Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Vista premium 64bit  (Read 11683 times)
Tindog
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 31, 2008, 01:21:55 AM »

Hi, everyone. Having issues getting the game to run. I've manually installed the files to C:\Program Files (x86)\openarena-0.8.0 and the game runs fine in single player mode. When I try to join a server and once I have  joined the game, Open Arena closes itself after I've been on the server for no more then one to two seconds.

Here is my system:

http://www.avadirect.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=343

If anyone has any advise on how to get .8 to run please reply soon, thank you.

Ps: have already tried running the game in 32bitXp SP2 mode. No joy....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:28:10 AM by Tindog » Logged

yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:22:12 AM »

Maybe Vista blocks game? Or maybe firewall? Have you checked internet connection and options?

Anyway have you thought about switching to Linux (Ubuntu)? We can help you more if you are Ubuntu user.

... Am I in desert? ...
Tindog
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:52:42 AM »

Maybe Vista blocks game? Or maybe firewall? Have you checked internet connection and options?

Or maybe, just maybe you came into this thread with some sort of agenda  that has nothing to do with helping me. Have you thought of staying on topic, or maybe reading my post? The game closes, its not a connection issue.

Anyway have you thought about switching to Linux (Ubuntu)? We can help you more if you are Ubuntu user.

Look buddy I boot Ubuntu from disk when I feel the need. If your not here to help stay the hell out of this thread. let me be brutally frank. It would have been easier for me to have  de-listed this game from my website:

http://www.freewebs.com/clan427/index.html
http://www.freewebs.com/clan427/gamez.html

then to have wasted my time signing up for these forums  and spending  it here with you.

Just to be clear, the name of this thread is "Windows Vista premium 64bit" not "hey buddy tell me about that other OS I already have and chose not to dual boot onto my $3000.00 Custom Gaming System." I mean really It's the God damn name, of the God damn thread!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:03:49 AM by Tindog » Logged

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »

I don't think anyone round here has a 64-bit vista premium machine to try & diagnose your problem. Have you tried running it in XP compatibility mode?

On that note could you post up the crashlog.txt, it should be in .openarena directory, which should be in your Documents & Settings, though I'm not sure for Vista.
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »

Tindog, it sounds a lot like Internet gaming problem (32-bit, Core 2).

There should be an stderr.txt or similar in your openarena directory, which should be the same as what kit89 is asking about.  Can you post it here?

Have you played any of the 0.7.x versions on Vista?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:56:37 PM by damocles » Logged
Tindog
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 04:28:24 AM »

Tindog, it sounds a lot like Internet gaming problem (32-bit, Core 2).

There should be an stderr.txt or similar in your openarena directory, which should be the same as what kit89 is asking about.  Can you post it here?

Have you played any of the 0.7.x versions on Vista?

No I haven't played  Open Arena on my vista rig, will look for file, have already stated that I've tried compatibly modes.

I'm very disappointed with all my games right now. Every game I play has so many mods running they might as well just shut down the servers. I'm very disappointed in the gaming community in general.

Sorry about losing my temper on yasha.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:31:20 AM by Tindog » Logged

Tindog
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:34:00 AM »

Found no crash log, found no stderr.txt  file, game is not crashing just closing upon joining server. No crash window no appearance of a crash.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:56:55 AM »

Maybe run openarena from command line (start > run > cmd), and redirect error codes to a file

Code:
C:\openarena\openarena.exe > c:\cacalog.txt

I haven't tried on Windows, so I'm not sure it would fill you that file properly.

Todo: Walk the cat.
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »

I had a problem similar to this. I'm running Vista 32-bit Home Edition. Most of the time, the ver.080 works online. Every so often it will crash or collaspe into a minimized window in mid-game. I would reopen OA and select a server and before I could even connect, it collaspes into a minimized window. It is as if someone switched to another window.

As a resolution, I just close OA and restart the game. After 1 or 2 tries, it stays put. The game is still alittle buggy that way. Not sure if the crashes is related to it being on Vista but it happens. I dont think im using the XP compatibility mode either. I never configured it that way.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 01:01:39 AM »

I had a problem similar to this. I'm running Vista 32-bit Home Edition. Most of the time, the ver.080 works online. Every so often it will crash or collaspe into a minimized window in mid-game. I would reopen OA and select a server and before I could even connect, it collaspes into a minimized window. It is as if someone switched to another window.

As a resolution, I just close OA and restart the game. After 1 or 2 tries, it stays put. The game is still alittle buggy that way. Not sure if the crashes is related to it being on Vista but it happens. I dont think im using the XP compatibility mode either. I never configured it that way.

In ubuntu there is similar problem because of screen saver, maybe vista like ubuntu don't detect full-screen windows like activity... And then screen saver wants to come out... Try turning of the screen saver.

@HITMAN sorry, i just don't like vista at all....

... Am I in desert? ...
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:29:44 AM »

If we're still tuned in:

Tindog, someone seems to have got this to work in the Internet gaming problem thread (if you're willing to do some troubleshooting).
Schnauzer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »

I'm using Vista 64-bit Ultimate, and all versions of OA work fine, but it seems there is different mouse feeling in linux in which OA works perfectly.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: