Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Quake 1 Maps  (Read 12363 times)
bengreenwood
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 31, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »

Hi,

I really like the old school Quake 1 maps that came with Open Arena. However, when I play the game, there seems to be a problem with the lighting in them. They seem too bright, basically. Does everyone get this problem?

Also, I've done some mapping before so I was thinking about re-doing the lighting in them. Does anyone know where I can get the maps/ where to get the textures you use for Open Arena? Also which map editor is the best to use? I've mainly used Quark in the past.

Thanks.
chwz
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:44:18 PM »

yeh the quake maps are awesome.  Theres hundreds of custom maps which I played in quakeworld that would be perfect for oa. I have no idea on mapping or how they're converted but is it possible to convert pretty much any quake map? or are they designed from scratch? How does the process work? and will the quake1 textures have to be changed.?
chwz
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »

I dont know if this helps anyone, but http://facelift.quakedev.com/retexture/ was a project to update quakes original textures to higher detailed ones.  All textures where designed from scratch and quote from the site -

1. Can I use the textures for commercial as well as non-commercial usage?
The textures are made from scratch and are copyright by their respective authors and, collectively, this project. These textures are free to use in any project, be it commercial or non-commercial, on the condition that the work or the derivative product mentions the URL ( http://facelift.quakedev.com ) and name of this project (Quake Revitalizatoin Project) in the credits. In case your project does not have a suitable credits section, you must include with your product a file titled "readme" or "licensing". No exceptions. For any further questions, contact me.

Im sure this will be helpfull to someone.  Ive noticed oa_dm2 has such ugly looking textures, maybe you can use ones from here?  There are so many great textures to use, is it possible to use these in oa?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:22:42 AM »

All textures where designed from scratch

Is a complete lie, and no, i'm not touching any of those textures.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
chwz
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »

just wondering what makes you say its a complete lie? they have an irc channel on quakenet #qrp.  Feel free to contact them.  I remember when the project first started and from what I remember they where designed from scratch, keeping close to the original quake textures.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:04:22 PM »

just wondering what makes you say its a complete lie?

Have you seen the comparison page? They are obviously directly derivative of copyrighted materials.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: