Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: few tracks from me  (Read 26995 times)
mistone
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 29, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »

Hi all, i'm new here, so i think i would introduce myself somehow. i'm not a skilled player but i like playing OA for fun.
i tought that i could make some tracks for the game, but i dunno if i can make video game music at all.. i mean i've never been making music for games.
anyway here are links to some of my tracks that i've made recently. it's mostly jungle/dnb stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/mistone-3/oort-cloud
https://soundcloud.com/mistone-3/mistone-eris
https://soundcloud.com/mistone-3/mistone-windhound
thanks a lot to anyone who checks them out and have a nice day Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:42:06 AM »

If you want to contribute to official OA releases, you should check this link:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4104.0

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
mistone
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »

Thanks for reply!
well dunno if my tracks would fit the game but, which format should they be in? ogg?
mp3's cut whole range of sound tho i agree. i don't think if it would be a problem for me to export tracks in other format.
anyway it's just a suggestion. i'm not sure if my tracks are good for a game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:45:18 AM by mistone » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »

Waiting for Fromhell response about this tracks, i have only one thing to tell you:
Your tracks are good !!  Grin

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

mistone
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »

Wow man, thanks a LOT!
it means pretty much for me =)

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »

Yay!, people contributing.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:10:57 AM »

I think, if theese tracks will be released under GPLv2 and are full compatible with OA, there is no problem.
No ?  Huh

Wink

mistone
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »

Well, if you think they're good enough then why not, but how do i realease them with GPL?
sorry i've never did that x)

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »

Well, if you think they're good enough then why not, but how do i realease them with GPL?
sorry i've never did that x)

It's GPLv2, but ask Gig that know better than me this gpl stuff  Tongue Grin

You also can make a group of music to insert in our maps and release them under GPLv2, so we can use them.
If you like our job, i mean.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 02:41:44 AM »

I'm not expert in making music. However, just like everything done for official OA stuff, to comply with GPLv2, everything you place inside your music has to be "free" (either GPLv2 or Public Domain... we asked Fromhell about CC-0 license being allowed or not, but I fear we had no response about that -or I don't remember-). That means you have to use a program that does not impose licensing limitations to files it creates... and that every single sound included (e.g. a drum, a guitar, a scream) has to comply with the license (you cannot just grab a random file from the net and place it into your own work... you have to be sure it's GPLv2 or PD). Other than the "final" file (for music, .ogg), you have to include also the "sources" (for music, I read somewhere "tracker format" words, although I don't use such stuff so I can't help with that). And include the full text of the license (just put a copy of OA's COPYING file into your .pk3).

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Music

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
mistone
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »

I think it's pretty hard thing as well. for most of my tracks i use the amen break to make drums.
i don't think if there was any GPL license at 69' when The Winstons released that single.
it's well explained here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac
actually most of people who use samples in their music didn't care about the copyright od it, it would be ridiculous if you would have to pay for every half of second of a sample you use. So i dunno if i i can contribute then.
If you like our job, i mean.
i love it.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 01:34:18 PM »

Don't you have any program to create your own music ?
I mean, if you made the sounds yourself and arrange it as you can (and i love how you do it) you can release it, with samples under GPLv2 license.
I don't want to force anyone to do something, but i think you have very promising talent with music.

Watch here for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_software_for_audio

Most program are free to use and you can license your jobs under GPLv2 easily.

OA need good collaborators, music and textures artists.  Grin

Wink

mistone
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

well, thanks a lot man at first place Smiley i'm happy you like my stuff. but the problem is i can't actually make my own sounds, because i have no instruments for it. i've been using the drum samples, as they were used for years in jungle, hip hop and drum n bass music, because it's just kinda expensive to get your own drum kit and make all samples by yourself. maybe when i'll get more money it would be possible. but it's pretty hard to make all samples by yourself. So i guess until i can get some "legal" samples i won't be able to make GPL licensed music. it sounds stupid to me that i can't use samples from other tracks, because arranging samples is just one of many ways to create a composition.
just listen to the orginal amen break, and then one of my tracks.
i don't think if it's stealing somebody's work. but the truth is that today copyright is sometimes really hard topic.
i'm now making one track actually so i may put it on soundcloud soon if you wanna listen. Smiley

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »

There are many places to find free sound samples.

I've found only this as FREE:

Wink

mistone
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 12:26:58 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/mistone-3/mistone-condor

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 12:45:28 AM »

Nice, it makes me think at Tokara Forest for UT2003 !!  Grin

One suggestion, if you think do make music sound for OA maps, you have to create a short loop.
Music of 5 minutes are too long for a frenetic game. I think 1 or 2 minutes loop is the best way, not too long and not too short.

Wink
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:47:54 AM by Akom74 » Logged

mistone
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 12:51:48 AM »

i'll try to make something with free samples, but i don't promise anything cause it's hard to me to make music not based on amen break punched

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 12:59:17 AM »

I'm sure you can make something good for us.

OA need music (and textures artists)  Grin Grin

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 04:27:14 AM »

A public domain sounds library Fromhell trusts:
http://www.pdsounds.org
I don't know if there is something adapt for music.

About music lenght, currently there are problems of the yellow "warning" message each time music re-starts... and short hitches when music re-starts, if the pc is not powerful enough. A too short music would cause these to happen too often.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 05:31:56 AM »

A public domain sounds library Fromhell trusts:
http://www.pdsounds.org
I don't know if there is something adapt for music.

About music lenght, currently there are problems of the yellow "warning" message each time music re-starts... and short hitches when music re-starts, if the pc is not powerful enough. A too short music would cause these to happen too often.

But the problem of the yellow "warning" message will be solved in the next release of OA, doesen't it ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 05:38:31 AM »

But the problem of the yellow "warning" message will be solved in the next release of OA, doesen't it ?
I hope. But AFAIK, it  has not been fixed yet. I'm not capable of doing it... we need Fromhell or Sago (or someone else that may propose a "diff" in the svn commits thread).
While fixing the yellow warning should be easy, the "hitch" problem sounds more difficult to solve.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »

@mistone: Any news about your personal track(s) for OA ?
Can't wait to hear you loop(s).  Grin Grin

Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: