Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [DONE!] Hor+ aspect correction?  (Read 31643 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: July 29, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »

Currently OA uses Vert-, and compensating with a higher FOV value like 105 isn't optimal for appearance as it makes the weapon model appear low and thin.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:55:52 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:47:15 AM »

Currently OA uses Vert-, and compensating with a higher FOV value like 105 isn't optimal for appearance as it makes the weapon model appear low and thin.

what's vert supposed to mean; vertical?
You could make the fov more like a fisheye (which is pretty awesome if you ask me).

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »

Basically OA expanding its view like this at FOV 90 settings

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:17:46 PM »

That looks quite ugly in comperasion of normal fov, so why do we actually want that?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »

Because... this is what OA does right now.   Notice how your view is MUCH NARROWER and would be considered a mega failure for widescreen gaming.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:17:51 PM by fromhell » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:32:26 AM »

Good news! I was able to hack it in the renderer.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:16 AM »

Veeery interesting. Nice job, Fromhell!  Smiley

Now, how to be sure that will not be abused for gaining unfair advantages over other players?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »

Honestly, seems bad news to me. Isn't that the meaning of FOV; to be able to change the field of view (why else would it exist and carry that name)?

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »

to me it looks great. might play better at fov 90 16:9 than forcing fov 130 on a 4:3 but trial will tell. at the moment I'm playing with blank bands on each side of the screen and this really looks like it would help the immersion in the game. kudos!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »

Now, how to be sure that will not be abused for gaining unfair advantages over other players?
Maybe... if the year were still 1999. Almost every new game has Hor+, and this is the first i've heard of it as an unfair advantage. It's rare to encounter an eyefinity player anyhow.  What, you want me to take it out now, leaving less vertical space for widescreen players as before?
Isn't that the meaning of FOV; to be able to change the field of view
It's not the same. cg_fov alters vertical FOV.   Often the widescreen "support" is to raise the FOV to 105 to compensate the lack of actual 16:9 expansion but it wasn't perfect. I just fixed that workaround by recalculating the FOV automatically for any wider resolution, futureproofing it for the enthusiast surround setups.

Similarly I fixed the hud in cgame and the UI in missionpack to be expanding from the middle. I plan to use that expanded area...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:24:55 PM by fromhell » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 03:31:21 AM »

Maybe... if the year were still 1999. Almost every new game has Hor+, and this is the first i've heard of it as an unfair advantage. It's rare to encounter an eyefinity player anyhow.  What, you want me to take it out now, leaving less vertical space for widescreen players as before?
Sorry, I really have no idea about how modern games (or games in general) deal with this. It's years I don't play "recent" games (excluding cell phone games, most "recent" games I played were things like God of War 2 on PS2 -game dated 2007-, Quake Live -based upon the old Q3A game-...)... and I still use 4:3 PC monitors...  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:34:06 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 09:31:38 AM »

Maybe you should check this place

http://www.wsgf.org/mgl?page=1

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 01:04:10 AM »

Maybe you should check this place

http://www.wsgf.org/mgl?page=1
Interesting, but why does it mention "hor+" for all Quake series games?
For for Q1 and Q2 it seems to refer to unofficial renderers, a such note is not listed for Q3...

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 01:41:56 AM »

Perhaps because the user can control the horizontal FOV (with a cvar).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:02:06 AM »

Perhaps because the user can control the horizontal FOV (with a cvar).
But it seems standard "FOV" setting is not "HOR+".

Fromhell just added it to the engine, hence "hor+" was not in original Q3A...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 05:56:18 AM »

Because they used ports, which is a little misinforming. Normal Quake, Quake2 and Quake3 behavior are all Vert-.

Please note that Hor+ isn't a new thing - some '90s games even did this properly, like Battlezone II......way back in 1999, unpatched!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 09:26:08 AM »

In any case, if you say it's normal that fps games do automatically enlarge the field of view on widescreen, without limits, okay... I believe you. Smiley

Could you please however create a clientside cvar to allow to use original behavior, and a new dmflags value to optionally allow server admin to temporarily disable hor+ on the clients (there is already a dmflags which forces all players to see like having cg_fov 90)?

Gig from cell phone.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:31:45 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: