Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving Openarena for Quake 3: Arena  (Read 10347 times)
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

If you can read this, then you don't need glasses

« on: July 10, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »

I recently got Quake 3: Arena, and the game simply blows me away. In all honesty, I find it far better than Openarena (No offense to the devs.) But I want to have a couple of things from OA...

1.) Can I use the Openarena maps in Q3A?

2.) Can I connect to Openarena servers without having to download the OA assets?

Thanks.

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »

Hi [ERROR_42].

1) I think you can play every OA map with Q3A, but some items or textures maybe missing, just try.
2) There is no way you can connect at the OA servers, in Q3A Multiplayer menu' you can't see OA servers and viceversa from OA you can't see Q3A servers. The game code is different.

Wink

P.S.: If you want to download some custom maps, you can visit my site and try some of my jobs (italian)

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »

[ERROR_42], what is wrong with OA ?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »

0) Well no shit, it's got a million dollar budget at the least.  Roll Eyes

1) Conflicting shaders are possible. And crashes.

2) Pure server says no.

FUN FACT:  OA was originally designed to be protocol-compatible with Q3A servers intending to connect to Q3 servers and vice versa, but things couldn't work out technically for various reasons.  On the other hand, concerning OAX's additions, it's for the better and benefits from the regression.

FUN FACT 2: People don't really play Q3A anymore, just some promode/defrag stuff for it.  If you want to play a Q3 Q3A, you'd have to play Quake Live.  UT suffers similar problems with people playing some sniper stuff, Monster hunt stuff, RPG stuff....   Q3's player peak was in 2000, and then the BidForPower DeFraG Excessive CPMA OrangeSmoothie UrbanTerror Quake3Fortress scenes happened and fragmented it all....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:34:49 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:58:04 AM »

Playing OA maps in Q3 may probably show many missing textures/shaders. My OACMPDM10 map should work in both games.

Comparing a commercial game (with paid artists and probably millions of dollars of budget) with a spare time-made, completely free game, is not fair...  Smiley

Q3A obviusly feels more "finished" than OA 0.8.x... that's natural! However, OA has got some extra features that are not in baseq3.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 06:13:13 AM »

Also this: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3512.0

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »

I heard somewhere that I could use the OAX mod... Gonna go try that...

Also, I have an idea to connect to OA servers... Just give me the master IP...

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »

Also, I have an idea to connect to OA servers... Just give me the master IP...
Code:
/seta sv_master1 "dpmaster.deathmask.net:27950"

This space is for rent.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »

Thanks!

I just saw a couple of screenshots of OA3. I'm probably gonna come back to OA.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: