Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Hak] Things that made thatothergame suck  (Read 9253 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: October 14, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »

I figured I would start this thread so I can keep Hexen II's mistakes in mind:

- Great lack of monsters
- Some monsters are too 'smart' to be fun, like Skullwizard and Archer Knight (they don't really move forward)
- unbalanced multiplayer from the leveling system
- Horrible large UVmaps and inefficient texture resolution usage for models and sprites (this skyrocketed loading times)
- Maps with a lot of enclosed areas
- Puzzles with a lot of backtracking back and forth
- Exclamation points in messages in the console, and in the center, as if it were excited
- Centerprint one liners in levels
- Deathmatch obituaries are like a modern sportscaster
- The necro had a face
- Overbright lighting helped ruin the would-have-been-dark atmosphere
- Quake model fires
- The fire ambient sound sounded too much like paper
- Most floor tile textures were painted with blue and brown light directions, this was ugly
- Menu font was too 'halloween'
- Paladin's glyph was too powerful
- Dull and long installation routine with dull music

Things that made Portals of Praevus suck:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:07:08 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Eriance
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:52:50 PM »

Dont forget:

-All the weapons did more or less the same thing - a melee attack or (in most cases) a projectile that didnt have any of the cool special effects like those in the original Hexen.
-4th weapons were all staves (wtf?)
-4th weapons were weak and didn't really serve any purpose.
-Generally crappy looking monster designs.
-All the classes were more or less the same, the amount of monsters didn't give them a chance to be different from each other.
Stilgar
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »

- Great lack of monsters
- Some monsters are too 'smart' to be fun, like Skullwizard and Archer Knight (they don't really move forward)
- unbalanced multiplayer from the leveling system
- Puzzles with a lot of backtracking back and forth
- Deathmatch obituaries are like a modern sportscaster
- Overbright lighting helped ruin the would-have-been-dark atmosphere
- Quake model fires
-All the weapons did more or less the same thing - a melee attack or (in most cases) a projectile that didnt have any of the cool special effects like those in the original Hexen.
-4th weapons were weak and didn't really serve any purpose.
-Generally crappy looking monster designs.
-All the classes were more or less the same, the amount of monsters didn't give them a chance to be different from each other.
Agreement to the above points, not so sure about the others or they seem more minor.

Adding:
- As I mentioned a few other times, "archaeology textbook" look with little to no creativity.
- Annoying enemies (e.g. skull wizard.  This may fall under the "too smart" too, but maybe it doesn't.)
- Halfassed and inconsistent attempts at realism - i.e. in Blackmarsh 1 it tries (not too well) to make the levels realistic with dead people you pull clues off of and all those shops and stuff.  Then the rest of the game is mostly thematic dungeons.  I say go back to "game level" type design like the first game.
- Ridiculous boss fight(s) - hey let's have the player fight a guy with a super strong, fast moving, accurately heatseeking weapon... in an arena with no cover!
- Trick endboss (eg you have to do something odd to kill him instead of just having a bloody fight to the death).  I'm never fond of these.
- Stupid and generic plot (kill the big foozle, four horsemen, etc. etc.)  Not that I'm asking for the game to be overly plot-oriented at all.
- Some artifacts suck (Stone of Summoning, with the imp not appearing half the time and even if he does he's mentally challenged (plus the imp wasn't as cool as a huge minotaur), Force Cube, which is just weak.)
- Happy blue sky in Thysis.
- That one puzzle in Thysis.  You know the one, the one where some asshole level designer thought "Hey, I've got an idea... the player has to walk over these plates a bunch of times... if they choose the wrong pattern, teleport them to the other side of the level.  If they correctly do part of the sequence, teleport them to the other side of the level anyways, lol!"
- Some weapons (Assassin's mainly) don't make all that much sense as magic weapons that use mana.
- When enemies turn to ice it looks like crap.
- This nitpick is niffed off of some guy who did a video walkthrough of the game:  The "invisibility sphere" is not a sphere.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:56:25 AM »

- the sound effects in the original distort and clip very, VERY easily
- everyone had the same voices. In Hexen the 3 classes had different pain, oof, noway and death sounds
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:53:54 AM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Stilgar
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:35:18 AM »

- Have I mentioned models that suck?  I have to wonder if their modeler was just learning how to do it or something.  Most egregious examples: paladin's fists, which use all those polys to have some cheesy-looking knuckle spikes stick out while his hands look like leather-wrapped bricks, and those ball-topped trees that look like they belong in Dr. Seuss' books or something.
- Not all that much in the way of secrets.  Yes, there were a few, but nothing like earlier games.  I like secrets.
- Some of the sound effects were weird... what the heck are they doing with those mana blobs, eating them?
- Had both a "Paladin" and a "Crusader".  Aren't those nearly the same thing, meaning-wise?  They're both basically holy warriors, the main difference I can see is that Paladins were more of a defensive force while Crusaders were offensive campaigners.  Couldn't they have had a Barbarian or Berserker or something for the bash-stuff guy and then saved Paladin (or Crusader, but Crusader's overly Christian-toned for my taste even though Paladins were too) for the mixed fighter?

- everyone had the same voices. In Hexen the 3 classes had different pain, oof, noway and death sounds
Which were just pitch shifts of each other...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: