Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena "dropping sound" and exiting problem under Linux (All distros)  (Read 11911 times)
Aleks
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 09, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »

First HI TO ALL!

Here is my problem:

I have both OA 8.0 and 7.0 and when ever I execute it I can`t exit. When I Click exit it just stalls. I need to restart X so I can reopen my GNOME desktop.

Another thing (I think these 2 things are related), when I play, on the up-left corner the message "dropping sound" always scrolls down, I can`t see anything what the players are typing and when thats happening the game is really .. er... buggie, time to time it freezes.

Any solutions to my problems ? Or maybe its just one problem that I`m not aware of.

Thanks in advance.

-Aleks
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »

Hi,

You mention "all distros", does that mean you tried on several OSes / machines ? What is your distro and how did you install OA ?

1st post I see about such problems.
Are you using compiz ?
Could you paste here the log of OA starting/shutting down when started from a terminal ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
Aleks
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »

I`ve tried it on Fedora 8 / 9 ; Ubuntu 7.10 / 8.04 / 8.04.1 ; Slackware 11 / 12 / 13.

I have compiz but I have it disabled,

Now I think that the problem is somewhere in the sound system ... cos I just played it and the problems were`nt there cos I closed Amarok ..
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:44:06 PM »

For the video stuff are you using aiglx or xgl ? I installed compiz to see if I could recreate your bug but even with compiz on and off I could exit the game. I remember this happening to me when I had an nvidia card though. Whats your video card?

As for amarok and the sound go to settings -> configure amarok -> engine -> output plugin and change it to alsa, that should take care of the sound.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:51:42 AM »

Hm, are all your distros running the same machine and sharing some files between them ?

Could you start OpenArena from a terminal, and paste the log ? (bis)

Do you have OpenAL libraries installed ? Did you enable OpenAL in game options ?

Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »

amarok uses pulseaudio as output which isn't recommended. I have all the deps installed and when I installed amarok to check this bug I got dropped sounds too, so I'm pretty sure it isn't an libopenAL issue(although it might).
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »

Aleks,

Can you follow the questions from Cacatoes first?

Try what Cacatoes says before you do this:

• Can you directly run "quit" from the console (press ~)?  Are you running full screen or windowed?
  • Are you using SDL or OpenAL?  "s_info" will tell you.  (Several of these distros don't have OpenAL by default.)
  • What are your graphics and audio hardware?
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:11 PM »

Same thing started happing to me... i dont really know what i did to trigger it :S

- If i press quit, it just frozes the whole system. When it start happening (ie. dropping sound) i just window the game and then press quit from ~... when the system is almost frozen if i have the game windowed im still able to xkill the window. Then go and kill the process (xkill the window doesnt kill the process)...

- I have openAL on in sound tab

- im not really sure it has to do with the hardware, coz its been working nice with this system from the very begining.. Ive got nvida video card and some VIA VT82xx as sound card...

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 03:49:04 AM »

Have you got some other process running which would use your sound card and make it busy ?

When I use jackd, and when I start OA, I have no sound, and if I try to exit it freezes. I have to go in windowed mode first and kill it, otherwise I'm good for a reboot. This is sad these things still happen on Linux nowadays.

Think about pulseaudio daemon, if you use it.

feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »

i do use pulse audio. but i used pulse audio before too... Maybe it was ubuntu 9.04 what screwed it for me... but im not really sure since ive been using RC for a long time with no trouble :S

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:52:36 AM »

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: