (the "long" map name shown during map loading).
- The central jumppad has got that small glitch where the two bevels touch (first screenshot, very think black lines in the middle). Did you place the common/caulk behind them?
- Going very high with flying, you can reach at least a couple of places where you are more external than some of the walls, giving the graphic glitch you can see in second and third screenshots. Not sure how to avoid it. Maybe placing another brush on the outer part of the wall? Or making that wall much more "thick", to be have its outer part aligned with the wall you are over? Not sure...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #641 on: April 15, 2013, 06:09:18 AM »

I want to push the deadline a week and some days later. The pack may be released on May 1st, Workers' Day, with a delivery deadline set to April 30th. Do you agree with this?

Also, maps which didn't made the cut will be featured in OACMP2.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:13:10 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #642 on: April 15, 2013, 07:06:09 AM »

I think that at least a BETA3 of the mappack is required. Maps are getting various fixes, new gametypes added, Akom re-organized his textures... so I think a BETA3 is required (and we need some more days before it). Hopefully it may also act as a Release Candidate, but I can't assure it.
I think some maps are not yet ready for RC stage.
It's too early to say, but probably forcing an official release for 1st May could be an error. We should have -and test!- a RC before the official mappack release.

@Jan, I opened your CTF map in the editor, and I noticed a strange thing (maybe it's obvious for an expert mapper, but for me it sounds quite strange).
I don't understand the meaning of those enormous "botclip" walls (with relatively small "clusterportal" holes into them) in the map, see screenshots. What's their purpose? Could them be the cause of the strange behavior of bots in that map?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:10:24 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #643 on: April 15, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »

Once again, I agree that the pack needs testing, but at the same time, I (at the very least, and I'm sure I'm not the only one) don't want this to be released in 2340, I (again, I'm sure I'm not the only one) want it to be released, if possible, in 2013.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #644 on: April 15, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »

I think that at least a BETA3 of the mappack is required. Maps are getting various fixes, new gametypes added, Akom re-organized his textures... so I think a BETA3 is required (and we need some more days before it). Hopefully it may also act as a Release Candidate, but I can't assure it.
I think some maps are not yet ready for RC stage.
It's too early to say, but probably forcing an official release for 1st May could be an error. We should have -and test!- a RC before the official mappack release.

@Jan, I opened your CTF map in the editor, and I noticed a strange thing (maybe it's obvious for an expert mapper, but for me it sounds quite strange).
I don't understand the meaning of those enormous "botclip" walls (with relatively small "clusterportal" holes into them) in the map, see screenshots. What's their purpose? Could them be the cause of the strange behavior of bots in that map?

They could, what strange behavior?

Their purpose is to limit the number of area's in a cluster; large clusters make the bot AI harder to process and while it doesn't show up in (average) FPS, it does lead to 'botstutter', which happens when a frame takes a few ms longer to load, because the AI is eating CPU cycles (remember that oa is single threaded).

So those botclips split an otherwise very large cluster, into two, and the bots have a smaller set of area's to worry about.

I don't know the details of the AI algorithm, i have looked at it and concluded that its a lot code Smiley, i do buy into the idea that cutting number of area's in half will cut the down calculation costs big time by a much larger factor.

Clusterportals are small because they do have weird limits, and are a pain to debug (find out why its ignored and 2 clusters are merged)

@NeonKnight
Postponing is good, progress is obviously beeing made so at this time we don't have to worry about renaming it to Community Mappack Foverer.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #645 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:08 AM »

Once again, I agree that the pack needs testing, but at the same time, I (at the very least, and I'm sure I'm not the only one) don't want this to be released in 2340, I (again, I'm sure I'm not the only one) want it to be released, if possible, in 2013.

I agree with you. Dont worry, we can do it !! Tongue Cheesy Tongue

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »

Take your time, a week or two doesn't really matter (even a month does not), OA is updated roughly once per year, and some servers are still running 0.8.5 release.
G One
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »

The most important thing is a stable and beautiful final product.
In my opinion release date has no importance (if in 2013).
You can also release sometimes bugfix releases.

A wiki about free (as in free speech) games: https://libregamewiki.org/
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »

Update:

oa_akomdm1: Fix in progress.... (damn textures!  Tongue )
oa_akomdm2: Fixed ! (exchanged rocketlauncher with railgun)
oa_akomdm3: Fixed ! (new skybox GPLv2 compatible)
oa_akomdm4: Fixed ! (new skybox)
oa_akomdm5: Fixed ! (retextured some light and Skybox)
oa_akomctf1: Fixed ! (inserted bot_roam_entity and reduced ammo for BFG to 10)

Maybe tomorrow (Italian time) i can send the fixed versions to Neon_Knight.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #649 on: April 16, 2013, 02:54:19 AM »

They could, what strange behavior?
In this post, together with other things I noticed in various maps, I said that in OAJGCTF1ALPHA bots did not tend to roam around the map, but to spend most of their time in the place of the screenshot (near the underground passage.... now I see there is one of those big botclip walls near - maybe it's just a coincidence, and some simple item_botroam could fix bot roaming? I don't know.).

Their purpose is to limit the number of area's in a cluster; large clusters make the bot AI harder to process and while it doesn't show up in (average) FPS, it does lead to 'botstutter', which happens when a frame takes a few ms longer to load, because the AI is eating CPU cycles (remember that oa is single threaded).

So those botclips split an otherwise very large cluster, into two, and the bots have a smaller set of area's to worry about.
I thought that clusterportal was intended to subdivide clusters, while botclip was intended to act as an invisible wall or floor for bots. While "do not enter" areas tell bots they should not enter there (but may be forced go enter anyway to reach a flag or pushed by splash damage), botclip is like a solid wall for them (except the fact that they can see and shoot through it, I can guess).

I mean, if a certain passage is large 10 meters, why should we force bots to pass through the 5 central meters only?

http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documentation/q3radiant_manual/appndx/appn_c.htm <-- There is a "cluster portal" section here.
Unfortunately, I can't find a section explicitly talking about botclip.

I repeat... I'm very far from being an expert mapper.

----------------
About special brushes... opening oa_akomdm4 in the editor, I see two "do not enter" brushses on the doors that allow to reach the environment suit... is it due to the fact bots fell down too easily? But so, they do never take the item?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:02:26 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: