Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there instructions for installing new map packs??  (Read 16599 times)
Mike Dolan
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 27, 2007, 02:27:36 PM »

Please help a greenhorn!

I've been a CUBE / Sauerbraten player since '03, but installing maps in OA is new to me . . . and a little frightening. I might damage something!

I just finished downloading the High Quality Map Package torrent. I've unzipped the five map packs and the other files and folders. Now what do I do? Where do I put the packs? Or do I take the maps out of the packs and put them someplace? Do I unzip each of the map files? Or leave them zipped?

Hasn't anybody written clear, easy-to-understand instructions that someone like me can download and read?

--Mike
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:33:25 PM »

Place them in you baseoa directory
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:01:56 PM »

It should look like this in your baseoa folder once you've done it correctly.

Mike Dolan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 10:12:24 AM »

Dear Coconut_Kapow--

I'm using UltimateZip on my system and I couldn't get along without it. But in my baseoa folder all the maps appear as UZ files, even the ones I've been playing all along.

I added all but one of the maps in Map Pack #1 which I downloaded yesterday, but they don't appear in the game menu. The list still ends with the last of the original maps. I've searched through all the game commands but can't find any way to unlock these new maps.

What's wrong??

--Mike (your neighborhood greenhorn)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »

When I run Windows I always unhide all file extensions (http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/security/trojanext.html). I could not use my system without it.

You can then see what all the files really are called (ie. pk3).

It might be annoying for some, so you might want to turn it hiding back on.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Mike Dolan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »

My problem is I STILL can't play the new maps!! What am I missing? The map files are where they should be, in baseoa. And the filename extensions are correct. But when I run the game and try to play the new maps I get nowhere!

Why are you guys keeping this such a secret?? Don't you want greenhorns like me to get in on the action? HEY, C'MON!! Open the door and let the new kid play!

--Mike
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:27:40 AM »

Why are you guys keeping this such a secret??

There is no secret... it should work

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 11:32:19 AM »

My problem is I STILL can't play the new maps!! What am I missing? The map files are where they should be, in baseoa. And the filename extensions are correct. But when I run the game and try to play the new maps I get nowhere!

Why are you guys keeping this such a secret?? Don't you want greenhorns like me to get in on the action? HEY, C'MON!! Open the door and let the new kid play!

--Mike

1) It is not a big secret, the installation instructions are attached to the post I made here (map_pack.txt [downloaded 7 times]) and that file is also included in the map-pack itself. Here is an extract from it:
Quote from: How To..
##################
INSTALLATION
##################

Simply extract the files ending with .pk3 into your /baseoa folder. If you are unsure how to do this, install an archiving program, such as 7zip (www.7-zip.org/), that can seamlessly integrate and associate with zip files on your system or consult the community for help. Then, open the compressed zip archive containing the maps and choose to extract the contents into your /baseoa directory.

For Windows(tm) users, your installation path is usually in C:\Program Files\Games\OpenArena\baseoa\, or something similar.
For *nix users, the corresponding location is normally found within ~/.openarena/baseoa/.
2) These people are really trying to help you and they have been providing alternative solutions and assistance so have some patience and appreciate the help you get. These map are not an official part of Open Arena, and never will be, so using them doesn't provide any guarantees that it will work but of course it is nice if it would work. Also, if you read this post, there are obviously some obscure engine bugs when it comes to loading some maps.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

Mike Dolan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:52:24 AM »

Thank you, Wizrd!

Sorry if I'm giving the wrong impression. But I get angry when I assume something's going to work the way I THOUGHT it would work, and it doesn't.

Since I posted my rant a while ago I've made some discoveries on my own.

Although the game won't play the new maps, or show them on its menu, I found that I CAN explore them with Skirmish, and even have some fun IF I add my own bots to the list. This for me is doing it the hard way . . . but it CAN be done.

My next assumption is that, once I conquer one of these new maps it MIGHT finally appear on the regular game list, where I can play it with the bots that the program would normally assign to it. Am I right?

--Mike
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »

Although the game won't play the new maps, or show them on its menu, I found that I CAN explore them with Skirmish, and even have some fun IF I add my own bots to the list. This for me is doing it the hard way . . . but it CAN be done.

Addon maps can usually only be selected in skirmish or Multiplayer.

I think there is another thread that provides a solution with the bots in skirmish but its not something everybody can do.

Mike Dolan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »

Well, Sago007, I'm good with that. I just played one of the new games in Skirmish on my older, slower machine, an '03 Gateway on which I can't play Cube at all. But I was there with this map on Open Arena, hunting and being hunted. WHAT FUN!!

So that's it, then . . . It looks like I'll be playing Skirmish most of the time!

--Mike
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 05:07:58 PM »

What about manually typing /map [map-name] and then add bots? Or am I sleep-walking again?

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 05:44:48 PM »

What about manually typing /map [map-name] and then add bots? Or am I sleep-walking again?
Well, yes
You can also write your own arena files, change the sourcecode etc.

Mike Dolan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 09:32:10 PM »

I've never written source code in my life! I'm a freelance fiction writer, a novelist. With Open Arena I'm just glad to be able to space out for a while with a little fast gameplay in some wide-open dreamworlds. So far "Dark Belvedere" is by far the best. But I haven't even open Map Packs 3, 4, or 5 yet!

The best way to learn how to do something on a computer, it turns out, is to just get in there, to dive in with both feet, and start splashing around. I'm developing a mental list of my favorite bots. And it doesn't take that long to flip through the thumbnails to find the map I want to play again.

Thanx for all the help, guys. Maybe pretty soon I'll be an expert at this, too!

--Mike
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: