Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help  (Read 59465 times)
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2008, 03:53:33 AM »

In response to the newb/noob, with a funny comic!

<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »

LOL!!!
Thanks a lot for that Kit89.. Cheesy

And RAZ3R can u explain me how is it possible to cheat in a pure server... I didnt know its possible.. Sad

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »

without risking revealing too much, aimbots and general memory manipulation hacks are still possible on pure servers. all a "pure" server does is check to see wether or not you have the same packs as the server, and boots you if stuff doesnt match. it stops people from manipulating say... pak0.pk3 (as an example) but wont stop people from doing other things (such as aimbotting or manipulating the client itself) to cheat. there is honestly no valid reason NOT to have a pure server, since people can still have 3rd party pak files, they will just be ignored on that particular server. watch the console when you connect to a "pure" server, you will see a lot of "not on the pure list" warnings but you can still connect since the files the server does have listed (by listed it really means the server actually has it) are the same as your client files.

as for camping, i always run into the "noob" campers. camping the armor/health is ok in my book so long as you are only firing upon people in self defense when they get too close or are firing upon you. in most cases i just run into people who instantly hide out wherever the rail or rockets are and only leave that spot when i kill them. a prime example is the rocket room in OA_DM1, as there is almost always some foreigner (again, usually polish) rocket spam camping in the rocket room. they arent going in there to get the rockets then leave, they just sit there firing rockets indefinitely even if nobody is there just because their ammo is pretty much infinite, killing anyone who even thinks about going near that room or the hallway. also doesnt help that there is a hole in the floor there, so they are also camping the room below it. nothing some good armor and skillful strafe jumping cant fix, but still. ah well, thats why that map was never duplicated in Q2 or Q3 i guess.
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2008, 11:29:58 AM »

Pika beat me to it but this is what I understand, although it may not be fully accurate Cheesy

====
 I thought he was suggesting you can bypass pure. But he was referring to cheats in the game. I think pure is mainly for mod files, making sure you have same files as server. But cheats can be settings, and pure is configured to check only what you want it to check, which is usually your mods and stuff (The mod base folder).

Actually pure isnt really about cheat detection, it restricts you changing files. So instead you get a choice to add  changes and let people have the option. 

Another thing to note is don't suggest people cheat or even if you think it's suspect.. its best to give them the benefit of the doubt. Many people know how to configure the game better. They might have an advantage, it's up to you if you want to learn and do the same, or just mess around and have fun. For newer players, sound is probably much more important than what you think. It's common to kill players you dont see on your screen yet using sound.

Some cheats are easy to spot and you can have  a good laugh if you record a demo - which you should do before you suspect anyone of cheating. http://youtube.com/watch?v=8UraH2-9B1o

Even on servers without cheat protection, you will rarely get people cheating... they are usually used to annoy clans who have a problem with another, or some childish exchange between individuals. The saddest cases are the ones who want to be part of a clan and are told they are not good enough. When clan members get caught cheating then the clan have someone who have totally discredited their name, hopefully not many people do that especially since they may become friends with members.

Most often they are isolated cases, they use different names all the time, they have lots of bans, they usually do not talk to anybody, they don't have any respect for themselves never mind others. they sometimes will change names and have confusing names to make it more difficult to be kicked again and again. If people dont seem to miss a shot.. like 100% accuracy then sometimes they will have a bind forced when they kill, or use taunt after every kill. This is something the people who code the cheat add because they dont like people cheating either, they just want to prove they can hack the system.

More importantly, think of someone who has an identity and has become a good player because they hate getting beat. Well if that player were tempted to use cheats then there is a good chance he will get caught, no matter how careful they are. They no longer have an identity, just an embarrasment and can't use that same name again. Very few will  become angry/disturbed  using cheats and have no fun or any competition knowing any win is fantasy.

Even though a player may seem like lightyears better than you, it can often be a couple of simple things that make the difference. I cant even aim at a side of a way without missing yet I can sometimes compete against alot of skilled players using all sorts of stuff like zoom and config hacks.

It's good tactics to frustrate them. For eg. Dont let them camp you, Camp them back.  Smiley Then their game plan is falling apart maybe without firing a shot, it's less predictable so they might take a gamble or you suddenly find yourself behind them, and can hit them in the back using the saw thing.  Smiley
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »

In response to the newb/noob, with a funny comic!

hehe... lol nice 1 Wink

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2008, 02:41:11 PM »

generally the best tactic against campers is not to camp, but to simply kill them every time you run into their camping spot on your route. there is really little need to completely change your tactics, just gotta alter them slightly to compensate for the camper's frag whoring.  on a normal DM without campers i play rather relaxed and try to keep the game close, but if a camper is playing i purposely bump up the intensity just to get them to leave after a few maps of me beating them by a mile, with the unfortunate side effect of making others leave Sad

as for cheating, there is a time and place for that and its not DM or team matches. im not really advocating this, but the only place i can see to be legit would be the defrag mod on your own server and only if you are playing around amongst friends. generally with defrag most of the maps are either freestyle or pad jumps, so you are only really hurting yourself anyway if you cheat. most cheaters are attention whores unfortunately, so they dont bother following this advice. really the same thing with campers actually, attention whores who think having the most frags == credibility.

RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »

Cheating is most definitley NOT acceptable in defrag, the defrag community is a reasonable size and very competitive, if anything it's more acceptable to cheat in a random dm game =).

TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »

more acceptable to cheat in a random dm game =).
yepe...its not noticable but i'm not a cheater
cheating...is just dumb spoils the game espically on online play

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »

see, thats why i suggested people do it on their own server. cheating on public servers is never acceptable reguardless of mod.
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »

Cheating is most definitley NOT acceptable in defrag, the defrag community is a reasonable size and very competitive, if anything it's more acceptable to cheat in a random dm game =).
I saw a guy who used an aimbot in defrag, he got like top score

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »

im not sure how you could use an aimbot in defrag to get a high score, mind enlightening me?
the most i have seen as far as defrag cheating goes are auto-move scripts that point your plasma gun in the right angle for plasma climbing automatically or automatically pointing the rocket gun down for rocket jumps.
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »

im not sure how you could use an aimbot in defrag to get a high score, mind enlightening me?
the most i have seen as far as defrag cheating goes are auto-move scripts that point your plasma gun in the right angle for plasma climbing automatically or automatically pointing the rocket gun down for rocket jumps.

Thanks for that, I was thinking "who wants to use an aimbot in defrag my f** God?"
That has no sense..!
And also when u play in defrag there are no scores, or maybe ur calling "scores" to the "best time"??
Sad sigh..

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »

ya, the only "score" in defrag is the speed. ive seen some really insane speeds on a few servers in the 80,000+ range, but its not really anything special to be the fastest person. defrag isnt about speed as much as it is finesse and bragging rights anyway.
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »

ffs.. is it got that serious that noone recognises a bit of humour? Well I thought it was funny Cheesy
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2008, 07:06:08 PM »

the internet = SERIOUS BUSINESS.
Lemonzest
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »

ITS OK, LEARN TO PLAY!!!
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 04:08:59 AM »

Good news for us Aussies! The GameArena folks just replied to my support request and the problem of the server hanging at the end of certain maps (especially OA_RPG3DM2) should be fixed now.

It's also cool that they have already upgraded to 0.7.6.
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 04:18:09 AM »

Good news for us Aussies! The GameArena folks just replied to my support request and the problem of the server hanging at the end of certain maps (especially OA_RPG3DM2) should be fixed now.
YES! finally!!!!

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »

I saw a guy who used an aimbot in defrag, he got like top score

It's not aimbot, it's scripts. They help you do the hardest moves with only a button or key press. In the Defrag community it seems it's not considered cheating, but rather a tool that everybody can have or even make. I don't like those practices, for me Defrag is about skills, not scripting the craziest code. That's why I don't play Defrag anymore.
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2008, 08:23:05 PM »

Scripts are concidered cheating in defrag competitions.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2008, 06:43:35 AM »

Scripts are concidered cheating in defrag competitions.

Oh, it's good news Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: