Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare game types are rare  (Read 10373 times)
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« on: February 03, 2017, 10:08:30 AM »

I never see anyone playing anything but DM and CTF.
Why? Because gathering initial crowd is difficult.

The current approach to this is wrong.

To promote these game types, OA3 should tempt already gathered crowds playing DM or CTF by offering them to switch to these game types for the next round. There is a voting system, just make server use it if there are 6 or more players.

And this should be the *default* server behavior, server owner should set a new variable to 1 to disable his. Otherwise we'll never see these game types really played.

P.S. The option "changes randomly after each round" is also viable. Experienced this in AoS, liked it.

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:01:31 AM »

If the fact that -since q3a- changing gametype breaks map rotation scripts would be fixed, maybe server admins may simply change gametype in their map rotation scrips. NOTE: I think in OAX it's already possible to create specific configuration files to be executed when entering a certain gametype, so maybe the problem could be workarounded and a new rotation script may start depending from the gametype. But I haven't tested that yet.

Or maybe one might create something like "g_autonextgametype" to be used together with "g_autonextmap"?
However, I would not automatically change gametype by default.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:12:57 AM »

I never see anyone playing anything but DM and CTF.
Why? Because gathering initial crowd is difficult.

The current approach to this is wrong.

To promote these game types, OA3 should tempt already gathered crowds playing DM or CTF by offering them to switch to these game types for the next round. There is a voting system, just make server use it if there are 6 or more players.

And this should be the *default* server behavior, server owner should set a new variable to 1 to disable his. Otherwise we'll never see these game types really played.

P.S. The option "changes randomly after each round" is also viable. Experienced this in AoS, liked it.

Your idea of changing gamemode achter each match is horrible; especially as it's not mentioned properly in OA which mode you are actually playing (would be awesome if it is being stated when connecting tot a server or starting a new match).
People will leave the server if they don't like the mode. Hou can't force them. It's that simple.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »

I don't know the latest advances in OAX, it might now be possible with OA vanilla.

ExcessivePlus also allows to switch gametype, and even to have multiarenas (with multiple gametypes and maps on a single server). You might also want to look into OATMeal.

You can also achieve this without any mod with a bit of scripting either by using B3 or oa-game-rotator, a Python script I made specifically for that purpose (but it works using a "planning" file, so by time of the day, not by server population, but you might tweak it to do that).
cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »

Your idea of changing gamemode achter each match is horrible;
I did not mean an automatic switch.
I meant server starting a vote to switch to another gamemode after the current match is over.

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 05:31:37 AM »

This is one of the things UI3 should tackle. In Nexuiz/Xonotic, the SP is composed of a series of rungs that show the players what every gamemode/option is about. Players won't know there are more gamemodes than the default ones if the game itself doesn't show them.

OA3 will have 13 gametypes and plenty of options inside of those gametypes. The highly requested "Capturestrike" mode was already present in OA0 as the one-way mode of CTF Elimination, but very few know about this, for example. It's the responsability of the SP to show the players about these modes, regardless of their popularity (remember: popularity != quality).

My idea for the SP are 14 rungs, 13 for each of the game modes, and a bonus one which is unlocked after everything else has been unlocked. Each of the rungs would be 3 maps long. The order of the rungs would be the following:

• Rung 1: Free For All - introduction to Free For All with Fraglimit, Deathmatch with Timelimit and another option.
  • Rung 2: Possession - introduction to Possession with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 3: Last Man Standing - introduction to LMS with round limits, LMS with many lives and one round, and another option.
  • Rung 4: Team Deathmatch - introduction to TDM with Fraglimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 5: Elimination - introduction to Elimination with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 6: Domination - introduction to Domination with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 7: Overload - introduction to Overload with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 8: Double Domination - introduction to Double DOM with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 9: One Flag CTF - introduction to 1FCTF with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 10: Capture The Flag - introduction to CTF with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 11: CTF Elimination - introduction to eCTF with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 12: Harvester - introduction to Harvester with Capturelimit, and two other options.
  • Rung 13: Tournament. Three straight 1-on-1 matches without gimmicks.
In addition to these rungs, once a rung has been cleared, an Endurance rung of that gamemode would be unlocked. Endurance rungs are rungs that play the same gametype across all the supported official maps, without any modifier. If the player lost a rung, one option would be enabled for a less frustrating experience. (The so called Anti-Frustration Features)

Clearing all regular and Endurance rungs (thus ensuring players have played at least one match in every gametype and every map, thus getting used to them or at least having the idea) would net the player a bonus 1on1 match with a Nightmare++ (i.e. something even more difficult than Nightmare) bot against the most difficult bot to deal with.

And then the credits, lol!

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: