Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of concept: "Elevator Action Sequence"  (Read 8551 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: October 29, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »

Before starting, the explanation of the name:

http://www.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElevatorActionSequence

In a game or movie with many wide-open spaces, elevators (even large, moving ones) tend to be static areas from which it is impossible to escape. The situation forces characters into a fight whether they like it or not, and also moves everyone automatically, so that we can pay more attention to the battle than where they're going. That people on an elevator must be going somewhere is naturally a foregone conclusion.

Similar to the elevator is the funicular, which is like an elevator that moves along a diagonal plane instead of straight up and down. The funicular is also known to attract its fair share of action.

While watching a Quake II (Nintendo 64 version) walkthrough, I've found out a map ("Descent to Core") which had a concept almost not explored in AFPS. The map takes place in a descending platform with multiple levels. Transition between levels can be done either by using low grav or by stepping onto the railing protuberances. As I had no layout in mind but wanted to churn out something to test, I just did a basic layout with many func_train and path_corner connected, and a static play area. Of course, there are some known problems.

Here's the .pk3 for testing.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:45:43 AM »

Done some testing. It's quite interesting.

But the func_train can be blocked by players, so parts of the moving structure may end up not being exactly where they are supposed to be.
Probably it may work correctly in OAX (I haven't tried yet) due to the change that func_train will destroy player blocking them there, but however the map would always risk to be "broken" in old mods.

@Fromhell, I tried to add a screenshot, but it is says "upload folder is full".

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »

That could be solved by adding a small trigger_hurt area with "dmg" = 9999 and the NO_PROTECTION flag set. The method is even compatible with old maps.

Here's a fixed version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/efq99rrhyefw3ak/elevatortest-v2.pk3?dl=0

As for the screenshots, you could try uploading to imgur.com .

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:32:44 AM »

It can still be blocked by dropped items (try holding a weapon different than machinegun or gauntlet when being killed there).
Maybe some common/nodrop may help?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: