Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Akomctf3  (Read 13976 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: October 13, 2013, 03:19:56 AM »

Hello everybody.

Here is another CTF for OA. Starting from oa_akomdm3, i've made a CTF version for this community, and also for other OA community  Grin.

Here is the Download link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/tqlxrwragqfw8f7ia872

Enjoy it and tell me.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »

Just downloaded the map and given a first look. It seems very nice.  Smiley
I have not yet tried with bots.

The only thing I can already say is that maybe it would require some color-coded lights or textures to better distinguish in which base you are.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

Tried also. I agree with Gig, those arrow decals alone (and the few team-colored decorations) aren't enough to distinguish both bases. Perhaps the jumppads could be team-colored as well with each team's base color? For example, blue jumppads inside of the blue base. Also add team banners, there are some of them (IICR) in the "cosmo/sfx" folder. The egyptsoc package (which you use in this map) also includes team-colored variants of the textures, take advantage of them.

So far, that's all I have to say by now.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:50:34 AM »

Thanks, i'll make some changes and add teams color.

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:04:14 PM »

Update !  Grin

Here is the Download Link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/tqlxrwragqfw8f7ia872

Updates:

- Fixed some geometry and add a couple of columns
 - Changed sme textures with Team textures
 - Added Team Flags with custom textures (taken from OA original)
 - Fixed a couple of item bugs  Tongue

I hope you like this version, tell me.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:53:03 AM »

Now it's more clear in which base you are. Good job!  Smiley

Just a very simple suggestion (although it's not very important). Look at the attached screenshot: what about moving the red and blue arrows (that are not visible in the screenshot) more near to the crossing, so that they would be visible also from where I am?

Although I haven't tried with bots yet, the map looks nice, what about starting adding location names and support for more gametypes?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »

Thanks for your feedback.

Things to do:

- Add team colored jumppads
 - Move team arrows in the crossroad as Gig suggested
 - Fix some lights
 - Add Name for Locations
 - Add support for Other OA Gametypes
 - Change the corridor's geometry to avoid the VIS problems to increase performance.

Wink
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:22:00 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »

I've given it another run. Now the bases are pretty identifiable, so kudos for that!

BUT! I took a look at the performance of the map, and there are some layout changes which must be done in order to improve in this area. Right now it's possible to see the other base from the very bottom of your base. This might look useful, but has a huge impact on the performance of the game, to the point of causing slowdown. As a suggestion, straight paths can be changed into C-shaped paths, inverted-C-shaped paths, or O-shaped paths. Always have cg_drawfps 1 (and vertex light off) so you can check where the most troublesome issues are.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »

Updated the "to do" list.

Thanks  Grin

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »

Checked out the map, well...

Once more, symmetrical (sigh). It's not bad if a ctf map is symmetrical as in the red and blue side, but when both sides within the bases is symmetric as well that's just lame. You can do so much more than just copy-pasting pieces of layout.
A lot of textures appear to be missing, the one below each flag and some trimming which is all around the walls of the map.
It has the same issues as it's DM version...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »

Once more, symmetrical (sigh). It's not bad if a ctf map is symmetrical as in the red and blue side, but when both sides within the bases is symmetric as well that's just lame. You can do so much more than just copy-pasting pieces of layout.
A lot of textures appear to be missing, the one below each flag and some trimming which is all around the walls of the map.

What issues of DM version ??

Textures missing is an error, if you use this map with the oa_akomctf2 the taxtures are all ok.
Sorry, my bad Tongue Cheesy

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »

Textures missing is an error, if you use this map with the oa_akomctf2 the taxtures are all ok.

Wink

Look at my post on the community mappack.
The textures appear after viewing akomctf2, but that seriously feels bad. Maps shouldn't be independent of each other.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:05:30 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »

Wink

Look at my post on the community mappack.
The textures appear after viewing akomctf2, but that seriously feels bad. Maps shouldn't be independent of each other.

Yes, i'm sorry for this error (bug), my bad Tongue Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: