Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printing performance statistics data on the smartphone screen  (Read 12238 times)
nrz
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: October 18, 2014, 04:40:55 AM »

Dear All, this is my first post. Thanks for having here a great place to share and ask.

My question is very simple - I want to acquire the following three network-related performance measures:

1) Ping time
2) FPS
3) The rate of packet loss (dropped)

I know there are some commands available like \cg_drawfps 1, \cg_drawPing 1 but unfortunately it seems not work to me.
Can anybody show me all correct commands to obtain three measures? And any alternative way to obtain them?

Thank you.

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:40:27 AM »

• The scoreboard (press and hold Tab key) shows you the mostly useless in-game ping in the "Ping" column.
    It's useless because it depends on your FPS and maximum packets and without Unlagged's g_truePing the value is 48 for a low ping as well as someone having a horrible 48 ping.
  • /cg_drawFPS 1 should display e.g. "125fps" in the upper right screen corner.
  • /cg_lagometer 1 will display (lower right screen corner) red bars on the lower graph for dropped game snapshots

This space is for rent.
nrz
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:35:18 AM »

Thank you so much for the reply.

For FPS, I saw it in some maps (or pk3 files?) but not in others.
For packet/snapshot drops and Ping, is there any logging way (e.g., pull them down to a file) so that I can do some statistics analysis (such as averaging) ?

Thank you!
nrz
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »

For FPS, I saw it in some maps (or pk3 files?) but not in others.
The FPS counter should work independent of the map being played. Maybe it's an issue with your mobile version?

For packet/snapshot drops and Ping, is there any logging way (e.g., pull them down to a file) so that I can do some statistics analysis (such as averaging) ?
You could log your ping with /logfile 2; cl_shownet 3. /cl_shownet 3 will print lines like
snapshot:1576  delta:1575  ping:42
Note that it'll really spam your console. /logfile 2 writes a log to ~/.openarena/baseoa/qconsole.log, not sure where/how you'd find that on your mobile.
As for snapshot drops, I don't know. Maybe you can extrapolate that from the shownet logs too, but I haven't looked at them in depth.

Edit: If I didn't get lost in C, the "snapshot" number should be increasing seamlessly, otherwise a snapshot was dropped.
I'm not aware of a way to print the FPS to console.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:33:24 PM by grey matter » Logged

This space is for rent.
nrz
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:24:06 AM »

Thank you!

Lets put aside FPS first since it is not a big deal. (I can see it sometimes so it is already good enough).

For Ping, is it one-way or round-trip? My understanding of ICMP Ping is round-trip measure, but how about the way Quake 3 engine follows?

For dropped snapshot, I looked at net-related code and it did drop out-of-sequnced packets, hence for snapshots I agree with you - out-of-order snapshots will be dropped.

Moreover, I looked at UI code - they do have those statistics and plot them in the Lagometer window. But I simply do not know how to output them into a file Wink
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »

For Ping, is it one-way or round-trip? My understanding of ICMP Ping is round-trip measure, but how about the way Quake 3 engine follows?
AFAIK the ping on the stock scoreboard (Unlagged code brings g_truePing) depends on how fast clients acknowledge messages (not sure which ones) from the server (time ack minus time sent), so it's round-trip.
The latency on the lagometer is calculated differently, but not drawn as a concrete number anyways.

Moreover, I looked at UI code - they do have those statistics and plot them in the Lagometer window. But I simply do not know how to output them into a file Wink
I don't think the regular game/engine code allows to log those numbers. You'd have to modify cgame and log them yourself, or modify the engine if you need to remain compatible with some pure server.

This space is for rent.
nrz
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 01:05:54 AM »

True for "You'd have to modify cgame and log them yourself", and that's what I tried earlier... Thanks for your replies, most are consistent with my understanding and some corrects me. I appreciate it Smiley

Seems there is not any bandwidth-related measure... For example how much bandwidth (probably in BytePerSecond) is required for a normal client user to play a normal game session? Let say this number is ccool and the max bandwidth capacity of the server is MC, then I would assume MC/B = the max number of clients the server can serve. Am I correct? Do you have any idea or number for B and MC?

Thanks,
nrz
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 04:21:01 AM »

Some infos should be here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Bandwidth

And maybe something also here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
nrz
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »

Thank you Smiley

Do you think Quake 3 is bandwidth-hungry game (with full features enabled such as VoIP)?

Do you know other bandwidth-hungry and latency-sensitive games?

Thanks for your time.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 04:06:34 AM »

Do you think Quake 3 is bandwidth-hungry game (with full features enabled such as VoIP)?
Unless you have sv_lanforcerate 1 (DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#Optimize_for_LAN]Optimize for LAN) AND you are connecting in LAN, bandwidth usage is capped at 25000 bytes per seconds, IIRC (or lower, if "sv_maxrate" and "rate" values are lower than 25000... and the game can be enjoyable also with lower values). I don't know if Pelya's Android port changed something in this behavior (e.g. integrating ioquake3's new UDP autodownload code, which controls its speed with an apposite variable, distinct from sv_maxrate -maybe sv_dlrate?- which allows faster downloads than classic UDP download, although not as fast at HTTP redirection).

I can guess modern games may require much more bandwidth than OA.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:15:02 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
nrz
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 04:15:09 AM »

Thanks. What do you mean by Modern game, could you share an example? I am stressfully testing how large bandwidth a local wifi LAN, or Bluetooth LAN or Wifi-Direct LAN setting for games can afford.

I sort of do not think games themselves consume much bandwidth. Really want to know typical values for different types of games nowadays. 

Thanks for your information.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:27:00 AM by nrz » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 04:28:06 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm not a real gamer anymore. The most modern games I played were some PlayStation 2 games such as God of War 2 and Burnout Revenge... and on PC, Quake Live (very little: I prefer OA)... (not counting some "casual games" on smartphone, such as Angy Birds series).

I'm quite outdated in games knowledge. Sorry!

I hope someone else here around may be more helpful!

PS: To answer to your question, for "modern game" I mean something published in the last few (around 3?) years.
Q3 has been released in 1999, when 56k were common (ISDN alredy was better than 56k, thanks to its lower latency)... I cannot call it a "modern" game (although I still love it). Today ADSL and fiber lines are much more common, so I can guess today's games may be optimized for such faster lines. OA bandwidth usage can be higher than Q3 one if one enables VoIP feature or "accurate physics", but still working great with a maximum of 25KB/s per user. I have no idea about the bandwidth used by a 2014 multiplayer game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:43:59 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »

I'm sorry, I'm not a real gamer anymore. The most modern games I played were some PlayStation 2 games such as God of War 2 and Burnout Revenge... and on PC, Quake Live (very little: I prefer OA)... (not counting some "casual games" on smartphone, such as Angy Birds series).

I'm quite outdated in games knowledge. Sorry!

I hope someone else here around may be more helpful!

PS: To answer to your question, for "modern game" I mean something published in the last few (around 3?) years.
Q3 has been released in 1999, when 56k were common (ISDN alredy was better than 56k, thanks to its lower latency)... I cannot call it a "modern" game (although I still love it). Today ADSL and fiber lines are much more common, so I can guess today's games may be optimized for such faster lines. OA bandwidth usage can be higher than Q3 one if one enables VoIP feature or "accurate physics", but still working great with a maximum of 25KB/s per user. I have no idea about the bandwidth used by a 2014 multiplayer game.

It matters a lot what kind of network model is being used. Obviously, a network where the server is asking constantly about events and actions of the players will take more bandwidth than when clients send their events and actions to the server and takes that as truth.

Beware, not every modern game uses the same network model.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:00:34 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: