Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some missing medal replacements  (Read 30754 times)
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 05, 2007, 11:12:36 PM »

I made some replacements for the missing medal_frags and medal_victory.

I'm attaching the files separately also, so they are easier to see.

BTW, the forums don't allow the .pk3 or .svg, .svgz extension for attachments, so rename them and remove the .zip.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:00:26 PM by De@thByBl@st » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:23:42 AM »

Did you draw these yourself from scratch? That skull looks familiar......

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:04:23 PM »

Did you draw these yourself from scratch? That skull looks familiar......

It's all original material, per say, though the skull was somewhat derived from a public domain clipart version, it is very different from that version however as considerable changes were made, not that it matters much, since it was freely available for any use and medal_frags is very similar to the original Q3, as in red, with skull and crossbones and a circle, but obviously different, my skull is not the same as any other out there that I've seen, the circle is not as thick and my crossbones are higher than the original Q3 image and cross through the skull, rather than lying under it.

In both cases I had the opportunity to compare to the Q3 originals and tried to keep the same spirit of those, per say, though they are obviously different images.

In short, yes, it's all clean and fully GPL compliant, hence the license, else it would have been pointless, so you can always count on that. Frankly, I wouldn't waste my time otherwise, today, tomorrow or next week.....

I'm a Linux user myself, so I understand the need for GPL compliant content.

So, enjoy.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:13:37 PM »

svg?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 02:41:02 AM »

svg?

Where does that fit into things?

I'm a little slow this early in the morning.

I used The Gimp for making those, which apparently doesn't support svg, I do have the medal_frags without the circle in a larger png, the other I would have to remake though.

As they are already the same size as the others, I'm not sure what your asking for or why to be perfectly honest, is svg really needed?

Sorry, I'm clueless here.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 03:02:36 AM by De@thByBl@st » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:16:46 AM »

There is a GIMP plugin that handles svg, look for gimp-svg in your distro's repositories.

De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »

There is a GIMP plugin that handles svg, look for gimp-svg in your distro's repositories.

*NOD*

Will, do.

EDIT: I can't seem to find svg for gimp in the Fedora core 6 repo. Sad

Now can someone clue me in to the purpose here?

Does the game actually use SVGs for these somehow?

If so where are they located for packaging?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 12:15:10 AM by De@thByBl@st » Logged
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 03:57:57 AM »

the game doesn't use svgs, but they are useful. if you decide in future that you want to pack a bit more resolution into a game you don't have to redo all your logos, you just load up your svgs and export some bigger images.

if you are interested in working with svgs then you might consider learning to use inkscape, which is a gpl vector graphics editor. it's a really nice program to work with.
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 04:38:35 AM »

OIC, I never really think about that when I'm working, I just try to get the image to spec, I don't spend too much time thinking about the future and when I do I use PNG mostly, perhaps I will try again soon and do the whole nine yards with some remakes of these.

I may give Inkscape a try if I can't get SVG working under The Gimp.

Does SVG scale up any better than PNG?

If not and since there or no royalty-bearing patents on either why SVG?

I'm a bit shocked that from searching the wiki Inkscape doesn't seem to support PNG yet and they seem to be more concerned with implementing support certain proprietary file formats.

Another question, does the engine support PNG?

SOMEWHAT OFF TOPIC: (Yet  perhaps somewhat relevant)

I also know that IE has always had poor support for PNG, which supposedly was going to change with IE 7 (Only available for Vista BTW, so that's not real helpful until XP and 2000 reach their EOL), what's the status of SVG in IE, do you know?

Just looking at all angles here and in case you haven't guessed, this is my first time hearing about SVG. Wink

Unless Inkscape will import PNG, then SVG isn't going to happen, since I can't get The Gimp to export to SVG with the only script I could locate svg-path-export.scm. In which case the best I can do is PNG I guess, unless The Gimp supports something better that I'm not aware of.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Anyway, I updated my original post with some newer files and included the PNGs.

This time they are 128x128, I didn't notice that OA wasn't using the same size as Q3, so the first ones were 64x64, but it's fixed now.

BTW, a little explanation of medal_victory:

Now, that the player has faced the dragon (their enemy) and won, they have achieved peace, hence the olive branches and created unity among the opposites, hence the Taijitu (traditional symbol representing the forces of yin and yang).

Hope you find them useful.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:10:55 PM by De@thByBl@st » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »

0.7 doesn't.  0.8 will.  Targa's seem to load quicker, though.

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 03:44:13 PM »

svg stands for scalable vector graphics. they are based on bezier curves, not pixels, so they are infinitely scalable. you can export an svg to any size you want and it will always look perfect.

so yes, they do scale better than png.  Smiley
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 01:34:06 AM »

0.7 doesn't.  0.8 will.  Targa's seem to load quicker, though.

I wonder by how much and what utilities could be used as a benchmark, as well as the compression level of the PNG in any data available.

It appears from my search that TGA is owned privately and is most likely patented, so that would be one pro for PNG.

svg stands for scalable vector graphics. they are based on bezier curves, not pixels, so they are infinitely scalable. you can export an svg to any size you want and it will always look perfect.

so yes, they do scale better than png.  Smiley

I'm not seeing it that way, I imported them into Inkscape and saved them, then I took them and exported them back to PNG, only much larger (1075x1075), which seems to be the whole point being raved about SVG, and frankly, they look like crap after opening them back up in The Gimp. So, other than being more of a hasle, I'm just not seeing the point to SVG at the moment.

The question in my mind is if they are the kind of quality your seeking or am I wasting my time?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:03:58 PM by De@thByBl@st » Logged
enki
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 02:11:15 AM »

It looks bad because you use it the wrong way. When you import a bitmap image, it is not converted to vector by inkscape, it is still a bitmap.
To convert it , you have to use menu> path > vectorize bitmap (might under be a different name, I dont have the english version).
Bitmaps are not really made to be converted to vector, you may have to tweak the settings to get something that looks like your original file (but for an image like yours, it should be easy).

ps: I can't see the image in the svg, it is empty, I guess the image was just linked to the bitmap on your hd, not really inside the file.
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 04:38:30 AM »

SVG is for the cool
it scale up better than any other format Tongue
-the green one is a little bit complex
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 08:52:54 AM »

It appears from my search that TGA is owned privately and is most likely patented, so that would be one pro for PNG.

Oh please, if it is patented it is not being pursued, much like the jpeg compression patents. 

PNG has a place in history for allowing us to freely design a website with embedded images that wouldn't get us sued, but as an image format it has its limits and isn't really the best choice of image formats for 8 bit per channel images as you won't notice an increase in texture quality but you will notice an increase in file size.

De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 06:30:37 PM »

Attached new pk3 and svgzs to my original post, hopefully everything is good this time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:03:28 PM by De@thByBl@st » Logged
pharo212
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 04:56:03 PM »

So I just rename and drop 'em in the baseoa?
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »

So......

Are these ever going to be included?

Thanks
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 08:42:36 PM »

The leader hasn't been around much recently.
Your best bet is to attach your PK3 to the "SVN Commits" thread.
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 04:11:40 AM »

Well, so far four attempts and no success, I keep getting:

"An Error Has Occurred!
You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 04:28:37 AM »

So......

Thanks

Just remove the .zip and place with your other .pk3s.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 05:59:12 AM »

Attaching won't work ATM. Your best bet can be to upload it to another server. (DD preferably)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: