Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Hak] Music  (Read 8786 times)
jute
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« on: October 14, 2008, 03:23:46 PM »

I'd like to contribute new MIDIs for this project but need a little info.  It looks like Hexen II has 16 MIDI tracks, divided by culture.  I think you mentioned considering changing the cultures for this data project, so I'll need to know what you decide on before I can begin composing (unless you don't want the music to reflect the cultures, I guess.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:09:00 AM by fromhell » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:59:41 PM »

I'm not sure if i'll have other themes featured much. I liked medieval setting in Heretic and Hexen alot, and I thought the 'time travel' in Hexen II was very weird.

I'm still not sure

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Stilgar
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »

Eh, since the topic of the themes came up, I guess I'll let off another mini-rant;

I also hated the "time travel" aspect, it was one of the things that made my already least-favorite hub even more least-favorite.

I wouldn't mind there being different environmental themes for variety, but I'd rather they be things like "searing desert", "steamy jungle", "icy mountains", "little medieval village", "ancient mystic ruins" etc. and do their own takes on cultures instead of pulling them directly to avoid that "archaeology textbook" look I was complaining about over on Doomworld.  Which I guess could be taken to mean more like the original Heretic/Hexen way, yes.  I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Doom/Quake style of macabre and hellish touches to the environs, too (demonic carvings, bones, blood, fire & brimstone, and all that).

Also, I hated the way the themed enemies were done.  Having only a small selection of enemy types in any one level really cut down on the variety and interest of the combat, which was one of the original game's weak points IMHO.

Anyways, to the original post, as far as music goes, I'd personally like to hear some stuff in the vein of the Hexen 1 soundtrack.  Had more of mixed feelings on the Heretic one.  Demon's Crest on the SNES had a pretty nice soundtrack that could offer some inspiration, too, I think.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 05:02:54 PM »

The things that bothered me on the hexen soundtrack was the bass guitars and sometimes lots of voice oohs. My SNES fantasy musical inspiration grows out of Final Fantasy IV, but that wouldn't fit something like this either.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jute
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:26:26 AM »

I agree that simply having themed areas makes more sense that the time travel to earth cultures stuff.  I guess I'll hold off until the settings are determined.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: