Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: licensing question, to use Openarena logo  (Read 5252 times)
ailmanki
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 26, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Openarena-logo.svg
can this image be used, on a webpage associated to Openarena? (Page providing download of oa, and infos about the server running it)
As far as I understood I can, but I need to place somewhere the gpl info?
On this wiki page, the license seems defined, but I dont understand it. My native language is german, maybe cause of that (but allready in german its often very difficult to understand these licenses.)

Ehm I suppose the answer is pretty clear for many, well I am now totally confused. Its for me first time trying to understand this all, I looked for Internet pages explaining what is allowed what not, but I coulnt find much beside ethical discussions about it.
Please if there is some manual to read Smiley , I would like to rtfm ...

this licensing makes me headache.. its complicated to know what is allowed & what not.

edit: I want to use it as background on the website, and a smaller version as favicon.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:50 PM »

As far as I'm aware even the logotype should be GPL:ed, it was made by someone from quakesrc iirc for the OA project.
However, I believe that leileilol found some company using the same logo as Open Arena, maybe that's why it has to say:
== Summary == OpenArena (GPL game) logo. == Licensing == {{Non-free logo}}
on the wiki? I wouldn't know, just speculating..

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 02:24:25 AM »

actually licensing can be pretty complicated...

for this logo it appears it's classic copyright (=you have to ask the author for permission to use it) from what the wiki tells.

apart from that:
Content from the OpenArena game is completely GPL (a free licence). If you want to use any of that content on a website you should note in your credits page (impressum) from where you got it (link to official OA-Website) and what licence it is (link to GPL licence text).

"We are all connected"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: