Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea how to make overlays less confusing  (Read 11628 times)
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: November 06, 2016, 07:34:56 AM »

1. Apply most overlays (battle suit, regen) only to player, NOT to the weapon

2. Apply Quad effect ONLY to weapon, not to the player. And make it more excessive (aggressively animated texture / additional overlapped model of lighting flashing around / a ghostly toothy maw around the barrel / optionally switch the weapon model to an alternate brightskin.
In short make it look like the weapon went Super Sayan 2 but not touch the player holding it.

This way the various effects would be never confused and you'd be free to choose colors more freely. For example, orange Quad color for the red team (more visible than red, which is too dark)

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »

In short make it look like the weapon went Super Sayan 2 but not touch the player holding it.
Considering the quad damage color, SSGSS sounds more appropriate. ^_^

Sorry guys... only people knowing Dragon Ball Super series may understand this (there is a transformation which has the comfortable name of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.... also known as Super Saiyan Blue).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:00:38 AM »

Talking seriously, one should consider that old mods would continue using the "classic" way. Are we sure that we would not be going to add more confusion?

Also, if only the weapon would shine, isn't there the risk that from some angles of view one may not see it at all?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »

old mods would continue using the "classic" way.
If it is modded, use the old method.
If, as I suspect, this is scripted (qvm or whatevah) then do this by adding new flags "doesn't affect weapon" "doesn't affect lower", "doesn't affect upper", "doesn't affect head". Old scripts wouldn't know that, reverting gracefully.

risk that from some angles of view one may not see it at all?
1. That's why the flashing aura of lightning bolts that propagate wider than the weapon itself.
2. There is too much motion, it would only happen if you were sneaking up behind and to the left of a quaded camper who stays still. He asked for it Angry

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:40:58 PM »

Having the player shelled but not the weapon would be ugly. Also having the weapon only shelled instead of the player would make it less instinctively visible to players

I'm not changing this.  If there's anything about the powerup shells i'm changing it would be adding an option to render them as a sphere instead of a shell to save some old CPU juice.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 12:57:53 AM »

If there's anything about the powerup shells i'm changing it would be adding an option to render them as a sphere instead of a shell to save some old CPU juice.
That sounds a nice idea!  Smiley Although a sphere larger than the player may have the side effect of "passing through walls"?
Do you imagine it as a client-side option or a server-side option?

If that's aimed for old hardware, one may think as a client-side option... but if it has got the effect of making characters more visible than normally, it would be fair to be a serverside one. I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:05:06 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: