Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Map-Center Open Arena Map Pack released!  (Read 139326 times)
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« on: March 22, 2007, 12:16:30 PM »

Myself and the guys over at www.map-center.com have released a set of our maps converted to be compatabile with Open Arena.

6 Deathmatch maps are included.

You can download the pack from here: http://files.filefront.com/mc_oa_mappackzip/;7001095;;/fileinfo.html

Server admins, please let us know if you put our maps in rotation as we'd all love to play you guys at them.

Please note that these maps are NOT released under the GPL (The custom textures are not released under a GPL compatable license) and this is NOT AN OFFICIAL OA RELEASE.

That said, I hope you guys enjoy playing them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:36:38 PM by Amphetamine » Logged

Top 5 tunes last week:
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 12:43:55 PM »

Why not release the textures under the GPL?

Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 12:56:30 PM »

Why not release the textures under the GPL?

Because I'm not the IP owner.

Top 5 tunes last week:
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »

Damn, these maps are so frickin sweet. Maybe you will allow some people to take them and try to replace their textures with GPL'd ones? Don't know, just a thought.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 02:39:49 PM »

Nice. I have just played them all once to see how they feel. And they there great.

Also good variation between the maps.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
stjartmunnen
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »

Most of the textures in my maps are made by me. The .maps are included so feel free to do whatever the heck you want with them. If you are unsure of which textures that need to be removed contact me and we can sort it out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 02:48:35 PM by stjartmunnen » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 03:25:18 PM »

Most of the textures in my maps are made by me. The .maps are included so feel free to do whatever the heck you want with them. If you are unsure of which textures that need to be removed contact me and we can sort it out.

We can't touch the maps legally within this project unless you are willing to license them under the GPL or a compatible license for us, it sounds like you are willing to do that but we need more than a "do whatever the heck you want with them."  A small zip or tar.bz2 file that includes the maps and a copy of the GPL and your readme should cover the legalities.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »

I doubt that'll happen, as I think I recognize some of other's work like metlslime's textures in that sandy map up there

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »

I was talking about the maps, not the textures or models.  We can always re-texture them and use our own models for what people don't want to license under the GPL for whatever reason.

Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »

dmn_clown, that's exactly what I meant Smiley

If this could happen, it'd be great! For those who don't understand, basically if the map itself were under the GPL (Not necessarily the textures, just the .map file), then we could re-texture them with GPL'd textures ourselves Cheesy If whoever is the original author of these maps would approve of this, it'd be great for all of us! These maps look like top quality!
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 07:25:31 PM »

Just to clarify the intention here: This was created in a short timeframe by taking some maps we already had with little existing id software content in them and modifying them to be OA compatable. This was done because we wanted to give the players here a new selection of 100% compatable maps to play while you're waiting for more official ones.

As much as I would like to make a map that is releaseable under the GPL, I have not yet found a matching set of textures of sufficient quality and in a style that I want to work with that are under a GPL compatable license. Most texture sets I work with are distributed under a CC 2.0 or similar license which prohibits comercial use. Making my own textures would not be out of the question, but it would be a serious time sink if I had to create a large amount of the visual media myself due to my art skills being comparable to those of a house brick (I use MapZone2 to make textures procedurally, but it's very time consuming).

Top 5 tunes last week:
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »

Did you actually read what we said a couple times? If you were kind enough as to release the actual maps under the GPL (JUST the map, not the textures, etc.), then we could re-texture them ourselves. And thanks to the open source nature, we could all contribute, and if it sucks in version something, it'll get better in version something+1. Just clarifying, up to you whether or not of course.
stjartmunnen
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 11:23:34 PM »

When I said "feel free to do whatever the heck you want with them" I meant that I would release all content (including textures) under GPL if you want to use it in this project. 90 % of the textures are created by me. Of course its up to you if you want to replace the textures or keep them. If you want me to release under GPL just let me know and I will.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:25:54 PM by stjartmunnen » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 12:10:22 AM »

If you are willing to release your content and maps under the GPL for us, please do so, stjartmunnen.  We need a bigger selection of maps and textures to keep Logan from whining about being bored.

stjartmunnen
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 02:29:22 AM »

OK...who should I send the .zip to?
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 02:39:35 AM »

Did you actually read what we said a couple times? If you were kind enough as to release the actual maps under the GPL (JUST the map, not the textures, etc.), then we could re-texture them ourselves. And thanks to the open source nature, we could all contribute, and if it sucks in version something, it'll get better in version something+1. Just clarifying, up to you whether or not of course.

Ofc I read everything written, that was just a statement to clarify my original intentions.

The trouble with that is though that I don't map with the intent of others seeing the source file. As such it's messy in there. I'm actually prety tempted to release the .map just to see how big a headache it would cause the person trying to re-work it.

Right, I've gotta go out. Will muse on that point while I'm gone.

Top 5 tunes last week:
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 11:36:29 AM »

Nice high quality maps.
I've played the top one.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 12:36:10 PM »

OK...who should I send the .zip to?

You can send it to me.

Ofc I read everything written, that was just a statement to clarify my original intentions.

The trouble with that is though that I don't map with the intent of others seeing the source file. As such it's messy in there. I'm actually prety tempted to release the .map just to see how big a headache it would cause the person trying to re-work it.

I would highly doubt your maps are really that bad, I've played around with iD's Quake 1 maps (Now THERE is a nightmare) Z-fighting galore...

stjartmunnen
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »

You can send it to me.

I sent you a pm. Enjoy Wink .

pio
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »

sweet.

You are all indviduals
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 01:24:07 PM »

The lava map looks really nice.

Good that you guys were able to work something out! Cheesy

Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 05:15:53 PM »

dmn_clown, are they in the subversion? If not could you put them somewhere public so we could all get them? Sweet, thanks stjartmunnen and Amph!
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 06:15:40 PM »

I would highly doubt your maps are really that bad, I've played around with iD's Quake 1 maps (Now THERE is a nightmare) Z-fighting galore...

It's not a major issue with the constuction as such. I had to do some nasty hacks to stop the bots from taking a hot bath every 10 seconds and I feel kinda embarased letting people see the solution I had to resort to.

You'll need to light with: -light -fast -bounce 8 -patchshadows -gamma 2 -compensate 3 -dirty -samples 4 -nocollapse -v

Don't forget to add the external lightmaps into the pk3.

I'll get the map zipped up and sent. Best of luck to you.

Oh, could you possibly pm me a copy of the text I need for the license? Cheers.

Top 5 tunes last week:
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 06:34:19 PM »

Don't worry, now that it's open source we can improve it/fix it if it needs any! Cheesy

Here's the text, ( http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt ). Just put it inside a file called LICENSE or something, copy and paste everything in that link into there. Also make a README file if you want, saying you are the original author and crediting people who helped if you can, and mentioning that the things are released under the GPL which they could read in the LICENSE file, just a thought, don't know if all of this is really necessary though.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 07:42:02 PM »

dmn_clown, are they in the subversion? If not could you put them somewhere public so we could all get them? Sweet, thanks stjartmunnen and Amph!

Keep your pants on, they'll be in the svn when they are in the svn.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: