Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Troubleshooting, Disturbed Graphics  (Read 13276 times)
yourself
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 01, 2007, 07:26:08 AM »

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to track down a randomly appearing graphics problem I have. It appeared a few days ago and I can't figure out what it is. I hope
it is not a hardware failure of my graphics card.
Here is a screenshot

of the problem.
Does anybody saw anything like that?
I use openarena quite a while and I never had any problems with it. So I assumed I messed up the config, but the problem
stayed after I deleted my ~/.openarena directory.
Any ideas or hints?

Thanks in advance,
C.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:22:25 PM »

It's either the card overheating or the card overclocked or the card not liking brightness control

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:38:31 PM »

Ouch dude thats not good, looks like you've got a screwed video card to me. If you've got the spare cash I'd jump onto newegg and invest in a new one, preferably nvidia. If you have AGP, go with a 6600gt or 6800gt, if you've got pci-e, go with a 7600gt or 7900gs. If you don't have the spare cash, then you're just going to have to hang in there.

However, does it do it randomly? Or all the time? Is it with every game? If its all the time and with every game that uses hardware acceleration (opengl or direct3d), then I would fear the worst. Also, do you run Linux, MacOSX or Windows? If you run Windows, try installing the latest graphic driver/reinstalling it whatever you're using, ati or nvidia. If you're on linux, might as well try the same thing but probably won't make a difference unless you're maybe on ATI. Windows however might have something to do with it if you're using that so a driver update/reinstall in that would be worth a shot. And of course, if all else fails, then you're pretty much screwed, sucks man, I had a 6800 burn up about a year ago on me, however it wouldn't even work in hardware accelerate games for more than 30 seconds, then it would just go blank.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:43:21 PM by Malikith » Logged

Support Open Source Software!

-- Catch me on IRC at the Open Arena channel, its at irc.anynet.org at #openarena --

-- If you need to contact me for whatever reason, my messenger info is all next to my avatar, go ahead and add me up. --

-- Running Fedora Core 6 X86_64 --
yourself
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 01:07:01 PM »

Thats bad news. I was able to reproduce it with another 3d game and under beryl (3d window manager) so this isn't an openarena issues anymore. So thank you for your time. Sadly, this is a notebook with a Radeon R250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] so I won't be able to change the graphicschip/card.
I will try your suggestions Malikith, but it seems to be clear now that it has to be a hardware issue. So say goodbye to my damn
expensive thinkpad.
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »

man that's a drag D:

I wonder what it'd look like with 3D glasses on.

anyways, hope it don't keep you outta the arena for too long
Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »

Thats bad news. I was able to reproduce it with another 3d game and under beryl (3d window manager) so this isn't an openarena issues anymore. So thank you for your time. Sadly, this is a notebook with a Radeon R250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] so I won't be able to change the graphicschip/card.
I will try your suggestions Malikith, but it seems to be clear now that it has to be a hardware issue. So say goodbye to my damn
expensive thinkpad.

Oh ouch man, i'm sorry to hear that, that sucks, its always the worst when it happens in laptops.

-- Catch me on IRC at the Open Arena channel, its at irc.anynet.org at #openarena --

-- If you need to contact me for whatever reason, my messenger info is all next to my avatar, go ahead and add me up. --

tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 04:04:34 PM »

just an idea, can you hook it up to a regualr vga display?
Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »

He probably can, the problem is, if it was something wrong with his actual display, the screenshot would look fine.

tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »

He probably can, the problem is, if it was something wrong with his actual display, the screenshot would look fine.

D'oh! your right.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 06:34:34 PM »

Ouch dude thats not good, looks like you've got a screwed video card to me. If you've got the spare cash I'd jump onto newegg and invest in a new one, preferably nvidia. If you have AGP, go with a 6600gt or 6800gt, if you've got pci-e, go with a 7600gt or 7900gs. If you don't have the spare cash, then you're just going to have to hang in there.

The 8600 will also be released with an AGP version, according to Phoronix. 

expensive thinkpad.

Don't give up yet, if it is still under warranty you should RMA it and have them replace the chip.  Or better yet, find a new MB with an nVidia graphics chip that will fit your thinkpad case and replace it yourself.  There are a few places to find motherboards for laptops, do a froogle search for them.

Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »

Dude Malikith don't you remember I showed you what mine was like?! It's worse!

http://instagib.jorgepena.be/downloads/images/one.jpg
http://instagib.jorgepena.be/downloads/images/two.jpg
http://instagib.jorgepena.be/downloads/images/three.jpg

I 'fixed' it (In quotes cause it's never permanent, haha) by cleaning it out with my dad's air compressor. Try doing that, could be the cause for the overheating. I already have 10 fans in my case 5 of which are directed at my video card. The thing that makes me down is that it's a 9800 pro 128, yeah, it's old, but I worked so hard to get the money to buy it (Haha I didn't have a job when I got it, and still don't), and it sucks that back then it cost a lot and was pretty cool and it's leaving me down like this.

What seemed to work for me ('Seems', cause I don't know the actual cause), was making sure I leave com_maxfps at the default (I had it at 400), cleaning it out with compressed air (the computer) and keeping it cool, now it runs pretty smooth :')
yourself
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 10:04:07 AM »

Don't give up yet, if it is still under warranty you should RMA it and have them replace the chip.  Or better yet, find a new MB with an nVidia graphics chip that will fit your thinkpad case and replace it yourself.  There are a few places to find motherboards for laptops, do a froogle search for them.

It's not under warranty anymore, but I thought about replacing the components. I'm not a hardware expert, so I will ask around if
it's possible to do it on my own or have some servicepartners do it for me (depends on the cost, too).
I never opened my thinkpad. Maybe on the weekend, when I have some spare time. Thanks for the hint!
(And I don't want an ATI Chip anymore, that's for sure)

Btw, this air compressor thing. Funny coincidence: Yesterday I told a friend about it and he told me he had exactly the same problems
with his old laptop and his first advice was: Use an air compressor! ;-) Perhaps I should try that. :-)
Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 10:07:14 AM »

It's not under warranty anymore, but I thought about replacing the components. I'm not a hardware expert, so I will ask around if
it's possible to do it on my own or have some servicepartners do it for me (depends on the cost, too).
I never opened my thinkpad. Maybe on the weekend, when I have some spare time. Thanks for the hint!
(And I don't want an ATI Chip anymore, that's for sure)

Btw, this air compressor thing. Funny coincidence: Yesterday I told a friend about it and he told me he had exactly the same problems
with his old laptop and his first advice was: Use an air compressor! ;-) Perhaps I should try that. :-)

Yeah, anything is possible, the dust inside could be causing the heat to build up, worth a shot.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 01:40:38 AM »

I already have 10 fans in my case 5 of which are directed at my video card.

Are those fans blowing air in? Or sucking air out?

Blowing air in can cause hot-spots, dust build up and a few other problems.

Sucking the air out is much more effective and reduces those problems. It also makes the room nice and warm. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: