Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 37ctff, a CTF map  (Read 29599 times)
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« on: September 08, 2008, 04:39:15 PM »

Okey, so I wanted more feedback on my map so here it is. ...

This isn't the final final version, I'm just lazy to pk3 up the last version. The only difference between the two is that there's a rocket launcher on the OA logos in the open areas and there's a string of small healths around the pool on the newer version. It also has brush cleanup, I think.

CTF map, it has the usual weapons (12345678) plus the nailgun, minus the grenade launcher.

File: http://www.mediafire.com/?zwn2zjmznw7

Screenshots:

Overview

The pool

The blue flag/base

View of the bridge from the red room

View of the red open area

Red side's acid pool

Blue room

Nailgun frenzy

Lightning gun fun

I would say this map is good for any population, but I haven't really tried it with things like 6v6 except with bots. A thing about the map is that it doesn't take forever to get from flag a to flag b, this could be good or bad.

(Figured I should note, I was Sharpflame, I will be using this username from now on. So no, I didn't steal this map. Smiley)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:42:49 PM by PsiScythe » Logged

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »

Oh yes. This one rocks. I love the layout and gameplay of this little beauty.

Just a few things:
  • I don't like the 'table' where most of the weapons are placed. That's boring and not in-team balanced.
  • Quad Dmg in CTF maps is not a good idea.
  • The underwaterpassage is perfect for escaping but a bit short.
  • This is a massacre bridge and it's way fun to fire endless rockets through it although your map is good for rocketjumping / plasmawallwalking. The nailgun is a bit difficult as you can spam the whole bridge with nails. Maybe it's my personal problem of a very powerful weapon.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »

The O.A.A. server admin (I'm the forum admin there Tongue) included this map on the O.A.A. server, and there's a lot of people who liked it.
IMHO should be packed with the next versions of OA. Grin

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:09:48 PM »

To cosmo:

Thanks for the compliments on the layout/gameplay, that seems to be what people are noticing. I must be honest though, all I did was sketch random lines and then made it real. Smiley
For your list there, would you have any recommendations as to what to do about those? I'll definitely take out the quad.

-If by your first list item you mean to spread out items, sounds good to me.

-Perhaps make the pool deeper, and make the bridge have a type of dip into the water like under a boat? Whatever that's actually called.

-The nailgun I actually thought wasn't too great except for on the bridge - I liked this because the bridge you could rush through like a maniac. In my opinion, the nailgun is better than worse for the map.

Edit: I was thinking of replacing the quad with something like Regeneration. And was the rocket jumping a bad or good thing?

To Armageddon_Man:

I've submitted this already for the SVN Commits thread, hopefully once I edit the map to make it better it'll have a chance!

Edit: I've edited the bridge/pool area to look sorta like this, with the regeneration replacing the quad. I figured the regen was better for it since it doesn't really break the gameplay so much; the pool is much deeper than before and you have to go under the dip in the bridge which should take about 3-6 seconds longer to get through than before.

Edit again: Anyone think the glowing panels and stuff are too annoying/distracting? It's better than my old versions of this which had very little color. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:38:41 AM by PsiScythe » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:02:04 PM »

Is the same download link than the link of first post? Or you are modifying the map and didn't release it until it's finished? Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »

Unreleased till finished, sorry. Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »

No drama, I'll be waiting for the final version. ^^

PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:12:13 AM »

I'm probably just going go spread out the items a little more, and perhaps redo spawn points so that you aren't spawn rushed once you get the flag.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 07:40:02 AM »

Jep, I thought about the possibilities of rocket jumping as very positive.

Forcing the player to dive deeper sounds fine to me and replacing the quad with regen too. I'm curious about the gameplay. Give us another test version Smiley

Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »

Okay, this isn't a problem exclusive to this map and you, but I'm gonna pick on you about this anyway. I'm on a Mac, and here's the deal: when you zip a pk3 file, the computer expands it all the way, instead of just expanding the .zip part of it. The next time you (and many other people) release maps, you should put it in a folder with a readme, and zip the folder instead. Because, right now, yours and many other people's hard work is not being used because of how you're releasing your map.

-Timedude
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »

Timedude,

I'm on a Mac as well and it's something you're doing wrong when your pk3s get unzipped if you download 'em.
Save target as ... should work fine for you.

Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:19:29 AM »

Mac doesn't usually say save target as... I tried again to make sure, and it happened again. Got the .map and .arena files and crap. again. Maybe It's just user error on my part, idk.

-Timedude
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 05:34:04 AM »

I'm not sure exactly what you guy are talking about, perhaps because I use Windows (Never touched a mac in my life). I'm not sure what I can do to the pk3 files to make them better.

On a side note, I'll be uploading the final version of this map tonight or tomorrow. I like full compiles, even though they take a long time, the lighting looks way better. Here's what I did to the map:
  • Scattered items around a bit
  • Added more spawn points for each team
  • Replaced acid pools with neon water pools (Damn, I love the neon water effect)
  • Made the center pool a neon water pool, it has a type of wall inside of it forcing the player to spend a little while swimming in exchange for being hidden. There's a regeneration under there instead of quad now.
  • Took out the "tables" which held all the weapons in one spot.
  • Oh, there's a mega health under each side's neon pool too.

Things that are bugging me about final final final compile are the lightning guns, they seem overpowered but I'm not sure so I am asking for feedback on that, should they stay or go? I also am unsure about the new weapon placement.

Map will be up here soon, I'll just edit this post. Smiley

PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »

I hate to double post, but I will anyways. Map complete. I took out the lightning gun and put a red armor under each side's neon pool. Also added a little arc effect to the doorways to give them a bit of structure.

File: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3ab27c5ffdb139e1d2db6fb9a8902bda

Thanks to these people as the map wouldn't exist if they didn't:
  • Arle Nadja
  • Cosmo
  • Armageddon_Man
Thanks guise, thanks Arle for hosting this map and encouraging my map editing in the first place.

Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »

Okay, before you upload, or zip, or anything, place the pk3 in a folder (readme is optional but recommended), and then zip that and upload it. That should make me shut up and stop complaining... lol Seriously, that would help alot.

-Timedude
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »

I don't understand what I am supposed to do to help mac users, that's why I didn't touch it. Works for the other people I think...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 07:52:50 PM »

For me works. ^^
Very nice version, BTW.
I had no complaints, or nothing to ask/say.

Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 06:44:22 AM »

I've just said, twice! put it in a folder before you zip it and upload it! GRR! Not that hard!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 08:24:07 AM »

Not sure I understood, but that may be an issue with your archiver.

.pk3 have a strict directory structure otherwise they wouldn't work after being placed in baseoa, so there can be no mistake here.

If you double-zip your map (map.pk3.zip) which is somehow useless (let's imagine you do it to add some readme file), I'd say it's quite the same not put your files within a directory but directly in the zip, and let it up to the archiver to create a directory where the files should be.

Todo: Walk the cat.
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 10:15:13 AM »

Timedude, probably your archiver or browser thinks it's being really clever and unzips the .pk3 (since it is just a renamed .zip file, so why not?), when that's really not what we want.

Are you sure there isn't a "Save Target &As..." equivalent anywhere (hold down mouse button, or Ctrl + click)?  (sorry for asking, stupid question)
Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 05:31:33 PM »

I guess I'm just not explaining this sufficiently... Okay, I'm gonna try again. [sigh]

Okay, I go to Mediafire, and click the download link. Even if I right-click, and choose download linked file as, it still downloads the file, and then, when it's complete, it comes out as ps37.pk3.zip. Double clicking on that comes out as a folder whick contains files trhat make up pk3s. I've even tried ziping that folder, and then renaming it as pk3, but that doesn't work either... I'm gonna guess it's all due to Mediafire, since I'm guessing you're not actually zipping it before uploading, and that's why you're so lost as to what I'm talking about. My computer just seems to think that it is smarter than me, I guess.

well, I dunno how you can fix this or how I can fix this, or anything, but anyway... Don't worry bout it. I'm sure it'll become part of baseoa for next release...

thanks for continued patience,
-timedude
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »

PsiScythe: Nice work.  Like Armageddon_Man, no comments or criticism.

Timedude: It seems to work as it should, since you say it finishes downloading and comes out as ps37.pk3.zip.  (This is probably it -- the file is listed as ps37.pk3, but (Safari? Mozilla?) seems to insist on calling it ps37.pk3.zip.)

Once the download finishes, can you only rename it to ps37.pk3 and place it where you need to?  (no double-clicking or anything at all)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:23:05 PM by damocles » Logged
Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 05:16:35 AM »

I just tried that, and it worked! I shoulda thought of that... Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try your map and give some real feedback asap.

-Timedude

edit: this is a pretty fun map! With three effective approaches and all the weapons in one place (pretty much), gameplay is simple and straightforward. Everybody seems to use the nailgun and rocket launcher, though... A little plasma too. I like the underwater approach, btw. Allot f you guys tend to hide runes like quad or uberheath underwater... I like ti, thought.

-Timedude again.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:33:56 AM by Timedude » Logged
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »

The link to the new version is dead Sad Where can i get it?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »

He attached the map in the SVN Commits thread.

Also...

PsiScythe, you should use this setting the next time you want to change your forum nick. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: