Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with >TF< servers?  (Read 17943 times)
poldie
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 26, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »

I'm trying to play a game and there's a bunch of crud about camping and using the BFG guns etc.  Someone just got kicked, and it was me they killed with the BFG.  I don't mind!  Perhaps they shouldn't be hosting maps with BFGs if they don't want people to use them. Or perhaps they should just host solitaire or some other safe game.  Even assuming hypothetically there was some problem with camping, which there isn't,  which couldn't be solved by shooting the camper, is it necessary to have a stream of messages about it all the time.  I instinctively look in the corner when I hear a beep, so I can do without that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 07:46:54 AM by poldie » Logged
poldie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:44:29 AM »

(Chose `quote` instead of `modify` and can't delete this!)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 07:47:55 AM by poldie » Logged
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »

"Tarpit" is the keyword here.  The admin is a nice guy.

IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS: OA STATS and OA_CTF4ISH Change might also partially explain.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 01:10:04 PM by damocles » Logged
poldie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 02:39:12 PM »

"Tarpit" is the keyword here.  The admin is a nice guy.

IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS: OA STATS and OA_CTF4ISH Change might also partially explain.

He doesn't like people using the rail gun.  I don't really mind it - neither do others who've replied in that thread.   He can't be bothered to change the map to exclude the things he doesn't like, and instead complains on the server, posts here etc.  The analogy with the bananas/apples in the thread is amusing, but a closer analogy is someone who sells apples with worms in, and when people compain about the worms replies `hey, they're not my apples, I just sell them`.
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

Tarpit (networking)
Honey pot
Iron box

Some people complain, but others feel right at home.  Sometimes even both.

Everything can be abused -- removing votes and setting up a script is one (very unique) way to handle it, and people voicing their thoughts is another.  Which is more effective?

In the end, you could also just choose not to play; after all, it's just a game. Wink
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »

The rules on Tarpit are pretty cool, I wish every sever would have a camper tag script. If someone doesn't care about campers, than it won't kick it, but if it gets annoying, complaining is enough to kick the campers. I think the BFG could be removed, but the railgun is essential to slow down the captures. I really liked the subtitle of the server, when it said: "Camping sucks, and the BFG is lame." or something like that Smiley.

And yeah, today a german guy asked, why I always kick him Cheesy. He can't speak English, but I can German, so I explained him the rules, and he accepted it.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »

Oh, that's the server with the fucking weird admin: "use this gun and you will be banned/kicked!"

What. the. fuck.
poldie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 06:30:05 PM »

Oh, that's the server with the fucking weird admin: "use this gun and you will be banned/kicked!"

What. the. fuck.

"We can't remove the weapons but we can flood your screen with whiny little messages about their use".  There's nothing wrong with using a rail gun.  If you stay up high near your flag and shoot people coming towards you with your rail gun, is that `camping` or `defending your flag`? 

Would using team dm work here?  I think that's a really nice gametype, but it's never on any of the servers (well, hardly ever).
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »

If you stay up high near your flag and shoot people coming towards you with your rail gun, is that `camping` or `defending your flag`? 
Camping, is staying in one spot merely shooting people mindlessly. Defending is playing the flag, if the enemy takes your flag, you do everything in your power to take him out, and if you believe your teammates got it, you return to the flag to prevent an odd baddie getting a lucky cap when all the defenders leave the base to kill the original EFC. Defending the flag means you are willing to leave your spot if necessary to be more beneficial to your team. Sniping baddies to get your points up is camping.

kick/banning people for using a certain gun is silly. If it is the bfg, I can sympathize Tongue, however isn't there a server command to replace guns on map with other guns? Such as replacing the bfg and bfg ammo with rocket launchers and rockets. You could need to use a mod in order to do this though.

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

Or make the bfg have 1 ammo after pickup, i've seen that in some maps/servers, dunno if it's map editing or some server setup stuff.

Ad "Is it camping or defending": they're not shooting the flaggers, they're basically sitting up there, shooting ewverything , using zoom, so they mostly never notice when you RJ up to them and gauntlet them Cheesy
zuma
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:44 AM »

ctf4ish kinda sucks. Everytime i take a rail and shoot 10 slugs someone from enemy team decides to do the same and get payback on me in double.
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »

someone from enemy team decides to do the same and get payback on me in double.
haha thats's what I do Tongue

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 10:13:05 PM »

Ad "Is it camping or defending": they're not shooting the flaggers, they're basically sitting up there, shooting ewverything , using zoom, so they mostly never notice when you RJ up to them and gauntlet them Cheesy

Hell, I do that all the time. It's called sniping and it's what the railgun was made for. I miss more than I hit, though there's nothing quite like getting in a Railgun Duel. Camping, to me, is picking people off as they spawn.
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 11:53:24 PM »

Noob Sauce: everd heard of a fair game? How is it fair, when the enemy team is totally unable to bring you down, because everytime they try to go for rail to shoot you, you hit them with rail, killing them or making them fall down?
Only way is to MG you from the base slowly.
That is just not fun.
chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 01:53:24 AM »

This is one of those age-old debates that will go on until the end of time. These forums have seen several camping arguments already.

Some of the best options for those who hate campers are:
  • Join a clan and play in matches where the rules are agreed upon before the match starts, and where the players are of decent skill. Most often, camping is not accepted in these games.
  • Run your own server and set it up however you like in order to thwart campers.
  • Don't play the game.

These choices are not readily available or appealing to everyone. That means you're stuck playing with the general public Cheesy. Expect to run into campers, n00bs, spammers and complete idiots.

Camping is not against the rules though, and I've seen no spot in any map where it's impossible to dislodge a camper.

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »

Noob Sauce: everd heard of a fair game? How is it fair, when the enemy team is totally unable to bring you down, because everytime they try to go for rail to shoot you, you hit them with rail, killing them or making them fall down?
That is just not fun.
Agreed and good on TP if he provides a way for players to take action against camping ACs. Agree with others on the BFG. If you don't want it, take it out. Otherwise STFU.
RudyRailer
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »

Good railers dont camp,..(out of respect/ fair game)
Its sort of an unwriten rule.
All campers, well,..you know  :O
Practice with the machinegun it a good weapen on open maps like oa_ctf4ish wrackdm17 and so
Dont get mad, get even
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »

That is just not fun.

Since when are they unable to bring me down? Just because I use cover when it's avalible doesn't mean I can't be snuck up on or get hit when I poke my head out or go make an ammo run. Besides, it's not like I always hit.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: