Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprites extremely blurred/pixelated  (Read 11115 times)
reaperL
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:49 AM »

Hello,

after not having played for about a year, I recently started playing openarena (ver 0.8.8 ) again.

For some reason the 2D sprites in the game are now all rendered with extremely low resolution. I don't remember this problem existing when I played the game before.

This affects mostly the HUD, but when enabling simple items those sprites are also affected. I have also noticed that using any resolution lower than  1366/1360/1280 x 768 makes the problem worse.

Here is a screenshot (without simple items):
http://imgur.com/mEtQmQ2

I'm playing the game on a Fujitsu Lifebook AH530, Windows 7 64-bit. The computer uses an intel core i3 and intel graphics media accelerator HD.

I found another thread on this message board with apparently the same problem:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3988.0

Sadly, the suggested fixes (changing the value of /r_picmip to 0 and/or resetting openarena config as described in the thread) don't work for me.

Thank you for your help.

ReaperL
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:31 AM »

The only cause of this would be the graphics driver automatically generating mipmaps and having a heavy bias (hence the lower resolution affecting it more).  Those sprites and other 2d elements in particular have nopicmip/nomipmaps properties in their shader so they should never EVER be blurry or even have a mipmap for them.  They should be sharp even at a higher picmip.

Since it's an Intel graphics problem, have you tried any GL-to-D3D wrappers such as GLDirect and QindieGL?

BTW the only hardware I personally tested to have a problem like this is Matrox G100A which has a serious mip selection issue, however even that 1998 4mb card can display the 2D graphics sharply.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:36:22 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »

Can I suggest trying to update video drivers?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
reaperL
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:46:00 AM »

Hi, thanks for your quick responses.

Copying the opengl32.dll from GLDirect into the openarena directory did the trick. Everything looks fine now.  Cheesy

I tried out the opengl32.dll from QindieGL as well but the game won't even launch with it.

Many thanks.

Regards,

ReaperL
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »

Glad it works Cheesy

To think Linux doesn't have this option available gives all the more reason for having a software renderer....

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »

To think Linux doesn't have this option available gives all the more reason for having a software renderer....
You can still use DX/D3D via WINE if you please, not that it makes things any better Wink

This space is for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: