Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you play a dm_67 file in OpenArena?  (Read 14224 times)
dash9

Cakes 6

« on: September 14, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »

I tried with version 6, but it only lists dm_68 files.
Is it possible to play dm_67 demo files with OpenArena? Why not? Smiley
http://www.quakeunity.com/browse=cat&cid=7&orderby=hitsD

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:47:36 PM »

You need to bring down the console and write "/demo demofilename"

You can also try to change the filename to get it to show in the menu.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »

isn't it about protocol number hard coded in the client?
does it play dm_67 files
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »

Yes it is hardcoded but it has a build in list of formats it is compatible with. It will only look for files that ends with dm_protocol for menu and auto complete.

dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »

In 0.6 it sais "client/server game mismatch: baseq3-1"
In 0.7 and 0.7.7 it sais "client/server game mismatch: baseoa-1"

In 0.7+ I get the same error with "baseoa-1".

So there is a chance this could work?

damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »

Are you trying to use OpenArena to view demos that were recorded in Q3A?
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:34:40 PM »

Are you trying to use OpenArena to view demos that were recorded in Q3A?
Yes. Sorry for not mentioning. Is it possible to view in OpenArena demos recorded in Q3?

damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 09:39:44 PM »

I don't think it's possible to do this (right now? or ever?).

I imagine that if it could be done (thinking earlier Q1/Q2 stuff), no tools or content exist(s) that could make it work at this moment, or it'd be like network compatibility.  (It would mean more than just matching content, especially if it's something that can't be substituted, like a map from the retail release -- but it doesn't mean someone can't try. Smiley)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:25:50 PM by damocles » Logged
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 11:20:09 AM »

I don't think it's possible to do this (right now? or ever?).

I imagine that if it could be done (thinking earlier Q1/Q2 stuff), no tools or content exist(s) that could make it work at this moment, or it'd be like network compatibility.  (It would mean more than just matching content, especially if it's something that can't be substituted, like a map from the retail release -- but it doesn't mean someone can't try. Smiley)
Ah, I forgot about the maps which are proprietary content and are not available in OpenArena. I imagine most of the competitions games are played on the proprietary maps, so.. Thanks for the clarification.

dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »

I wanted to play a dm_67 demo which was using oasago2f2, which is missing from OA 0.8.  I had to make a pk3 with the bsa and jpg oasago files from 0.7.1 - It worked without having to do anything else.
I would like to mention one thing: we could have for each OpenArena release a pk3 containing the maps used by previous releases (and maybe other files that cannot be found in the last version). This would allow playing older demos without having to search for an old map.

btw, Hopefully the names of the maps that have been changed include a version number, otherwise it will be very ugly. For example, I don't know why oasago2f2 changed its name to oasago2 (with no version after "2"!) - I hope the new version you created will be named oasago2f6 (as it currently is). Just making sure you guys don't forget. Smiley

Thanks!

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:27:19 AM »

About oasago2 oasago2f2 oasago2f5 oasago2f6 etc.

Most other maps included in Open Arena have had significant changes without changing the name. I always considered it a mistake that oasago2 was added to 0.7.0 with its version number included (oasago2f2.bsp is binary identical to oasago2f1.bsp I just repacked it). I asked leileilol to change it in 0.7.6. It is only schism_b2 that also has a version number (indicating that it is beta).

Changing the name ruins all the map cycles used with older versions, making it harder for the server admins to move to a newer version (and it is generally desired).

You cannot make everyone happy. I am not going to try.

damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »

I think you'll have to rely on what versions are available on places like OA's moddb entry, if those versions or download mirrors are "stable" enough (and nobody decides to remove them).

Certain files may still be available in SVN, but if you have old demos from a pulled release, you can only do so much, like if you're developing a mod against a certain version.
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 01:41:35 PM »

About oasago2 oasago2f2 oasago2f5 oasago2f6 etc.

Most other maps included in Open Arena have had significant changes without changing the name. I always considered it a mistake that oasago2 was added to 0.7.0 with its version number included (oasago2f2.bsp is binary identical to oasago2f1.bsp I just repacked it). I asked leileilol to change it in 0.7.6. It is only schism_b2 that also has a version number (indicating that it is beta).

Changing the name ruins all the map cycles used with older versions, making it harder for the server admins to move to a newer version (and it is generally desired).

You cannot make everyone happy. I am not going to try.
Ok, then the proper way to view old demos is to use old releases. Thanks for clarifying.
If I start an older version of OpenArena, can I use a parameter in the command line to tell it to use a different directory than ~/.openarena (I don't know what is its name)? What I'm trying to avoid here is starting an older version with the configuration files used by the latest release and then find them broken in some way.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »

can I use a parameter in the command line to tell it to use a different directory than ~/.openarena
It is "+set fs_homepath PATH"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: