Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto-Balance?  (Read 10297 times)
OAaddict
Nub

Cakes -2

« on: July 12, 2009, 08:11:20 AM »

Well, I'm just wondering if this could solve some problems on teams balance which is a bit of a pain when you're playing 7 vs 3 or even worse, which is quite boring specially if you are in the "small" team and the "big" team doesn't give a sh#t about it.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »

You should also look at how good the players are. For example 7 noobs vs 3 pro's is playable. Though the change there is not a single good player out of 7 is small..
I actually never use the auto join function.
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »

There are some server that enforce auto balance not allow anyone to join a crowded team but I think the autobalance should also have it where when someone leaves a team and goes offline, someone from the other team with the lowest minutes should be transferred to other team to balance out..keeping there minutes and scores. Is that hard to code in?

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »

Hitman you should post that in the suggestions or something like that.  I doubt the development team would go around reading everything posted.

TheWorstOAPlayer aka RashDawg
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 03:01:02 AM »

It wouldn't be hard...

Dropping the score of the player being moved is the only real route to go though.   This is for 2 reasons.

1. It'd required significant rewrite to all the code for scoring, for all the gametypes to prevent the individual's score being added to their new team... The team receiving the player is already getting back a man in the interest of fairness, it'd be an team exploit if they got the score too.  Teams would just keep dropping players at the end of rounds to gain the extra points. I'm not gonna do it, and probably neither is Sago.

2. MY OPINION ABOUT GAME ETIQUETTE:
The curteous thing for to happen when teams are out of balance, is for a player to switch teams voluntarily, sacrificing his/her score in the process. If a server doesn't get volunteers, then whoever is being moved should suck-it-up. Had people volunteered you might not have been moved.

The key would be to establish a warning system informing them of how long till team balance is forced.  When teams are first out of balance, so many seconds go by before a warning message is displayed.   Then the warning message about team balance happening in x number of seconds is displayed. After x number of seconds, the bottom player on the team having more players is moved.   

Also, if servers utilized the admin system in OAXB40 and above, they could move players manually with the !putteam command.   

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 05:58:38 AM »

Dropping the score of the player being moved is the only real route to go though. 
Actually I preserve the individual score while changing teams. It is a result of the PlayerStore/Restore code that also work across teams (saves while leaving a team and restores on the new team). The team is not warded any points though and special care is taken that the team does not get a -1 in TDM.

Some gametypes is a little trouble some: In Harvester the player drops a skull while changing teams giving his new team an extra advantage. However removing the dropped skull could be an even more serious exploit as a player could prevent dropping a skull by leaving rejoining the battle while near death.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »

well there ya have it hitman Smiley

I have been a little absent in the last month since I've had to find a new job and then I had a move going on...
I was assuming the Quake3 scoring had never been messed with.  Apparently I am WRONG LOL!!

Sago, I've gotta tweak the !disorient/!orient admin commands a bit, should have it committed here tonight though.
I'll finish up the rest of the admin commands as well. 
AllCoholic
Half-Nub

Cakes -10

/name " All"

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 05:07:42 AM »

I have been a little absent in the last month since I've had to find a new job

So just out of curiosity, what job did you find?

The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than you think.
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: