Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: neumond md3 exporter removes UV's from model  (Read 9573 times)
jurassic3d
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 1

« on: September 24, 2015, 10:03:11 AM »

Well, an issue brought me there I stumbled upon, when I tried to bring a dinosaur model of mine into Open Arena. (Here, how it looks within Blender 2.72)

Openarena is able to load it and it shows up in the menu for selecting a player model, but it doesn't show any textures, I created for the model. The skin and shader files are right according to that, what I've seen in the already included models of the game. Instead, the model is shown in a completely black texture. (I read in the forum, that this is the internal null texture.)
A screenshot shows the dinosaur model in front of a mirror within a map, while the weapon's texture is visible.
I imported the generated md3 file of my model into Blender and found out, that it is missing all of its UV coordinates. In contrast to that, the md3 models, that were shipped with Open Arena do have their UV coordinates in the same way as they were defined in the respective Blender file.

Now, I'm guessing this is why my textures aren't seen in-game.
In the course of that, I'm wondering if other OA users encountered this problem and if there is a way to get the UV's back on the model. So, I'm open for suggestion and I thank you in advance.

Best regards,
jurassic3d
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »

The first thing I'd like to know is what MD3 exporter are you using, and do you have any other UVmaps on the object within Blender (theorizing if it picks up some older, not-unwrapped UV instead)

OA doesn't have a null black texture. If a shader is missing on a model, it will either be invisible (to act as a surface skip), or show as a white/gray blob (the actual internal placeholder texture)

Can you try this exporter? (keep in mind it has a bounding box bug causing the model to disappear when slightly out of sight)

also finally (since there's only a handful of people in the world who can do this) congratulations on exporting a working player model! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:10:58 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jurassic3d
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »

I'm using this one, which is listed in the Blender wiki for 2.6 versions.
I have only one UV map I created before I split the mesh into three parts, so the three parts of the model contain their associated area of this one UV map. Here are few screenshots to explain how I organized it.

UV map areas for the head
UV map areas for the torso
UV map areas for the legs

Oh, ok I didn't know the exact term of how this black texture is called, but I noticed, that the model will be invisible if OA doesn't find the image file(s).
As for the suggested exporter, I'll attempt to put it into Blender and trying it.

Wow, thank you much for that compliment  Embarrassed Well, it still needs some decent animations instead of the simple poses I created for testing purposes  Wink

EDIT:
Well, the neumond exporter does export UV's, but in a wrong way. It places all vertices of the given UV map at one place as shown in the image below: Wrong UV map output
However, the exporter you suggested to me works fine. Thank you much for your support, fromhell.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:50:19 AM by jurassic3d » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: