Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: female soldier concept - feedback request  (Read 35141 times)
hyp3rfocus
« on: August 18, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »

hi, this is a model i'm working on. once it's finished i'm considering using it as a basis for a game character. she's quite strongly influenced by private vasquez from the film aliens.

the vest top is pretty much done, the bandana needs some work and i'm going to make some combat trousers and boots (the shorts are just temporary).

all feedback is welcome. i'd be interested to hear the ladies views on the model's physique and clothing.

Sausage
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Ilaa

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:17:22 AM »

...Nice, but one problem i seem to think is that she has no hair coming out of the bandana(Which looks more like a beanie hat.)

- Sausage
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:38:10 AM »

yeah, i was going to have her with a crewcut, but i think i'll give her a longer hairstyle.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:59:29 AM »

Vasquez was more muscular, as she'd have to be to lug around that large minigun.

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 05:33:56 AM »

good point, i think the legs might be muscular enough, but she could definitely do with some more upper body strength.
Sausage
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Ilaa

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:55:29 AM »

I have a name for her.
'Butch Bitch'  But i doubt you'll us it.

Good luck finishing this.

- Sausage
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »

I have a proposition about the shape. Would it be possible to "merge" the clothes with the body instead of having them upon the skin (like how it is in real life). It's more for skinning flexibility purpose I guess (so you can replace that shirt with another piece of clothing without major problems -- I tried to reskin a bit with Beret but quickly gave up because of this)
It's just a proposition.

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 10:51:24 AM »

Would it be possible to "merge" the clothes with the body

don't worry, that's the plan. i'm keeping the clothes seperate for now so i can use the body as a reference to get the shape right. kind of like a tailor's dummy. once i'm happy with the clothes i'll remove the unnecessary body part and make it all one mesh.

what i will do is mark the seams along the edge of the clothing when it comes to uvmapping, so the skin and clothes will be clearly seperated when it comes to painting the texture. makes life a lot easier. i might even put the skin and clothing on different textures so that different shaders can be applied to each if required.

i'm reading an interesting book right now. Modeling a Character in 3DS Max by paul steed. he's did character modeling for quake 1 and 2 (among others) and the book is really useful.
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 10:57:21 AM »

Ok, my bad. I trust you Wink

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »

no worries anyone, you made some good points. i know i'm doing this in a weird way, making a high-res model instead of a low res model that would work for the game. it's just that i'm more used to this kind of work and i find it easier to get the shape right when i can see it as a more realistic human. once i'm happy with it i'll start work on a proper game model.
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 03:27:38 PM »

ok, latest shot. i've taken dmn-clown's advice about her needing more muscles to lug heavy weapons. i've ditched the clothes for now and started resculpting the body. i figured the legs looked strong enough so concentrated on the upper body. she's looking a bit more solid, which may not be to everyone's taste, but it fits the role.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 06:30:22 PM »

The wrists look wrong

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 10:44:22 PM »

Do you really need those toes?

You're using makehuman, right?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Bank
Nub

Cakes 0

You are Pablo Picasso.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:22:31 PM »

Arms still aren't big enough. It's just the arms that should muscle up, the torso is pretty solid.
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 11:54:44 PM »

dmn_clown- you're right, there's a weird dent on the wrist. thanks for that.

leilei- yeah, i originally used makehuman, now i'm tweaking the shape in blender. i'm not going to use this model for the game character, this is more of a sketch to get the shape right that i'll use as a guide when i make the actual game model.

bank- cool, i was wondering if i should bulk the arms up a bit.
SnooSnoo
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 06:02:59 AM »

Maybe this can help a bit

or this one

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0090605/Ss/0090605/IMG0008.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0090605
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 01:48:27 PM »

thanks snoosnoo, they're nice shots. she looks good holding the gun.

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 01:57:31 AM »

ok, i think i'm happy with the "sketch" now. i've done a front and side render combined them into a single image that i'll set as the background image in blender to use as a reference.

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 02:40:21 AM »

ok, using the background reference picture, i've started modelling.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:59:02 AM by hyp3rfocus » Logged
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 05:02:51 AM »

ok, the vest is modeled. it could probably do with some poly reduction, but i'll leave that for now. to make life easier for people who want to make custom skins i'm going to map all the clothing to a seperate texture. here's a shot of the vest with a quick skin on it and the uvmap layout so far.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:01:23 AM by hyp3rfocus » Logged
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 06:45:41 AM »

Looks really nice so far, and the idea with separate clothing is really nice. I should also tell you, from my virtual girlfriend that doesn't exist, that she really appreciates that you are doing this and that she also likes the model.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 08:53:28 AM »

thanks w1zrd and "linda".   :-)

here's the latest.

i've roughly extruded the arms and now i'm trying to shape the muscles.
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »

Sausage
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Ilaa

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »

Hyp3rfocus, you've made great progress on this model since i last looked, Great Work!

Good luck getting it finished, and animating.

- Sausage
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 07:55:20 AM »

the bulk of the modeling is done now. i just need to add some hair and ears. the legs and boots are a bit crude, but i can always add more detail later if required.

i've been putting edge loops in at the joints. i used one for the wrist, shoulder and knee, but i put two in at the elbow because it looked like it might do more movement than the other joints.here's a shot where i've coloured them blue and magenta.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: