Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Linux installtion please (Kubuntu)  (Read 11156 times)
zakkfan25
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 11, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »

Hi all,

Well I downloaded a Zip file that had the game with the new update.  I have the folder extracted to my home dir but I want to get it on my start menu so I don't have to go in the folder everytime and click on the ioquake3.i386 file.  What is the different between ioquake3-smp.i386 and ioquake3.i386?  They both run so I was just wondering.  Thanks in advance for any information.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:32:37 PM »

download the menu png from the svn ->
place it in the game folder ->
right click on the kicker ->
menu editor ->
new item ->
enter the name ->
click on the "Open file dialog" button ->
browse to the binary ->
drag the menu entry to where you want it to appear in your menu ->
click on the big button next to name and description ->
click other icons ->
browse ->
navigate to the above mentioned png ->
click ok ->
save ->
enjoy your new menu item

crow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:37:27 PM »

The smp denotes whether you are using a dual core or hyper threaded CPU.

I don't use Kubuntu - is that using KDE? If so:
1. Right click on the 'K Menu' button on the taskbar and select 'Menu Editor' - you should see all the menu items.
2. Select the Games sub folder then File -> New Item
3. Enter a name for the game, like OpenArena (you should now see this appear in the left hand pane of the KDE Menu Editor.

To the right of the pane should be program parameters you can enter.
The following will work:
Name : OpenArena
Description: whatever you want
Command: /usr/games/openarena/openarena-0.7.0/ioquake3-smp.x86_64
Enable Launch Feedback - I have this enabled

That's it. Of course select the appropriate executable for your system - so ioquake3-smp.i386 or ioquake3.i386 in the command above and your path to openarena will probably be different as well.

Of course if your not using the KDE menu editor then disregard what I've said.

Make sure you have executable permissions to the ioquake3-smp.i386 or ioquake3.i386 command otherwise when you select it from the menu it will just flicker up a window and disappear again.

Just noticed that someone else replied but seeing as how I typed this you've got it again.

Cya...
zakkfan25
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:46:42 PM »

Thanks for the response guys.  Just one more question to add to that.  Shouldn't the folder for the game be placed some where other than my home dir?  Like usr/local/games or usr/games? 
crow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »

/usr/games is probably an appropriate place for it - that's where mine is.
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:49 PM »

Shouldn't the folder for the game be placed some where other than my home dir?

you can if you want, but it works fine from the home directory. i've got a few different versions of linux on my system that share the same home directory, so it makes sense to keep my openarena folder there so i can use it on whichever system i boot.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 01:29:12 AM »

You can place it in your /usr/games directory but if you want to fiddle with the files it easier in your home directory.

If you want to keep things clean in your home directory just create a "games" directory and place all your games in there. That's what I do. Smiley
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 05:29:05 AM »

/usr/games is probably an appropriate place for it - that's where mine is.

Only if the package is managed by your distribution.  Otherwise (according to the FHS) it should be in /usr/local/games/ or /opt/games/

crow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 05:41:50 PM »

Yeah DC, your probably technically correct but I'm sure there's an abundance of users who don't strictly follow the FHS especially when it comes to home machines.

Having said that I guess /usr/local or /opt is the more correct answer. Wherever you put it though I'm sure you have nothing to fear from the FHS police knocking on your door Cool
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:52:02 PM »

True, I tend to install things like this in /srv/, though only because I don't feel like moving /usr/local/games/ to the HD that /srv resides on.

Artemis3
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »

If your kubuntu is 7.04, instead of using the zip, you could install the debs from http://www.getdeb.net/ then do:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i openarena-data_0.7.0-1~getdeb1_all.deb ; sudo dpkg -i openarena_0.7.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb

This installs the game system wide just like the 0.6 in the official repositories.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: