Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to learn how to play.  (Read 16224 times)
rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« on: September 10, 2007, 07:40:32 PM »

I want to learn everything.  Where the powerups and weapons are on all the maps, weapon respawns, strategies, alternate routes for ctf, ect.  If someone want to help post.

TheWorstOAPlayer aka RashDawg
digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:53:25 PM »

To learn more about the game, 2 options...

1) Play and experience
2) Read the wiki (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page then play and experience.

DH

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 02:59:56 AM »

The only way to do that is play the game and learn with experience.

What tactics work with one group of players doesn't necessarily mean it will work with another group. Its all about learning what other players would do, and countering it. Smiley
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:12:09 AM »

I want to learn everything.  Where the powerups and weapons are on all the maps, weapon respawns, strategies, alternate routes for ctf, ect.  If someone want to help post.
Having knowledge of the maps and weapon locations is what usually gives you a strategic advantage in any scenario. By learning what alternative routes to take in order to get to a certain objective is usually the difference between a win and a loss. The best way to learn this is by experience.
There are however some useful tricks on each and every map, that will get you to your designated target quicker, be it rocketlauncher or health. I am currently in the process of writing guides with these sort of tricks for standard maps, if you are interested you can join our IRC channel or visit our website for more info.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:49:45 AM »

Ive never used IRC how would i get in it and what is your channel IP.

digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:52:58 AM »

The Official OA IRC server is irc.anynet.org then use /join openarena

A good IRC client is XChat. It's available for Windows at http://www.silverex.org/news/ and for Linux at http://www.xchat.org/ , but if you're using Linux, it's probably either already installed or in the respective repository.

DH

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
.Caboose.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 11:02:22 AM »

hello rashdawg. give me the time u play and ill teach you some stuff. it's not onpar with whta wiz will teach, but i think you should know alot of whta i have to show even b4 you go to wiz
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 01:47:57 PM »

hello rashdawg. give me the time u play and ill teach you some stuff. it's not onpar with whta wiz will teach, but i think you should know alot of whta i have to show even b4 you go to wiz
haha, it's not like I am some Yoda in teaching people, even though many have called me that Smiley
I wasn't referring to teaching tricks as in trickjumping, I was referring to the tutorials I've written on how to rocketjump, plasmaclimb and so on, that he could read before trying it in game and also watch the recorded videos.

rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 04:51:44 PM »

well the time i can play varies.  I am very busy this week, but am usually on around 6:30 or 7:00 Central time.

Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 10:42:42 PM »

all you need to know is how to strafe jump...

thats it...

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 03:36:39 AM »

all you need to know is how to strafe jump...

thats it...
You don't find plasmaclimbing to Quad via railgun from bottom of the corridor in kaos2 useful? Not to mention rocketjumping in oa_shine to get perfect position. How about doing a circle jump on dm4ish to reach the quad directly from spawn? Tricks are useful in the game, it's just a matter of being creative and finding where to perform them and what technique to use Wink

Apprentice
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 04:30:08 AM »

You don't find plasmaclimbing to Quad via railgun from bottom of the corridor in kaos2 useful? Not to mention rocketjumping in oa_shine to get perfect position. How about doing a circle jump on dm4ish to reach the quad directly from spawn? Tricks are useful in the game, it's just a matter of being creative and finding where to perform them and what technique to use Wink

Hi!

W1zrd is right!!!
My advice to you is: Join rainbow defrag server! You dont learn to fight there but many tricks witch are also useful in gameplay.
You will meet many friendly people there, like w1zrd Smiley, witch teach you things and help you to become also a better player.

Apprentice

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 06:06:28 AM »

Hi!
W1zrd is right!!!
My advice to you is: Join rainbow defrag server! You dont learn to fight there but many tricks witch are also useful in gameplay.
You will meet many friendly people there, like w1zrd Smiley, witch teach you things and help you to become also a better player.

Apprentice
One of the basic, and most fundamental rules, that apply to all the rainbow servers is that we respect each other while playing. This is the reason why we generally have nice people and our admins the power to kick troublemakers out. And by the way Apprentice, I am not making you a better player, I am simply showing you the techniques to use; you are the one doing the job of improving yourself.

rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 04:56:36 PM »

Yeah I know how to strafe jump.  I used to play a game built with the Quake 3 engine.  I'll see if I can play in the defrag server, but I dont think it comes up on mine for some reason.  It could be my firewall.  Ill try messin with that. 

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 01:46:50 PM »

Yeah I know how to strafe jump.  I used to play a game built with the Quake 3 engine.  I'll see if I can play in the defrag server, but I dont think it comes up on mine for some reason.  It could be my firewall.  Ill try messin with that. 
Does it still not show?
I've been seeing you there a few times (and hopefully taught you something) but is it now visible in the list for you?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: