Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FYI A Warning to anyone new playing OA  (Read 46551 times)
GeM
Nub

Cakes -5

« on: May 02, 2014, 11:53:02 PM »

We set up a Server going back 4 Years roughly now as an "Experiment" if you will, once said Server started getting more and more people playing we found the Badmouthers, Prejudiced "You're English Face doesn't fit" Majority came out of the woodwork Server copiers down to the last Detail Including Maps not released to the Public under License only made for this Server, sound files copied and modified with Name changed, DDos attacking, using the Host Provider's fastdownloads, also modifying Maps custom made just for this Server, resulting in yet another Server with different Server config and Rules shutting down (I.E Stupid's also had the same problem), seriously OA is losing more and more players because some only play in certain Servers, once that Server has gone they leave OA as they won't play in "Certain" Servers, not to mention the Personal remarks with those remarks coming from people who have never met said person in REAL LIFE Slandering other's just because people choose to play in that Server so they Install RATS into downloads for the other Servers, with people being unaware they are Infected, they are used to DDos attack DCs like in the Netherlands for Instance without even knowing it.  Retaliation was never entered into, no matter what was done or said the only course of action was to stop these people who had been allowed to freely play without Prejudist until they started the serious DDos attacking to get people playing in their Servers I.E Zimmer for Instance whose actions resemble that of a Child spitting his/her Dummy out like a Spoilt Brat instead of an Adult yes we do know who these people DDos attacking etc are as we have the Proof the point is another Server will be gone taking away people's choice as to where they want to play for lack of Servers.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 03:21:25 AM »

When people leave because a sever mod has shut down, then it seems OA should be kept at the core play only instead. On this way, they rather keep playing the official OA and aren't going for just 1 or a few specific servers (as new players aren't getting in contact with anything else except OA).
So OA shouldn't allow gimmick mods anymore and remain back to it's original gameplay instead.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:28:35 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:45:36 AM »

When people leave because a sever mod has shut down, then it seems OA should be kept at the core play only instead. On this way, they rather keep playing the official OA and aren't going for just 1 or a few specific servers (as new players aren't getting in contact with anything else except OA).
So OA shouldn't allow gimmick mods anymore and remain back to it's original gameplay instead.
Sorry, but no. That contradicts one of OA's main reasons of existence.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
SooKee
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »

We set up a Server going back 4 Years roughly now as an "Experiment" if you will, once said Server started getting more and more people playing we found the Badmouthers, Prejudiced "You're English Face doesn't fit" Majority came out of the woodwork Server copiers down to the last Detail Including Maps not released to the Public under License only made for this Server, sound files copied and modified with Name changed, DDos attacking, using the Host Provider's fastdownloads, also modifying Maps custom made just for this Server, resulting in yet another Server with different Server config and Rules shutting down (I.E Stupid's also had the same problem), seriously OA is losing more and more players because some only play in certain Servers, once that Server has gone they leave OA as they won't play in "Certain" Servers, not to mention the Personal remarks with those remarks coming from people who have never met said person in REAL LIFE Slandering other's just because people choose to play in that Server so they Install RATS into downloads for the other Servers, with people being unaware they are Infected, they are used to DDos attack DCs like in the Netherlands for Instance without even knowing it.  Retaliation was never entered into, no matter what was done or said the only course of action was to stop these people who had been allowed to freely play without Prejudist until they started the serious DDos attacking to get people playing in their Servers I.E Zimmer for Instance whose actions resemble that of a Child spitting his/her Dummy out like a Spoilt Brat instead of an Adult yes we do know who these people DDos attacking etc are as we have the Proof the point is another Server will be gone taking away people's choice as to where they want to play for lack of Servers.

GeM,

NONE of your problems are related to ANY of the admins at Zimmr's server.

If anyone is guilty of slander it is you for falsely accusing us over and over again.

You have banned me from your server (again). Why? The reason you give is that I "condone the action of others".

This is all in your head. If you are talking about the multiple GeM server stunt with dpmaster, that was nothing to do with me and I do NOT condone such stupid, childish behaviour in any way.

Why do you just ASSUME it has anything to do with me?

All we at Zimmers are trying to do is run a nice friendly server. We have not engaged in any of the nasty, stupid "dirty tricks" you are frequently accusing us of. In fact every time Zimmer's server get's remotely popular, all of a sudden you start blaming us for every bad thing that supposedly happened to you.

Perhaps it is you who is trying to get rid of the competition?

Well, GeM, this is not a competition. There is room for more servers. I AGREE with you that YOUR server is keeping players intereted in OpenArena Instagib. Without YOUR server many people would have left already.

But that's no reason to try to kill everyone who also likes to make a good server.

P.S.

Please unban me from your server. Its a good server and I have NEVER EVER done bad by you, either to your face or behind your back. I wish no ill will towards you and I think people should stop screwing with your server.

- SooKee QuakeNet: #openarenahelp
SooKee
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »

Zimmer for Instance whose actions resemble that of a Child spitting his/her Dummy out like a Spoilt Brat instead of an Adult yes we do know who these people DDos attacking etc are as we have the Proof

What proof please?

You have NO proof it is us because we have NOTHING to do with this. I think you are guessing it is us.

So please post your proof.

wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »

First of all I would like to say that no one should bring servers down with Denial of Service attacks (DOS).
We are supposed to work TOGETHER and not against each other.

I am sure no one posting here did any DOS to anyone else.
Please share your evidence and take legal action if needed, period.

What I like:
I like that people start talking about the problems OA has.

First of all: OA is not dying, the player base is pretty stable on this low level.
We should be concerned about this low level, non the less.

People stop playing OA sometimes, we should not focus on that.
Bringing in NEW people is the problem OA has.

I got used to playing OA but I deinstalled it two times before I kept it on my HDD.
I expected something similar in quality of Q3, but 14 Years after the release of quake3 most of the maps suck
and do not represent what OA is capable of.

I hope we now got a basis to talk about things.

Some people contribute things to make things better, for example this forum or stats or other stuff.
I would like to throw in some names:
Cedonim3, Sergei, Siju, Zimmer, SooKee, Ali3n, L0nestarr, Aeq, FennelFetish, Panic, GrosBedo, Fromhell, Sago, ...

You GeM, insult my dear friend Zimmer, copyright your maps  -that non of the openmafia/zimmer server runs- and piss off half of what is left of the community.
If you refer to prophet :F failgun's server (pbuh) "For the stupids" with your sentence "I.E Stupid's also had the same problem",
I will tell you exactly why you are wrong there.

I dont know why you are so "Anti", but you are.
Cheer up a bit please. All I read from you in this forum is so negative, including all those bans and permabans.
Why did you ban me some days ago, I have not been on your server for a long time!

What I am looking for is solutions and people who share a desire/hobby/dream.
I am looking for solutions!

I would like to work together with people of this forum but didnt have the honor yet - besides Gig and NeonKnight helping me with my map.
Advertisement! wing-sago60 now on Zimmer or any other openmafia server !Advertisement

With the help of Siju, Sookee, Zimmer, Aeq and FennelFetish we are setting up a new server at the moment that will have lots of colourful stats Smiley

A first impression of what will come can be found here:
http://live-clan.de/script/insta.php

I am looking forward to seeing you all on the server or in IRC #openarenahelp --- or ofc. in this forum Smiley

L!ve* is life - na na nana na
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »

About the maps sucking.

People continually bashes OA for not being a 100% perfect game after the releases have been, well, released, and that doesn't motivate us to continue development. All we kept receiving is pure bile. We depend on the community for feedback reception but most of the feedback received either contradicted the development rules of OA or were of the unuseful "this game sucks period" kind. It's really hard to keep development going on if the people will only come to the forum to trash the game.

I've been continually making maps bearing community feedback in mind until I've received a very nasty message which ended with a "I don't give a damn about your maps" sentence. Not to mention all the things said about fromhell and the criticisms about OA not being one more of the serious/demonic/dark/gritty FPS kind or a Q3 clone artwork-wise. Is this the way the community has to thank the people who develop the game?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:11:28 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »

Hi Neon_Knight!

That is a pity to hear, shame on the haters!
I too did not get any feedback or really had to ask people to get any.
And I suffer from a lack of motivation too, as things are not "fluid".

What if I set up a server only for maptesting with a feedback system?

wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »

Oh and there is the #oamapping channel in IRC!

webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=oamapping

wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »

Thanks for unbanning me GeM

wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 03:05:50 AM »

Here is some data for what I mean with "Having a problem getting new players in"
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=openarena

Kudos to Fromhell, that 2007 mountain must have motivated you as hell ...
but dont some changes to this website may be good?
Leave everything as is, but should not be the main goal of the first page be getting people into playing OA?
It takes 3-4 clicks to get to the download and you have to make decisions
(download->0.8.8->OpenArena v0.8.8 Win/Lin/Mac Unified Zip->get)

Jewjitsu
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 04:06:45 AM »

People continually bashes OA for not being a 100% perfect game after the releases have been, well, released, and that doesn't motivate us to continue development. All we kept receiving is pure bile. We depend on the community for feedback reception but most of the feedback received either contradicted the development rules of OA or were of the unuseful "this game sucks period" kind. It's really hard to keep development going on if the people will only come to the forum to trash the game.

Hey let's be fair... I also come here to bash individual players too. A year on and that very rational well written article still is constantly brought up in the context of bashing. It isn't, it was constructive criticism of the community more than the game itself. I'm glad I have such a profound impact and it tickles me that I've unintentionally pissed so many people off. Maybe praise can only motivate people so far, and perhaps angst will help push the envelope in OA3.

For instance fromhell often says the OA graphics/models/textures are the "laughing stock of the game community" yet I've never heard this nor do I mind the way OA looks. But that certainly motivated him to prove the naysayers wrong and make a beautiful game in OA3. So if you think I mean to bash you, perhaps you're reading something that wasnt in my original message.

One last thing. Why does everyone take GeM so seriously? She's like an unclaimed fart. Ignore her long enough and she'll fade away. No one is DDoSing your server you paranoid cat lady. Your host just sucks, as do your communication skills. You're so mean that a single post brings this many people who despise you out of the woodwork to speak against you. Do you blame them? I blame you and I care so little I'll halt right here.

Keep up the great work OA devs
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:38:29 AM »

Sorry I'm writing from cell phone and I haven't yet checked the external links someone included in his posts.

However I would like to ask GeM to please use full stops (dots) and carriage return (photographs) when writing his posts. I had problems distinguish different sentences in the first post of this thread.

However...
I don't know what to tell you about that DDoS thing, what may be done against them...

Certainly, removing mod support would be against one of OA main goals.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 04:23:52 AM »

I forgot to say:

We have no control over who runs servers. If you place your own proprietary stuff on your server, we cannot assure nobody else will re-use it, breaking your copyright. In case this happens, you may try to contact that server admin and ask him to remove your stuff from his server.
Is "do not reuse in any way (other than playing on my own X server) without my permission" clearly started into your pk3 files?

Usually, q3/oa stuff is intended as "free to use" by people, even if this is not necessarily true.
In theory, something without licensing infos should be considered as "all rights reserved", but in this environment it is often thought as "free to use" (many q3 third party stuff lacked licensing infos, however their authors wanted people to actually play their maps, otherwise they would have not created/published them).

Even running q3 mods in oa may be against q3 SDK EULA (I'm not sure, but it's quite probable)...  whoever runs a server with them does it on his own risk.

We advise to use gplv2 stuff as much as possible, and if you create something for the game, we suggest to gpl it, too... Because freedom is one of the goals of OPENArena.
Of course, you can use different licenses if you wish for your own stuff, but remember that if you created something starting from existing gpl stuff, you MUST release it under gpl, too... And in that case you cannot pretend other people to do not reuse or modify it.

Gig from cell phone.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:58:58 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 05:14:47 AM »

I forgot to say:

We have no control over who runs servers. If you place your own proprietary stuff on your server, we cannot assure nobody else will re-use it, breaking your copyright. In case this happens, you may try to contact that server admin and ask him to remove your stuff from his server.
Is "do not reuse in any way (other than playing on my own X server) without my permission" clearly started into your pk3 files?

Usually, q3/oa stuff is intended as "free to use" by people, even if this is not necessarily true.
In theory, something without licensing infos should be considered as "all rights reserved", but in this environment it is often thought as "free to use" (many q3 third party stuff lacked licensing infos, however their authors wanted people to actually play their maps, otherwise they would have not created/published them).

Even running q3 mods in oa may be against q3 SDK EULA (I'm not sure, but it's quite probable)...  whoever runs a server with them does it on his own risk.

We advise to use gplv2 stuff as much as possible, and if you create something for the game, we suggest to gpl it, too... Because freedom is one of the goals of OPENArena.
Of course, you can use different licences if you wish for your own stuff, but remember that if you created something starting from existing gpl stuff, you MUST release it under gpl, too... And in that case you cannot pretend other people to do not reuse or modify it.

Gig from cell phone.

How can a GPLv2+ game actually cooperate with  servers using copyright licenses? Looks quite odd to me.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »

How can a GPLv2+ game actually cooperate with  servers using copyright licenses? Looks quite odd to me.
The GPL licenses are primarily meant to be used with source code, not things like game assets or manuals. As such, it's a little difficult to "translate" the GPL terms to say engine, gamecode and .pk3 files with their included playermodels or maps.

Plugins, modules and libraries for a GPL program must be licensed under GPL as well (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins, "fork and exec"), unless they work as separate programs.
IANAL but you might characterize .pk3 as a module. Now for whether it's separate from OpenArena is hard to say. There are "core" assets like the gamecode (.qvm) and some menu files, a playermodel/map and such so you
can actually start a game. To run the  client/server engine binary you don't need them, but the engine would be useless without them. Then there are additional .pk3 files such as new playermodels and maps which the game does not depend on.
The .pk3 files have no way of "linking" with each other like software libraries can, so you do not have direct dependencies between them. If you have a map using texture and shader paths from Q3 it might work with id Q3's pak0, OA's assets or a replacement one like the xcsv pack, though you can load the bare map without textures/sounds as well.

tl;dr I don't know, ask Richard.

This space is for rent.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 07:34:40 AM »

How can a GPLv2+ game actually cooperate with  servers using copyright licenses? Looks quite odd to me.

tl;dr I don't know, ask Richard.
Richard who?

However, I'm not so expert with exact GPL terms, Q3 EULA, Q3 SDK EULA, Q3 GPL source code... I have some confusion in my mind, although here there is roughly what I know/can guess...

Disclaimer: There may be imprecisions. If you are experienced around OA/Q3A, probably you already know what I wrote in this post, so you can skip it. However, the title of this thread mentions a warning to new people, and new people may be unaware of this stuff.

- Q3A is a copyrighted game, for which id Software released some developer tools (Q3Radiant and something more I don't know) for letting users to create extra content to use with the game, shortly following its release.
- Later, Q3A engine and gamecode has been released under GPLv2+. This allowed the creating of derivative engines (most notably, ioquake3), and standalone games with brand new assets (such as OA).
- Q3Radiant source code is GPL'd, too, altough I don't know if there exist some "ready to use" compiled binaries from that GPL release (they do exist GTKRadiant and NetRadiant, which are GPL, but do have some differences). I'm not sure if something created today with id's old Q3Radiant should follow Q3 SDK original EULA (considering its binaries come from that time, AFAIK), or GPL (considering Q3Radiant source code is GPL'd). For this reason, my future maps (if any) will be done with NetRadiant/Q3map2, to avoid any risk.
- Q3A assets like textures, shaders, models, maps are NOT GPL'd. Example: we cannot place Q3A .md3 in GPL maps.
- If Q3A assets to continue to have the "to use only with Quake III Arena" requirement, how it is legally possible to use "ioquake3" engine to play Q3A baseq3 stuff? Ioquake3 is legally allowed to run "standalone" games like OA, but what's about its original intent, playing baseq3 and q3 mods with an advanced engine with more features? I don't know.
- Any OA mod based upon OA source code should be released under GPLv2, at least for its gamecode. For its assets instead, I think they may follow the license they prefer, but I'm not a lawyer. I don't know if one may use a single .pk3 for both (placing clear indications about which stuff uses with license inside it), or one may use a pk3 for the the GPL stuff and and additional pk3 for each different license.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:32:45 AM by Gig » Logged

Jewjitsu
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »

YAWWWWWNNNNN
SooKee
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 01:38:17 AM »

Being that GeM has decided to make such PUBLIC false accusations against us I thought it also best I make public my response the last time GeM made similar accusations well over a year ago:

This is my response to GeM and Gold by email. I think it explains the situation very well.

To: 
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 06:47:25 +0000
Subject: FAO: GeM and Gold

Hi GeM, Gold.

I am writing to you because it is getting pretty obvious that you are not
getting truthful information about me and various other people.

First of all I would like to address the email that one you sent to
openarenahelp.com:

You said:
"""I've had a number of people telling me you have two of my Maps made
Especially for our Server on your to vote for Map list i.e
Watchmen/Watchmen2 and are saying YOU made them, if this is the case you
would have all the Geniune files (wouldn't you?)"""

Zimmer removed these maps from the rotation many months ago after I
explained the potential copyright problems, being that we did not know yet
if they were GPL or not. I apologize because we *should* have also removed
them from the server while we checked that. Actually I thought Zimmer had
and he says he intended to but forgot. They have now been removed.

I promise you that Zimmer has not in any way tried to pass those maps off
as his own work. In fact I am pretty sure he has not mentioned those mas to
anyone since my conversation with him several months ago when I explained
that they should to be removed from the server. WHOEVER is giving you your
information is not being truthful. And, it seems to me, that someone is
playing both of us (that is us and you) by passing on inflammatory
"information" that owes far more to their imagination than to any basis in
fact. Is someone trying to ingratiate themselves with you by telling you
stories about us? Only you know where you are getting your information
from. All I know is that there is little or no truth in it.

You said:
"""I suggest you remove them as they are not for Public Distribution, nor
did you ask MY Permission to put them on YOUR Server, if they are not
removed then it'll be taken higher, I will be contacting your VPN Provider
too..."""

They have been removed.

You said:
."""... and also STOP using GeM's Name calling her a Whore cos thats
something you would know about. """

As far as I am aware, neither I nor Zimmer have done this. I can not say
that no one has. Zimmer is actually very polite and you don't generally
hear him speaking bad of anyone. But I am not saying that I have not heard
GeM's name disparaged. And we have all, at times, had some negative things
to say about her regarding our unceremonious and mysterious bans from GeMs
server.

But I am certain you will find that truly unkind comments have not
originated with me or Zimmer. People often pop in to the IRC channels we
frequent and they are upset because they have been kicked or banned from
GeMs server and they don't know why. And I have definitely heard GeMs name
taken in vain a few times. But please don't blame either Zimmer or myself
for the words of other people.

Secondly I would like to address something I was told you have said on
GeM's forum. I have not read the post myself but apparently I have been
accused of hacking GeM's server?

This is absolutely false. I am not a child and I have no interest in petty
rivalries and stupid attacks between "our gang" and "your gang". This is
playground behavior. Once again it seems to me that someone is whispering
things in your ear that are absolutely not true in order to ingratiate
themselves with you or simply to cause drama, or whatever other reason
children find to spread silly tattle. I think you should ask yourselves if
you are not being manipulated by one or more of the people feeding you
information?

Now I would like to address older issues that go back to when I was helping
GOOGLE admin his server:

While we are on the subject of hacking, back when GOOGLE was running his
server it was being hacked almost every night. Because of that I wrote some
software to monitor the server and log suspicious activity. As a result I
gathered quite a lot of evidence of a regular hacking campaign. I will now
provide you with some of the information I gathered.

I have a number of IP addresses and locations from the attacker. Mostly
they are located in the north of England around the Hull area (Kingston
upon Hull, Skipton, Beverly...).

The attacker frequently joined GOOGLE's server using the name
^0UnnamedPlayer before changing it to some other alias. It is also a fact
that a person using that same name was frequently on GeM's server. I don't
know who it is but it is obviously someone that either one or both of you
know. But I dare say you probably did not know what they were doing to
GOOGLE's server almost every night.

Because of all the attacks to GOOGLE's server there was a lot of
speculation that you guys or someone from your entourage were behind it.
Only you guys are likely to know who this mysterious "^0UnnamedPlayer" is
who appears to hale from the Hull area in the UK. You should know, assuming
that you don't, that he/she was regularly hacking GOOGLE's server at a time
when we were being accused of hacking your server (yes we heard those
rumors about us).

Maybe someone was hacking BOTH our servers and playing us off against one
another?

I am beginning to think more and more that that is the case. It certainly
explains most from what I can see.

At that time I actually had more than enough information to take to the
police and at the time I strongly advised GOOGLE to do just that. The ONLY
reason I did not go to the police is that GOOGLE talked me out of it. Now
GOOGLE is a REALLY, REALLY NICE guy. He was a great friend to GeM,
supporting her and her server back in the days when everyone started using
ROFL servers rather than GeMs. I am guessing that, like Zimmer, you guys
have been given false/misleading information about GOOGLE in the past.

Now, I sincerely hope I have given you guys some food for thought about
what is *actually* going on here. I *really* hope to impress on you that
neither I, nor Zimmer, nor GOOGLE have had anything whatsoever to do with
any attacks on your server and that we also have been victims of such
attacks. I want you to realize that Zimmer, GOOGLE and myself are probably
among the least likely to intentionally cause trouble or grief for others.
The truth is that we are among the more stabilizing influences in the
community.

Zimmer, in particular, is doing quite a lot to pull the OA community
together with his initiative at http://openarenahelp.com. He, and those of
us who are helping him, are trying to foster a spirit of friendship and
cooperation between OA players. We are truly the *last* people to be
getting involved in childish "your gang verses our gang" exploits.

And speaking of openarenahelp, quite a few people are showing interest and
I, for one, would welcome you both to come along and take a look. We meet
using IRC on QuakeNet in #openarenahelp.

I don't know if you are familiar with IRC, but one easy way to access it is
using this special web-page: http://webchat.quakenet.org

Type in a nickname for yourself and type in #openarenahelp as the channel.

You both have very good OA skills and the idea is to help new players to
gain skills so that they learn to enjoy the game and hopefully stick
around. We want to try to grow the OA community and try to make it more
popular. So experience veterans like yourselves surely have something to
contribute?

Regardless, I sincerely hope you realize that none of us wish you any bad
will. All we want to do is play OA in a friendly atmosphere with as little
drama as possible.

Best Regards,

- SooKee.

oasookee@gmail.com

capodecima
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 08:45:26 AM »

I never found GeM unfriendly or abusing her mod pover. Whenever i played on her server. Everything was smooth. I really dont understand all this hate created on GeM. (mosty on #openarenahelp) I really dislike if someone talk shit about other ppl and even public here. The problem with OA is mostly bcz there is 0 competition and 100 % drama trying convince play ppl on server there and there (example MOTD on zimm's "The friendly server"). Yes this is nice MOTD really, trolling even over hosting server. All this wannabe old stupid players which just find funny troll GeM and make delusional for new peoples could quit forever or start think about yourself. Try run OA strong make Leagues, promote on esreality.com, if you will just trying find fails in OA and other ppl. Then will probably OA there where is for long time. On bottom of all modifications for Q3.
wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »

There is some truth in capo's post!

I often get this error that persists for minutes/hours/ a day:
The last posting from your IP was less than 42 seconds ago. Please try again later.
Any ideas?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 10:33:03 AM »

That's simple flood control.   It's possible your browser is sending more than once on submit.

No you're not banned and no one else posted with your IP.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:42:21 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
rainbow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »

There seems to be quite some heat in this discussion Cheesy But there are very strange things said by OP which kind of seem "unrealistic" from a technical point of view.

so they Install RATS into downloads for the other Servers, with people being unaware they are Infected, they are used to DDos attack DCs like in the Netherlands for Instance without even knowing it.

First I needed to understand what a "RAT" is.

A remote access Trojan (RAT) is a malware program that includes a back door for administrative control over the target computer. RATs are usually downloaded invisibly with a user-requested program -- such as a game -- or sent as an email attachment. Once the host system is compromised, the intruder may use it to distribute RATs to other vulnerable computers and establish a botnet.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/RAT-remote-access-Trojan

Wow! This sounds very bad actually.
"so they Install RATS into downloads for the other Servers" - If someone can manipulate the downloads of a server this means that an attacker has already remote access to said server. You say that this happens on multiple servers, so that would mean that there is a known exploit for openarena-server? I couldn't find anything like that on the bugtracker or anything. Could you describe this more as this is a severe vulnerability for the whole openarena scene.

"they are used to DDos attack DCs like in the Netherlands for Instance without even knowing it"
You were talking about the manipulated downloads before and know are talking about a botnet behaviour. This would mean that there are possibilities for any server administrator to install a Trojan to any openarena player on said server. Can any developer say something about this as this sound quite unrealistic from a technical and logical point of view.

serious DDos attacking to get people playing in their Servers I.E Zimmer for Instance whose actions resemble that of a Child spitting his/her Dummy out like a Spoilt Brat instead of an Adult

You are talking here about DDoS and accusing and insulting a well known other server administrator. Please conform to the rules of the forum and apologize:

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, (...)

If you don't accept the rules there are enough other forums which you can join.

If we look at it again from a technical point of view the server hosts multiple different games. If we choose just ONE different game on this server and look at the statistics we see that there are around 30 people at once alone on just ONE of those servers hosted on the same machine: https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/213.163.83.191:28961/
It is well known that these kind of vHosters are easily well at their capacity.

also modifying Maps custom made just for this Server

Ouch. You seem to have missed the core philosophy and reason why OpenArena exists. You may consider reevaluating what the "Open" stands for. It doesn't stand for egoistic and non-sharing Wink. No.

seriously OA is losing more and more players because some only play in certain Servers, once that Server has gone they leave OA as they won't play in "Certain" Servers

(...)

the point is another Server will be gone taking away people's choice as to where they want to play for lack of Servers.

I wanted to play yesterday on Zimmer's for example as I like the statistic and the whole katina system which is really great. The server was full. But you know what? I could join an other server and it was no problem. If I look at the server list now again I can see that there 14/20 Players online for example on that server.
This clearly shows me that people play this game the same way as usual. I actually don't understand the harassment by OP.

It would be nice of the administration to check for the exploitability of openarena as it is said here. For a new user this would stop me from playing this game. And this post ist clearly directed only at new players.

But from a technical and logical point of view this all sounds like a trolling. I think the administration should take action for not complying to the rules and actually hurting the scene of OpenArena.

I really love this game and would hate to see it destroyed by this kind of lies and fear mongering. I would not host any server as it is not clear if this is just some trolling by someone or if there are really some MAJOR security vulnerabilities which could break the neck of the scene.

Free games for free people! Smiley
GeM
Nub

Cakes -5

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »

Sure rainbow I'll answer your "Post" after sending u a private message on the Assumption that I thought u were actually someone else as u seem to be using their Name, that person wouldn't be so quick to take the Moral high ground as u appear to have, omg stop making me out to be the bad Apple I'm not the one Slandering neither did I use Defamation of Character remarks about certain people, Slander is when the remarks r Untrue, but it seems theres One Rule for One and another for Someone else, its ok for others to Slander, take someone else's Name in Vain etc just goes to show certain people r/were just looking for an excuse to attack in a Negative way WITHOUT knowing the whole story.
GeM
Nub

Cakes -5

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 02:15:17 AM »

I think its getting off the real Subject here its not about "My Dads bigger than your Dad" its about people playing where they want to without being Brainwashed by Negative comments from others, don't be Naive enough to believe what u see being typed as the whole Truth, make your own minds up, the point being made was that during the Time the Server was running as soon as more players started playing there, the comments, DDos attacks etc started, along with the GeMs this, GeMs that Syndrome form people who have never met me in REAL Life, what you're liike in a Game doesn't you're the same in the real world, its just a Game so Personal comments(unless you've actually met the person)concerned and know them well THEN u have the right to comments.  Topic closed I think as there is no more GeM's.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: