Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CTF Maps?  (Read 17431 times)
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 02, 2007, 07:09:20 AM »

I noticed there weren't a lot of CTF maps for OpenArena, including the high-quality map pack.

Can anyone suggest a Quake 3 resource site that I can find high-quality CTF maps? I used to be a pretty hardcore Unreal Tournament addict, but after learning about OpenArena I've made the switch and haven't looked back... But the only thing I sorely miss are the vast number of great CTF levels.

Or, alternatively, can you tell me all your favorite CTF maps, and I can try to find somewhere to download them?

Thanks, you guys are awesome, Smiley
Kapow!
pullox
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 01:53:23 AM »

Hi coconut,

here is a list of the original quake 3 arena ctf maps: http://www.funender.com/quake/threewave/manual/overview/index.html with a good overview about the maparchitecture and itemplacements.

My personal favorits are: q3ctf2, q3ctf3, q3wctf1, q3wctf2 and q3wctf3 and some of the threewave expansion pack. I would be so happy to se some of these maps on OA servers. Most of the originial CTF maps in OA are in different reasons not so good. Because of the Spamfactor (OA_BASES3) or bad Itemplacement (OA_BASES5) or complete missing items like railgun or amor (OA_BASES3). And all the Spacemaps (but this is a personal reason) Smiley

HYDRONEX is a good map, but if there are good players in booth teams its nearly not possibel to get in the enemy base and out with the flag. just with a lot of luck and good teammates.

OSAGO2F2, CZEST2CTF and CZEST3CTF are good OA Maps for CTF. Good Itemplacement (Weapons, Amor, Health) and Maparchitecture with different ways/solutions for flagrunners.

greets,
pullox
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 02:15:48 AM by Frank » Logged
Gabuche
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:40:51 PM »

I supose we can play those QIII cft maps on server or local but OA can't not introduce them in a pk3...

Because of the gpl ??

I am think to set-up a web site of useful OA cft ressource pages, is it something people want to see ?

Thanks

Gabuche
pullox
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 04:52:02 AM »

I think its a problem with the license.
but some mappers do remakes of all the quake1 dm maps in OA, so why do not some of the original/threewave q3ctf maps? Smiley

greets,
pullox
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 05:47:24 AM »

but some mappers do remakes of all the quake1 dm maps in OA, so why do not some of the original/threewave q3ctf maps? Smiley

Because all of the Quake 1 maps (including dm7 and a small corner of what would have been dm8) were released on Quake's 10 year anniversary under the GPLv2.  Q3ctf maps are still available only under iD's non-free EULA, if you want that changed, please go whine to them because we can't do a damn thing about it.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 07:14:53 AM »

Because all of the Quake 1 maps (including dm7 and a small corner of what would have been dm8) were released on Quake's 10 year anniversary under the GPLv2. 

I think he referred to the complete remakes from here http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=860.0 that are build independently from the source.

After all OA contains some ish-maps too build from ground.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 07:43:35 AM »

Except that he said remakes of all the quake dm maps.  Actually I wish we could include the q3ctf maps because they are better than what we have currently, though I would rather have the mpteam maps, but we can't and there is no sense whining about it.

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 07:59:35 AM »

Except that he said remakes of all the quake dm maps.  Actually I wish we could include the q3ctf maps because they are better than what we have currently, though I would rather have the mpteam maps, but we can't and there is no sense whining about it.
Don't think he was whining about it, it was a mere question. Having some team maps would be a nice thing for OA since most CTF maps won't play well as TDM. The old Q1 maps DM2, DM3 does work however but I guess people want to see some space maps for it CTF style..

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 10:53:32 AM »

I think you misunderstood my comment about the whining, but I'm not going to whine about it.

Having some team maps would be a nice thing for OA since most CTF maps won't play well as TDM.

The larger DM maps do play well as team DM, so there shouldn't be a need for any larger dedicated non-base team DM maps.  The need for the next release is for team maps with bases otherwise the missionpack gametypes will be slightly dull.

pullox
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 05:05:22 AM »

I do not whining about this...
I was just wondering about all the remakes (quake1 maps and q3 spacectf map with littel differents to the originals) and I just ask for a posibillity to include some remakes of other ID/Threewave maps for CTF. no more, no less and it's not a reason to be pissed. I'm a gamer and not realy deep into EULA, Trademarks, Licenses and other important Stuff ... I'm sorry about this. ;-)
Apprentice
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 08:25:49 AM »

Hi!

I just test a server with some friends. There are CTF maps from the pack and some maps from other download recources. ( 11 new maps and OASAGO2F2 )
( I hope there is no licence conflict with this maps. I downloaded them from websites with free Q3 maps. )
So if you like download the maps from here:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/painland

Direct download from the server will took too long. So download them from the webpage first please!
Then watch out for the server Painland 666 Smiley
The server isnt constantly online. But last days i switched it on often.

But be warned! The bots there are VERY strong! ( Brainworks bots ) And i invited some very good player to play there.

Have fun and meet me there!

Apprentice

P.S.
Didn't see you for a long time pullox!
Hope to play again with you soon.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:19:47 AM by Apprentice » Logged
Dayz
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »

There is a CTF map in my pack, it's posted in another forum thread. Please reply to the post on that thread with feedback. The pack will be released under GPLv2 when I find all of the original source material (old map files).
Getcha Getcha Frag On
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: