Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't open any game on mac  (Read 50462 times)
lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 31, 2014, 11:51:52 AM »

I have been running 0.8.8 on my MBA for quite some time with few problems. I seemed to regularly encounter one map that puked. I tried a number of things to delete/redownload that map, but no joy. So, I deleted my entire open arena-0.8.8 folder and redownloaded. After a number of tries, it would not run. It threw a "can't open" error every time I tried to run OA. So... I purchased/installed the version from the Appstore. The install went fine however, I could not start a game in single or multiplayer mode. I tried a number of sites, downloaded the maps, etc. but when the game was launching it puked with some message and went back to the opening screen. I can't read the message as it is gone to fast. Same thing happens with single player. WTH? I reset to defaults, etc. Help.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »

Here's a low-tech approach to capturing that error; simply film your monitor while you start the game. A smartphone camera might be good enough. Then try pausing the video at the right frame to read the error message Smiley

How did you "rest to defaults"? OpenArena keeps its config/downloaded maps etc. in a user-specific folder.

This space is for rent.
lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Good idea. Had to laugh. Only in the first world would using a smartphone to record a computer screen be called low tech. It turns out there was no error. Single player said connecting to local host then returned to the menu. Similar with multiplayer. It said connecting/loading and then returned to the menu.

Go to Setup>Defaults.

I assume it is something fundamental, but I'm not sure what. Also, I am running Yosemite. I was running 0.8.8 just fine a few days ago with the exception that one server w/ GODPS37CTF map was puking with an error. I wanted to delete/redownload that map, but I couldn't figure it out so I decided to just reinstall.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:57:53 AM by lingenfr » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 05:54:47 AM »

You did get the version from the Mac app store, you said? This one? https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/open-arena/id422263923
That's not our official version (which instead you can get from Desura or manually download the zip from DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Download_mirrors]one of the download mirrors - Note: you may need to apply a small trick once, to be able to start the program after downloading official 0.8.8: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#About_OA_0.8.8_on_Mac)... however we will try to help.

To see the error message, you should pull down the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console]command console...
You can export the console log to a text file, simply using the command \condump <filename>. For example, if you type \condump test.txt, a text file called test.txt will be created in your DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath]homepath\baseoa (or homepath\current_mod) folder, containing all the messages you currently have in your console.

PS: It's possible you may have autodownloaded some conflicting .pk3 under your homepath folder, which may be causing problems which would not be fixed by deleting and re-creating installation folder (known as "basepath")... because autodownloaded stuff is in another location (known as "homepath"). See also: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath#Yesterday_everything_worked_correctly.2C_but_today_I_experience_strange_problems
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:01:03 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »

@Gig, wow. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed reply. OK, I will try to address your points one-by-one.

- First, yes I was using the version from the AppStore. Based on your feedback, I deleted it
- Desura does not seem to provide the Mac version. When I click on Play or Free, it only offers the Windows version, so I used the download mirror
- It would not run
- I tried using the patch/overwrite method, no joy
- I tried using the chmod method, no joy. After chmod, the app in the MACOSX folder has a slash through it and when I click on it, it says it is damaged or incomplete
- FWIW, I have used OA on Mac for a long time and I have NEVER used the app in the MACOSX directory, the only thing I have ever gotten to work was the OA app in the main folder
- Until I can get running again, the other points are not relevant

Thanks.

** I misunderstood the chmod instructions. I have it working now and will see about the other problems...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:42:47 AM by lingenfr » Logged
lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »

PS: It's possible you may have autodownloaded some conflicting .pk3 under your homepath folder, which may be causing problems which would not be fixed by deleting and re-creating installation folder (known as "basepath")... because autodownloaded stuff is in another location (known as "homepath"). See also: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath#Yesterday_everything_worked_correctly.2C_but_today_I_experience_strange_problems

OK. I seem to be working as previously. The offending map seems to be working. Not sure of the problem was/is, but hopefully this solved it. I may take a crack at rewriting the instructions for Mac users. The current ones are incorrect (i.e. the link you provided (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#About_OA_0.8.8_on_Mac) does not work and never has (to my knowledge). The simple instructions are:

---

1) Download 0.8.8 from one of the mirrors.
2) Drag and drop the openarena-0.8.8 folder from the Downloads folder to the Applications folder.
3) In a terminal, execute:

chmod +x /Applications/openarena-0.8.8/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub

Note: you can also do:

3a) To fix the OpenArena 0.8.8 r28 app in the main folder

chmod +x "/Applications/openarena-0.8.8/OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub"

** for some reason, a similar command does not work for the app file in the __MACOSX folder.

4) Run OpenArena by clicking on Applications>openarena-0.8.8>OpenArena (or the r28 app)

Note: if you have not enabled unsigned apps on your machine, hold control while you click. You will get a message asking you to confirm the first time and then you should be good to go.

---

I would welcome some feedback. I think the OpenArena app is the one you want to run, but I'm not sure.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 04:33:56 AM »

Sorry, writing from cell phone now, and in rush due to real life...

About the remaining problem, you think it may be related to a certain map, you said? Which one?
Did you check console output, searching for errors?

About 0.8.8 OSX instructions, I do not have a MAC, so I can't test. Maybe different OSX versions do use different paths? Sending a PM to Jackoverfull, who compiled OSX version, pointing out this post...

About which versions are available on Desura... I simply read Desura OA page mentioned OSX, but I don't have a Mac and I don't have Desura... Fromhell maybe knows.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:37:08 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:22:26 AM »

Lingenfr, you said that what's written in the wiki page (about making 0.8.8 binaries working) does not work... but what's the difference between what's written in your post
chmod +x "/Applications/openarena-0.8.8/OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub"
and what's written in the wiki?
chmod +x "/path-of-your-oa-installation-folder/OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub"
It looks like the same to me, except the fact in your case you specified a specific path (under Applications/openarena-0.8.8) and the wiki mentioned a generic path...

Please consider I'm not a Mac user... So also I don't know anything about running unsigned apps in OSX... If you are sure about that thing, I can add a line about it to the wiki (or you can... the wiki is open to everyone)...

lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »

@Gig, you are correct. While that one line is correct, it is certainly less useful than mine, which can be cut, pasted and executed in a terminal. The rest of the information on that page is nearly useless. Applying the patch does not work. The link to the Mac binaries, is dead, etc. I'm not trying to make a point. If my instructions above are useful, great. I only was able to solve my problem after I googled another post here that clarified what is in the wiki. If the version on iTunes, is not recommended, then say so on the wiki. The nice thing about it is that it provides a single icon in the Applications folder rather than a folder with multiple app icons without any idea which one is the correct one. I would gladly pay the devs for mac packaging via the store, but I don't blame the fellow who is making .99 as it obviously provides a desired service. I also understand if none of the devs have access to a mac. If there is any point to this, it is that it seems (to me) far to difficult to simply install OA on a mac and get it to run.
lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »

About the remaining problem, you think it may be related to a certain map, you said? Which one?
Did you check console output, searching for errors?

Sorry I missed this. It was GOD37PSCTF or GODPS37CTF or something similar. Of course when you can't open it, you can't tell what map it is and when it opens without error you don't notice it. Regardless, the delete/reinstall seems to have taken care of it. I assume that individual map was part of a package with another name. I did a lot of searchiing but never could find a listing that would help identify which file to delete hence my resorting to the nuclear option.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:22 AM »

Jackoverfull replied to my PM (in Italian, so I don't copy-paste his reply here - and by PM because from his mobile phone, forum threads do not work correctly for him, while PMs do. You can contact him by PM, of course.)... but there are some parts of his post which I did not understand (not being a Mac user), so I aked him some more infos.
However, he confirmed to me that the program can be installed in any path.... so, if it's not necessarily under "Applications", I think it's better to provide a generic path instead of a specific path. However, I just did DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Manual%2FInstall&diff=16821&oldid=16604]these changes in the wiki, to mention your path as an example.

About the error with that map, if you would have checked the command console output just after it happened, I suppose it should have mentioned it. However, if the problem does no longer exist, I think it's okay. Maybe the third-party package from the App Store did have some conflicting PK3. We are not related to that package, and we do not know if it has got changes.

I'm going to send another PM to Jackoverfull to tell him http://www.jackoverfull.com/tmp/OAMac088r28.zip currently replies 404 error (I can guess he cleaned up the "tmp" folder from his site?). However, also if that specific patch file was not available, I can guess Mac binaries in 0.8.8 "patch" package should have worked... Are you sure you extracted them to the right path, overwriting existing files?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:29:25 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »

Jackoverfull re-uploaded the small package that contains 0.8.8 binaries with the "+x" attribute, required to run them as applications. This is the new url: http://www.jackoverfull.com/Downloads/OAMac_088r28.zip (usage: extract it to overwrite the files user your OA installation folder - lingenfr, you already fixed the problem, but I write it again in case other people needs).

I also did some other changes to Mac (and 0.8.8) instructions in the wiki:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Manual%2FInstall&diff=16824&oldid=16821
Also mentioning the trick for allowing running unsigned apps in OSX 10.7.5 and later (thank you... I did not know it... and even Jackoverfull did not test it in first person: he's using 10.6).

lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »

Awesome. I learned something I didn't know from the third note. Unless something was changed, overwriting with 0.8.8 does not fix the permissions problem. I tried it and it didn't work for me. Unless something was fixed I suggest removing that as a solution.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »

Awesome. I learned something I didn't know from the third note.
Do you mean about dragging a folder to command line in OSX? That's what I did not completely understood at the beginning from Jack's reply, then he confirmed that to me.

Unless something was changed, overwriting with 0.8.8 does not fix the permissions problem. I tried it and it didn't work for me.
Uhm... Please explain better your "overwriting with 0.8.8" steps:
Did you do these steps in this order?
1) A "clean" (after removing the App Store version) OA 0.8.8 installation, by unpacking 0.8.8 full package?
2) Then unpacked (WHICH ONE? "0.8.8 patch" package? Or "0.8.8 mac binaries only"?) into the same folder, overwriting existing files when the system asked for? Did the system ask for overwriting files?
3) Then, which version of binares did you try to launch? Those in "OpenArena.app", or those in "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app"? None of them worked?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:49:22 AM by Gig » Logged

lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »

Awesome. I learned something I didn't know from the third note.
Do you mean about dragging a folder to command line in OSX? That's what I did not completely understood at the beginning from Jack's reply, then he confirmed that to me.

Exactly. I just tried it. Very cool.

Unless something was changed, overwriting with 0.8.8 does not fix the permissions problem. I tried it and it didn't work for me.
Uhm... Please explain better your "overwriting with 0.8.8" steps:
Did you do these steps in this order?
1) A "clean" (after removing the App Store version) OA 0.8.8 installation, by unpacking 0.8.8 full package?
2) Then unpacked (WHICH ONE? "0.8.8 patch" package? Or "0.8.8 mac binaries only"?) into the same folder, overwriting existing files when the system asked for? Did the system ask for overwriting files?
3) Then, which version of binares did you try to launch? Those in "OpenArena.app", or those in "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app"? None of them worked?

Yes. I did 1), then 2) with the patch because at that time the binary link was broken, and 3) I actually tried all 3 .app files (including the one in the __MACOSX folder. Bottom line is that overwriting a clean full installation with the patch does not correct the permissions problem. Either a new patch file is needed or just remove that from the instructions. I suggest the later.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 02:47:42 AM »

3) I actually tried all 3 .app files (including the one in the __MACOSX folder. Bottom line is that overwriting a clean full installation with the patch does not correct the permissions problem.
Strange, AFAIK the 0.8.8 patch package (oa088p.zip) did work (but I cannot try, and I have no idea if there is a way to check Linux/MAC attributes in a zip file from Windows)...
Did you copy individual files or the complete two folders  "__MACOSX" and "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app"?

@Fromhell, if you read this post: what about adding the small "0.8.8 Mac binaries" package (http://www.jackoverfull.com/Downloads/OAMac_088r28.zip) to the downloads section of the main site, here?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:50:39 AM by Gig » Logged

lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »

Did you copy individual files or the complete two folders  "__MACOSX" and "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app"?

I tried it both ways. Neither way would work. I am not sure of the purpose of the __MACOSX folder and that app file, but I have never been able to get that app to run, regardless of chmod/permissions. I think that whole folder can be deleted. I have been able to get the OA and the OA r28 app files to run. I am not sure which one is recommended. My point all along has been that by trying to be too general or provide too many options, it actually makes it harder for someone like me who just wants to do whatever the devs recommend. For me, there is too much information and too many options on the wiki and the recommended method (if there is one) is hard to discern. Probably a philosophical point. Thanks.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 05:53:19 AM »

Yestarday, Jackoverfull told me, other than he will be offline for some days, that oa088p package seemed working for him.

He also told me that the "__MACOSX" folder is something that is created by the archiver program to preserve some Mac file attributes which are not natively supported by zip format, and that probably one may delete it.

lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »

To anyone reading this with a similar problem, unfortunately the forum will not allow me to change the title to 'solved' or to edit the first post to add the solution, so I am placing it here. I consider the problem solved and appreciate the dialogue that led to a solution. Ultimately, I solved my problem by reading a similar post that clarified the information in the wiki. While I don't want to discourage anyone from using the wiki and appreciate the effort of the maintainers, I think that in an effort to be all things to all people, the wiki instructions are far more verbose and general than 99% of users need, so I offer the following instructions.

---

1) Download 0.8.8 from one of the mirrors.
2) Drag and drop the openarena-0.8.8 folder from the Downloads folder to the Applications folder.
3) In a terminal (Applications>Utilities>Terminal), execute:

chmod +x /Applications/openarena-0.8.8/OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub

Note: you can also do:

3a) To fix the OpenArena 0.8.8 r28 app in the main folder

4) Run OpenArena by clicking on Applications>openarena-0.8.8>OpenArena (or the r28 app)

Note: if you have not enabled unsigned apps on your machine (if you don't know, you haven't), hold control while you left click OpenArena. You will get a message asking you to confirm the first time you run the app and then you should be able to just left click the app with no warning messages.

---
If I can find out which of the apps, OA or OA r28 is the best to use, I will come back and edit these instructions. These instructions work with Yosemite and I expect they will work with at least anything newer than Snow Leopard, maybe farther back than that. Cheers.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 02:14:44 AM »

To anyone reading this with a similar problem, unfortunately the forum will not allow me to change the title to 'solved' or to edit the first post to add the solution, so I am placing it here.
Strange, I thought it should do. Maybe posts become locked, but I thought after some months...

If I can find out which of the apps, OA or OA r28 is the best to use, I will come back and edit these instructions.
"OA r28" are 0.8.8 binaries (around end of 2011/beginning of 2012), whille the others are older 0.8.1 (about mid-2008) binaries. 0.8.1 binaries do lack those engine updates and fixes brought by 0.8.5 and 0.8.8 binaries, such as fixes to "bloom" effect, etc. (One can take a look to the changes DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Changes]here, although many of the changes are about gamecode instead of engine).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: