Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crashing to Windowed Mode  (Read 5165 times)
pythonusr
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 21, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »

I'll just be randomly playing OpenArena (local game) and it'll crash to the windowed mode, forcing me to use CTRL+ALT+F2 and use sudo reboot to reboot the computer.

I realize there's a "fix" online, which was to alt+tab to the window and bring up the console, but I can't even alt+tab to the window, much less open the console.

How can I fix this?

EDIT: Ubuntu Linux 7.10
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:47:23 AM by pythonusr » Logged
compugeek32
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 01:01:34 AM »

Here's a workaround that I use to avoid that issue with OpenArena and other fullscreen games on Ubuntu 7.10:

Right-click on your desktop background and click Change Desktop Background.
Go to the Visual Effects tab and select None.

This workaround turns off all desktop effects, but at least prevents OpenArena from going to windowed mode in such a way

============
EDIT (02.07.2008): I figured out myself that the effects weren't the actual cause.

If you have your screensaver set to run after being "idle" (or in this case, Playing OpenArena) for a certain amount of time, the screensaver will run, bringing OpenArena down to windowed mode

Try disabling your screensaver by going to System > Preferences > screensaver and uncheck "Activate screensaver when computer is idle" and see if that takes care of your problem. It worked for me
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:33:43 PM by compugeek32 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: