Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning  (Read 5979 times)
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:24 AM »

Hi.

So, I'm at the lightning stage with this map of mine. I looked up the usual resources in the net and none of them give much detail to lightning, even though it's probably the most important thing regarding the visual looks of a level (vertex vs lightmap, anyone?). Most of the available tutorials mention no more than "click this and that, enter a number, change the colour and bingo". Well, that's utter rubbish. What I want to know is how to properly add light to a level, how to achieve a realistic atmosphere, how to specify different curves for the intensity decrease with radius, how to play with shadows, texture lights and blablabla. Does anybody know of some good site I should look at?

And since we are here, a quick one: I've got these lamps made of patch meshes where I put a light right in the centre, expecting to achieve a realistic awesome effect. It turns out that the inner surface of the lamps gets illuminated, whereas the outer one does not (as intended and expected). The problem is that also the surrounding geometry, like nearby walls, is lit as if there was no lamp, and I get ugly spots of light coming from nowhere. Is there a way to make meshes opaque and cast shadows? Perhaps some magic word in the texture shader I use for the lamps?

Cheers.
0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:41:48 AM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:32:58 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »

Uhm, thanks, looking for those keywords I found this:

http://sgq3-mapping.blogspot.com/search/label/shaders
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »

"The Hows and Whys of Level Design I & II" by Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong. Cheesy

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: