Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: texture help  (Read 33595 times)
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 08, 2007, 11:07:03 PM »

I know I'm still a noob in this modding business, but I really need help.
I've been using OA to test this weapon model, and the model seems to work.
But after I UV mapped it and made a texture, the texture doesn't show up AND the muzzle flash is in the wrong place. Why do you think this happens? I really need help, thanks

note that I use blender for making models, UV mapping with blender and exporting the tga UV map with lithunwrap (and yes the texture shows up in lithunwrap). Also, the UV mapping isn't finished, I only finished a bit just to test the texture.....

PS: I'm not sure where to put this post, so I just put it here, soz
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 12:51:53 AM by jonc » Logged
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 02:05:28 AM »

I know I'm still a noob in this modding business, but I really need help.
I've been using OA to test this weapon model, and the model seems to work.
But after I UV mapped it and made a texture, the texture doesn't show up AND the muzzle flash is in the wrong place. Why do you think this happens? I really need help, thanks

note that I use blender for making models, UV mapping with blender and exporting the tga UV map with lithunwrap (and yes the texture shows up in lithunwrap). Also, the UV mapping isn't finished, I only finished a bit just to test the texture.....

PS: I'm not sure where to put this post, so I just put it here, soz

Disclaimer:

I'm a modeling noob myself, though I have dabbled.

You might try Misfit Model 3D, make sure your paths are correct, they should be based from inside of baseoa, I think, and I believe you'll need to add a tag for the muzzle flash.

Sorry I don't have more on the tag thing, but if you can't find or get the info I can look around some more when I have time.

Yes, I agree they could use a modeling forum perhaps, though I don't know how many are interested in modeling for OA or it's mods or how helpful it will be.
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 03:29:23 AM »

hi jonc,

if you check out this thread, Czestmyr gives a good explanation about editing your md3 to work with the games file system.

the other thing to ensure is that your model is skinned with either a jpg or a tga image.
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 07:54:04 AM »

Thanks for the help, but I can't find the xreal svn from this thread: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=184.0
and yes I made my texture either tga or jpg (i made it a tga....)

And I have tags (they came from the old OA model, and it worked when I haven't done the uv mapping.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 07:57:52 AM by jonc » Logged
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »

okay i THOUGHT i could fix the texture (I forgot to import it into blender) but for some reason it didn't work, and instead the MUZZLE FLASH works now....well at least thats partly good...
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 09:24:07 AM »

if you are going to use Blender to export an md3 you should be using these scripts unless f0rqu3 has a newer version. 

note - they are somewhat insecure as there is no limit to the amount of characters that can be embedded within the model's meta data when the model format only supports 63 characters
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:35:35 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:59:52 PM »

It's been awhile for me, but I quickly got disappointed in Blender because the md3 export under Linux simply didn't work and that was and is the only need I have for a modeling program, so I started using Misfit Model 3D and the developer on that project  does a good job fixing reported bugs as well as implementing reasonable request for features and file support, though I imagine he could use some help on the latter.

Hence, It doesn't surprise me that your having difficulty with Blender and md3 and from here I really can't say if it's you or it, if I had to place a wager though it would be on Blender.
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 06:18:55 PM »

it actually works https://tremx.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tremx/trunk/blender/
md3_shared is also needed
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:20:50 PM by fork » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 06:34:06 PM »

my only problem with it is the weird exporting with modifiers (mirrored and edgesplit in particular) and sometimes it exports with very weird normals that cause the model to look flat shaded making me import and export them again

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 06:37:07 PM »

md3_shared is also needed

oops.

jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 03:55:15 AM »

It's been awhile for me, but I quickly got disappointed in Blender because the md3 export under Linux simply didn't work and that was and is the only need I have for a modeling program, so I started using Misfit Model 3D and the developer on that project  does a good job fixing reported bugs as well as implementing reasonable request for features and file support, though I imagine he could use some help on the latter.

Hence, It doesn't surprise me that your having difficulty with Blender and md3 and from here I really can't say if it's you or it, if I had to place a wager though it would be on Blender.

Didn't the OpenArena guys use Blender?

EDIT: sorry for saying 'OpenArena guys'....well to me it sounds a bit disrespectful....

Anyway, I still dunno why the goddamn textures don't work. I mean, the textures show up in Lithunwrap and Blender, why shouldn't it show up in OA?(repeating myself) If someone wants to help I'll post the model if they want..... (and yeah the model kinda sucks)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:29:37 AM by jonc » Logged
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 06:41:45 AM »

if you could post the model and the skin in the pk3 that you are using in the game that would be good. i'll take a look at it for you.

if you're not sure how to host the file you can use a website like mediafire and then copy and paste the download page's address here.
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 07:11:07 AM »

Don't worry I think I know how to host it

Thanks Hyperfocus
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 09:01:21 AM »

hello? any help please??
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »

jonc, i downloaded the zip file and here is what i found inside...

2muzzley.tga
bleurchrome.tga
bluechrome.tga
blueechrome.tga
flare.tga
f_machinegun.jpg
machinegun_barrel.md3
machinegun_flash_1.md3
machinegun_flash.md3
machinegun_hand.md3
machinegun.md3
mgun.tga
muzzley.tga
muzzlside.tga
newdualiesmgwip.blend
newdualiesmgwip.blend1
newdualiesmgwip.blend.md3
sillychrome.tga
woodspec.tga

...this won't work with openarena because a)it's not a pk3 file and b)it's not in the file structure that openarena uses.

your work needs to be in a pk3, which is basically a zip file that you rename with the extension .pk3 and inside it you need to use the same file structure that openarena uses. so inside your pk3 would be the file structure models/weapons2/machinegun and your models and skins would be in there. you'd also need to edit the md3s with a hex editor so that when it refers to the tga files it uses the correct files structure like models/weapons2/machinegun/muzzlside.tga.

hope that helps.

jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 09:27:42 AM »

no no, sorry, that is one of the FOLDERS inside the pk3 file, hyperfocus.
i thought the pk3 file would be too large, so i extracted the folder out for download
and the folder 'machinegun' is in models/weapons2/
sorry about the misunderstanding

EDIT: basically, I made my own md3 files and put them in 'machinegun' (in the pk3)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:29:18 AM by jonc » Logged
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »

aah, i see.

ok, i opened up your machinegun.md3 with a hex editor and scroll through looking for the line that refers to the texture that it uses. i a chunk that looked like this...

.@...C...C:/Progr
am Files\Openaren
a\mymod\pak0\mode
ls\weapons2\machi
negun.......?.{(?

if this is the texture line then there are a couple of problems. firstly the texture for the machine gun is called mgun not machinegun. secondly it's telling the game to look in the folder C:/Program Files....etc for the texture and openarena doesn't have any files of that name. what i suggest you do is overwrite that part with the correct folder structure. like so...

.@...C...models\w
eapons2\mgun.tga.
............?.{(?

...note that the file path starts where the old one does and overwrite the excess letters of the old address with dots.

one other thing of note. your mgun.tga is a blank orange texture, was that intentional?
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 09:56:20 AM »

wow thanks! (well I haven't tried out that hex editor thing yet, but I'm pretty sure you're right....)
and yeah, the bring orange texture was intentional, it was just a test texture....

EDIT: by the way, what hex editor are you using? I think my hex editor is a bit screwed up. and I'm currently using Windows
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »

Something that might help is this.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »

yet another thought. you say you were worried your pk3 would be too large. your pk3 should only contain the bits you are changing, so it would be almost exactly the same size as the zip you posted.

this makes me wonder if you've pulled apart pak0.pk3, changed some of it's contents and are planning to put it all back into a new pak0.pk3. it's a bad move to alter the games pk3 files (pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3 etc). you must leave them alone and put your work in a new pk3.

when the game reads pk3s it does it in alphabetical order, so if you give your pk3 a name that is later in the alphabet than pak0.pk3, then it's contents will override the same files in pak0.pk3. so you could call yours x-jonc-mg.pk3 and that would do the trick.
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »

Something that might help is this.
thanks

yet another thought. you say you were worried your pk3 would be too large. your pk3 should only contain the bits you are changing, so it would be almost exactly the same size as the zip you posted.

this makes me wonder if you've pulled apart pak0.pk3, changed some of it's contents and are planning to put it all back into a new pak0.pk3. it's a bad move to alter the games pk3 files (pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3 etc). you must leave them alone and put your work in a new pk3.

when the game reads pk3s it does it in alphabetical order, so if you give your pk3 a name that is later in the alphabet than pak0.pk3, then it's contents will override the same files in pak0.pk3. so you could call yours x-jonc-mg.pk3 and that would do the trick.

but i copied the original game files (pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3 etc) into a mymod folder. And then when launching OA I use the mod mymod, so isnt that okay?
anyway, I will try to make the new pk3
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 10:15:30 AM »

if it's in a mod folder then that shouldn't cause a problem, but pk3s in a mod folder only need to contain stuff that's changed from the original game. it makes it a lot easier to share your work with other's if you keep your pk3s no larger than they need to be.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:17:14 AM by hyp3rfocus » Logged
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »

ahh....but yet the texture problem still persists.....do you think different hex editors have different results?
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 10:23:09 AM »

it could be that you didn't uvmap it correctly or export it right. that line in your md3 didn't refer to mgun.tga, it refered to machinegun and there is no texture of that name. could be something you did in the 3d editor.
jonc
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 10:25:12 AM »

hmmm......
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: