Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SGI OpenGL  (Read 14367 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: August 25, 2013, 03:45:17 AM »

It's an old 97-98 GL ICD that's software only. It was used in Cosmo Player.

However it is the fastest software ICD that I know of. So I decided to play around

- GL_NEAREST is the *fastest* texture mode you can do for this, mipmaps will just slow it down
- have to hack around to apply GL_NEAREST to 2d to keep the speed up
- 8-bit color works.........but only in screenshots.  It's also much much faster in that. I think there's an SDL surface bug regarding its 8bit output
- Alphablend is faster than subtractive/filter belnd so i'll stick to alpha backgrounds in the new menu
- There is no clamping.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:49:40 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 03:56:42 AM »

It's an old 97-98 GL ICD that's software only. It was used in Cosmo Player.

However it is the fastest software ICD that I know of. So I decided to play around

- GL_NEAREST is the *fastest* texture mode you can do for this, mipmaps will just slow it down
- have to hack around to apply GL_NEAREST to 2d to keep the speed up
- 8-bit color works.........but only in screenshots.  It's also much much faster in that. I think there's an SDL surface bug regarding its 8bit output
- Alphablend is faster than subtractive/filter belnd so i'll stick to alpha backgrounds in the new menu
- There is no clamping.

Very nice OA runs on such stuff, but shouldn't a game rather keep developing towards the future instead of the past? Wouldn't it be much nore valuable to announce a bughas been whiped out from new hardware then to hear typemachines run OA as well?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:20:45 AM »

If the game runs on way weaker hardware, it can be guaranteed that it can run well in newer hardware. This is one of the main complaints about the 0.x branch of OA, which sometimes lags as hell where the original Q3 doesn't. Hence all the optimizations.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 02:23:57 PM »

but shouldn't a game rather keep developing towards the future instead of the past?

That would only break compatibility with mods and other things if we went for a shadowmapped one piece skeletal ragdolly renderer... people sure forget about  the compatibility aspect a lot.   That's like telling Freedoom to switch to Id Tech 4 because it's newer, and i've seen plenty of id tech4 switch suggestions here on this very forum

If we do develop for the future, taking advantage of "nextgen" renderer features would require human resources we don't have and human resources we can't get (due to the fear of the whole GPL license thing among many artists out there).

OpenGameArt is not very useful, most of them are just fixated on making 2D rpgs and scavenging what they can from Blendswap.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:53:49 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »

Oh, yes, forgot DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:23 AM »

Don't get me wrong, but I wasn't towards doing shit of the nottodo-list (like going for id tech engine 4).
Just wondered why there seem more posts of older hardware than newer (as newer doesn't mean better always).

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: