Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Three maps  (Read 12951 times)
Dave
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 17, 2007, 02:56:25 PM »

Ok, here are three .map files zipped into dave.zip.  These are my third, forth and fifth map I've created for Open Arena. 

All maps (.map files) are licensed GPLv2.  The textures used are not my creation and are not included in this zip file.  If you have Open Arena installed, they should be available when compiling the maps.  They came with Open Arena and are owned by their owners and follow their licensing choices.

All maps where created to play with co-workers during lunch so the maps support I would say 2-10 players.  Ten players may be tight for "Castle".

All maps were created symetrical in style and item placement for an even flow throughout the map and help prevent heavily camped spots.  In future maps I will look at creating different type layouts rather than complete symetrical type arenas.

Maps:

* Castle.map (Inspiration: Nothing):  This was my third try at a map.  This is probably my co-workers (and my) favorite.

* Tomb.map (Inspiration: Ancient Egyptian tombs): This was my forth try.  The large room I like exactly the way it is, but the smaller room with the crossing catwalks needs some work.  I'm looking at options for increasing the playability within that room now. All doorways are actually teleports to other doorways.

* Colosseum.map (Inspiration: The Roman Colosseum): This map was my fifth map and currently the one I'm working on still.  As noted, it was inspired by the Roman Colosseum. (I visited Rome recently)  I didn't want to recreate the Colosseum, but wanted to incorporate many of it's features.  For instance, the main arena with the grandstands.  The platforms that raise you from below into the arena, and the hallways around the main arena.  As for the obelisk in the center.  It's because I like obelisks.  It would probably fit better on the Tomb map, but... whatever.  Oh, and my first work with curves.  The roof of the arena looks like the top of a circus tent!

Anyway, I'm learning to add detail to maps now, and I'm looking into doing that to all the maps.  Look at them, play them and let me know what you think! 

Dave
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:15:07 PM »

I just noticed that Castle has a brick block sitting in the middle of the map.  I was doing some reworking of the stair cases and was using that block to cut away parts of the stairs.  I forgot to delete it before uploading the zip. Sad
Dave
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:08:45 AM »

I've attempted to take screenshots (F11) and it says it writes them to screenshots/filename.tga, but that doesn't exist and after searching the entire hard drive it just doesn't exist.  I created openarean/screenshots in hopes that it was just failing because there was no screenshots directory, but alas that doesn't work either. 

Anyone know how to or where to get the screenshots after taking them?

Thanks
Derity
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »

normally the screenshots are saved in the hidden dir  ~/.openarena/baseoa/screenshots (linux)
or in the dir of the mod you are using
Dave
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »

The box I'm developing on is Windows.   No idea where it appears under Windows?  All I have here is Linux servers and I won't be loading OA on those.  I guess I will just send the pk3 file home and take the screenshots there.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »

documents and settings/application data/openarena

and you'll find them in there. in some subfolders

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Dave
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 09:36:35 AM »

Thanks, stupid Windows search could not locate them in there. 

Here are some screenshots.  A few shots appear darker in these pictures than they do while playing.

Castle:

Tomb:

Colosseum:

I guess that last screenshot gave away my OA player name.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:41:08 AM by Dave » Logged
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »

Looks like you are making some progress with mapping. A good tip, which sounds easy but is hard to follow up on is to avoid large flat areas which simply makes the environment look dull and boring.
Add some depth, height and angles to your walls, floors e.t.c, then use different textures for different sections, it will make a big difference.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

Dave
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:37:03 PM »

Looks like you are making some progress with mapping. A good tip, which sounds easy but is hard to follow up on is to avoid large flat areas which simply makes the environment look dull and boring.
Add some depth, height and angles to your walls, floors e.t.c, then use different textures for different sections, it will make a big difference.

Great advise, I see what you mean.  One of my biggest problems is having textures to use and that work with each other.  At this point I'm limited to existing textures as I haven't learned to create them yet.   I will look at FX Gen when I get a chance.

I downloaded Blender and took a brief look at it.  It appears it will be a steep learning curve.  I at least had some experience in map creation from my Doom days which started coming back to me quickly.  I will probably put models on the back burner for now as I still have so much to learn just using GtkRadiant.

Question, I've learned to use the patch to create a curve.  I'm unclear how to create brushes with curves like doorways, domes, etc.  I can create a cone or something but I have real trouble actually manipulating it.  I cannot even use the Subtraction tool with a cylinder to cut out a curved doorway...
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 12:47:44 PM »

Question, I've learned to use the patch to create a curve.  I'm unclear how to create brushes with curves like doorways, domes, etc.  I can create a cone or something but I have real trouble actually manipulating it.  I cannot even use the Subtraction tool with a cylinder to cut out a curved doorway...

Tutorial 2 on http://www.leveldk.co.uk/tutindex.htm will teach you. It is using version 1.4 of the editor but it teaches the basics.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »

When you make curves you need to remember that they are not treated as solids and only visible from one side. CTRL+I will invert selection and show the other side of the face, duplicate two bevels and you'll have a good start for a arched doorway when mirrored against each other.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 02:27:06 PM »

Increasing the textures size will help reduce tiling. Only slightly tho, and you need to try and keep a balance between a reasonable size & the texture quality degrading.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: