Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: few server questions  (Read 9248 times)
kozlov
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 10, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »

Recently i've played OA with friends, two strangers connected in and there was a lot of fun. But now I have questions about this and some other things.

Is it *naughty* if I start dedicated, play some time and then shut it down?

Do you recommend to play with any server-side mod or with *clean* OA? I've tested NoGhost and it's quite fine (anticamper, weapon removal and so on). May these be the reason of lags? (I didn't turn on any antilag but friends told me that the mod may cause some problems)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:56:27 PM by kozlov » Logged

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:07:14 PM »

I'd like to run dedicated server which will show up on dpmaster.deathmask.net but only when I start it. Is it good or *naughty* form?
I think this is all fine Wink

Do you recommend to play with any server-side mod or with *clean* OA?
It's up to you I'd say.
Here are a few drawbacks if using a mod :
- mods are rarely libre softwares (and, depending on mods/additions, it's weird to play OA to finally get back something which looks like Q3 and reuses most if not only Q3 assets)
- mods require players to set their autodownload on, or to install the mod themselves

Mods are not meant to fuck up OA, I think  noghost is tested/known enough to be considered safe.
Delag helps if you have high ping, personally I consider it to be an improvement.
If you have low ping and think it's hard to hit, it's harder to make a diagnostic of why you experience "lag". Wink

Edit: Noghost and both "clean" (vanilla) OA have some unlagged code, so I don't know how it's dealt with, but I doubt it conflicts. (someone may confirm)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:09:18 PM by Cacatoes » Logged

Todo: Walk the cat.
kozlov
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »

Noghost and both "clean" (vanilla) OA have some unlagged code
I mean both are turned off.

kozlov
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:15:40 AM »

bump

can I somehow force openarena_ded to not mess in my config? I'd like to make a conf with // sections but every time I run it, my config is messed, all variables and commands are there but no // comments are left. it's a bit annoying for me

and yes, I guess that editing values / adding/removing variables when server is running would mess the file again

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 06:39:32 AM »

My config files aren't modified by oa_ded, and I can leave comments with it.

Are you using some mod or vanilla OA ? The mod may modify your config file.
In worse case, I haven't tried, but make your config file not writable (chmod -w server.cfg).

I think using "seta" command within the game alters your config file, otherwise it stays as it is.

Todo: Walk the cat.
kozlov
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »

vanilia with serverfix patch from this forum / oa's wiki

damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »

If you're referring to q3config_server.cfg, it looks like this is where oa_ded saves everything (stuff like your server name, or when you do "seta").

Cacatoes probably means putting your desired settings in separate configs (since putting them in q3config_server.cfg will clash / get overwritten).
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »

bump

can I somehow force openarena_ded to not mess in my config? I'd like to make a conf with // sections but every time I run it, my config is messed, all variables and commands are there but no // comments are left. it's a bit annoying for me

and yes, I guess that editing values / adding/removing variables when server is running would mess the file again

Use a launcher which will copy your config each time you launch the game (or your server) into the appropriate place, thus it won't modify your original config.

More information: OpenArena Launcher =>
http://superbots.co.cc/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=5
kozlov
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »

damocles, did you mean
Code:
exec file.cfg
? I think it would be better for me than the launcher

I think the file was changed even when no changes are made from game. I'll try it when back home

anyway thanks for all solutions

damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 06:26:59 PM »

I only tried it with the files located in ~/.openarena/baseoa, but maybe you have them where you installed OA instead?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: