Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small oa_tourney map basically 1vs1 style  (Read 5985 times)
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« on: July 12, 2017, 04:31:42 AM »

Hi Guys,

here a tourney map draft basically for 1vs1 tourneys.

map draft:
https://app.box.com/s/ldu0zebhqpl8a0lzp74wplsgj8hii6jm

shots:

comments are welcome ...   punched
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:56:03 AM »

Quickly tried. Not bad, although of course lighting and texturing are unfinished!  Smiley

However:
- Some places felt somehow.. claustrophobic? I mean, some places felt a bit too small. Maybe it's just me, or maybe you did it on purpose.
- In some places, one risks to get stuck against walls. I don't mean "not be able to move anymore", just that you are strafejumping and you risk to hit a wall.
- The bot does not seem very interested into using the jumppad.
- What about a second jummpad to reach the upper floor, to prevent one from "camping" at those who have only a way to reach him? (However I noticed the bot was able to hit me with lightning although he was still on the lower floor).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:40 AM »

Playtested. Smiley Gave it a quick run with a bot.

As of this stage, it's a good idea to focus in the layout. Texture and lighting being alpha is not a problem by now. Smiley

Like Gig said, the map feels a bit claustrophobic, which gives an edge to splash damage weapons such as GL, RL and PG.
Do you plan to use the upper (as of now untextured) ledges for a reason? They aren't clipped at all, and can be used for more advanced tactics and strategies in human-based matches.
Also the map needs more connectivity regarding the upper areas. As of now there's only one way to access the upper floor without rocket jumping, while middle and lower floors have a bit more of connectivity.
Although the map will be possibly used in Instagib mode and the RG is indeed placed in a good area (one-way rooms are ideal places for dangerous weapons such as the RG) perhaps removing the RG from all weapons and create a jumppad or teleporter in this area to the upper floor may work?
There's a pair of ledges in the middle floor, in the water pool area, with the right trimming they may enable a jump over the ledges, already possible with the upper floor ledges.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:52:46 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:40:50 AM »

Thx Guys,

thanks for your comments.

- Some places felt somehow.. claustrophobic? I mean, some places felt a bit too small. Maybe it's just me, or maybe you did it on purpose.

punched Yes I totaly agree so I fix it immediantly:

https://app.box.com/s/s7x1fx0jw969k97bv5zyy8i9td81ef1a

- In some places, one risks to get stuck against walls. I don't mean "not be able to move anymore", just that you are strafejumping and you risk to hit a wall.

I guess you mean the wall ledges at the stairroom will figure out how to improve it

- The bot does not seem very interested into using the jumppad.

Maybe try to direct them by use of donotenter?

- What about a second jummpad to reach the upper floor, to prevent one from "camping" at those who have only a way to reach him? (However I noticed the bot was able to hit me with lightning although he was still on the lower floor).

I think about a additional connection between mid level (from small champers left and right of the pool area) to the top level. But not just a stair or jump pad room. I want it more complex with some more "action rooms"

The ledges at the roof are just eyecandy shall be not be reachable (have also try to fix it in the current preAlpha version)

Cheers CG
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:21:51 PM »

Tried the new version. I'm not sure about having RG and Quad in the same side. That's too much power in one area.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: