Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Akomctf5  (Read 31523 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: January 01, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »

Hi all of you, members of OA Community !! Smiley

I'm working on a CTF map for Open Arena.

Here are some screenshots:

BLUE BASE

PASSAGE BETWEEN BLUE AND RED BASE:

RED BASE

Soon will be downloadable a first Beta version.....stay tuned.... Wink

I hope you will enjoy this map and please give some suggestions.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 04:44:05 PM »

Seems interesting...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:55:02 PM »

CASTLES

I'd like to see it -dirty!

I'd also like to see a better sky that doesn't drown the map in urine lighting
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:37:49 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:46:54 AM »

CASTLES

I'd like to see it -dirty!

I'm not sure of what you mean with -dirty.... 

Quote from: fromhell
I'd also like to see a better sky that doesn't drown the map in urine lighting

So sad you don't like the new skybox maked with OA original texture....
...i will change a little bit ....

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »

-dirty is a q3map2 option... it looks like it's related with light occlusion...
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-dirty

About the sky, I can guess she wasn't referring to the texture, but to the color of the light the shader emits...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »

-dirty is a q3map2 option... it looks like it's related with light occlusion...
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-dirty

About the sky, I can guess she wasn't referring to the texture, but to the color of the light the shader emits...

With Q3Radiant i'm not able to do q3map2's stuff, but once the map is released, someone can re-compile it with NETradiant or GTKradiant.

I've changed the "yellow sky" and placed the same of the other base.

Here some other screenshots:

Just a couple of editing and i can give to you (all) a beta version....

Wink

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »

Looks awesome, can't wait to test the beta version. Looking forward to it Grin
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »

Hey guys, here i am with a playable version of OA_Akomctf5 (beta)

Here is the Download link to try it:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/gus5h66w6v6ttkdxsgkv66q2we945wno

I hope you like the idea, but it's not a real big thing. It's just another ctf for OA Smiley Smiley

ALL textures are OA original's, except for the skybox and the red and blue stuff and a concrete (maybe i've to change it).

Enjoy it and tell me what you think.

I know that there is some light to fix and i don't know why a bug appear in a passage, i have to fix it.

Wink

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »

Hey same music theme like my bases reloaded  Wink

Well regarding the map ... it looks to be perfect.

Some that I would add is a stabilizer at the bridges ends (see shot) it looks more realistic to my but thats only my taste.   punched

One question not related to the map, just general from my side is on second picture  Grin

Oh and Edit: no jumppads, traps and secret places with power up items to increase the play fun?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:55:13 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 04:07:19 PM »

Thank you, but there is a lot of things to fix....

For the stabilizer i will insert something, but you (all) will see Smiley

For the second picture you are right, every time i start a new map, i place some brush with the texture i think to use Smiley

And you are right again, there's no jumppads, traps and secret places..... for now..... Tongue

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 04:19:53 PM »

I haven't tried the map yet (just surfing with the phone in these days)... however, about the "just another ctf map for OA"... well, in oacmp volume 1 we had only three ctf maps (and, until we release a fix, only two of them do work on windows clients)... Some more ctf maps in oacmp volume 2 seem a good idea.

Also, from screenshots it looks like an asymmetrical ctf map... something different from usual...

PS: I would like a mirror-like ctf map (symmetrical in a different way than usual)... like q3tourney6_ctf..

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »

Also, from screenshots it looks like an asymmetrical ctf map... something different from usual...

Yes, it's an idea taken from Suicizer words if you remember the other ctf topic Tongue

Quote from: Gig
PS: I would like a mirror-like ctf map (symmetrical in a different way than usual)... like q3tourney6_ctf..

Is that a request ? Could you explain better ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »

Is that a request ? Could you explain better ?
About a new map... Idea, suggestion or request... take it as you prefer! Smiley

Often, symmetric ctf maps are made by replicating and 180degrees-rotating half map, right? So, the red and blue side are completely identical, right?  Example: if when looking from red base to the center of the map you see a lift on your right, also when looking from blue base to the center of the map you see a lift on your right.

IIRC are less common, but still ok ctf maps where the two halfs of the map are like in a mirror instead of rotated... in the previous example, from the red base you would see a lift on your right, while from the blue base you would see a lift on your left. Q3tourney6_ctf is the first example which comes in my mind of a such design in a ctf map, I'm not asking for a clone of that map.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:26:33 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 08:33:15 AM »

@Gig. Got it ! Maybe next map.  Smiley

Anyone notice some bug or anything wrong ? (or to be fixed)

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 11:41:38 AM »

Just done some wandering with cell phone (no bots).
Nice, however some more serious testing is required to be sure the map is balanced enough.
I will not be able to test on PC before next week.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 04:19:47 PM »

Uhm... maybe accesses to the tunnels on one side are a bit too small (too easy to defend)?

What about adding one or two links between the two tunnels, to make players path a little less predictable? If that does not completely ruin vis optimization...

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »

I like the idea of a non mirrowed ctf map. It is like the UrT CTF maps. But I agree the balance need to fit. One think is regarding the weapons .... rail gun is only on one team base.

From the playground .... difficult for me to say if its balanced. This needs to test over a long periode.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »

Uhm... maybe accesses to the tunnels on one side are a bit too small (too easy to defend)?

What about adding one or two links between the two tunnels, to make players path a little less predictable? If that does not completely ruin vis optimization...

Agree, a link between the tunnels will bring more dynamic into the map.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 02:40:24 AM »

I can agree for the link between the tunnels, but as you know, bots tend to follow the shorter path and if i insert other passages shorter than tunnels, bots will follow only that path.

I dont know, this is the flying view of the map:

Maybe i can insert another tunnel below the terrain......

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 03:01:50 AM »

Well, a link between the tunnels may make the path longer, depending from how you make it...

PS: maybe you understood in my previous message I meant adding a third tunnel to connect the two bases directly... instead I meant a link from a tunnel to the other one...  linking tunnels, not bases.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:05:23 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 03:08:44 AM »

Muahahahaha !!! I've understand well, but now, thinking at UT, i will change "something", you will see.

I'm editing........ ....stay tuned.....

I'd like to hear Suicizer word about the map, and obviously some suggestion about gameplay item placement and other stuff like this. Smiley Tongue

Wink

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 04:49:38 PM »

Hi Akom, hi Gig,

how about that change: bring a T connection directly at the tunnle entrys to connect the bases & the tunnels at the same time ... see the pic to understand my suggestion.
It needs to be a straight and small tunnel, myabe with some barrel or wooden boxes to disturbe the view and offer some snaky spots  alien

I guess that will bring a nice improvement to the map.
It will turn the simple "0-map layout" into a more advanced "8-map layout"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:54:30 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »

Hi Smiley

After 2 hours, 54 minutes and 41 seconds of compiling time, the map is ready for another test.

Here is the download link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/gus5h66w6v6ttkdxsgkv66q2we945wno

Now the PK3 is bigger than before, bot roam strangely....dont know why...

By the way ther's one or two graphic bug noticed by me now and i won't  re-compile it another time....  punched

I hope you enjoy this version and please tell me about gameplay item placement and whatever you notice.

The lights in the passages need to be fixed......don't know how, the lights are from an original texture, maybe i have to change with another....

Wink

P.S.: Sorry carca55gr1nd3r, after a lot of work i have read your suggestion and i dont want to erase and rebuild all the job i've do...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »

About compiling times, are you sure you are using multithreading?
Q3Radiant (at least version 202, IIRC) had this strange thing that the option for "final" compiling had "-threads 1" option, hence slowing down compiling on multicore systems... manually editing a file with a text editor was required to fix.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multithreaded_map_compiling

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 03:02:43 PM »

About compiling times, are you sure you are using multithreading?
Q3Radiant (at least version 202, IIRC) had this strange thing that the option for "final" compiling had "-threads 1" option, hence slowing down compiling on multicore systems... manually editing a file with a text editor was required to fix.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multithreaded_map_compiling

I dont know what to tell you, all my 4 core were at 100% of full usage, in FULLVIS mode.

In FASTVIS mode it take about 7 minutes.

Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: