Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: openarena problems in linux  (Read 17331 times)
befno
Half-Nub

Cakes -6

« on: September 04, 2009, 07:54:52 PM »

Hey, so I'm trying to run Openarena from ubuntu 9.04, which i downloaded from synaptic. It installs ok, but when i run it, the game starts in fullscreen mode, in a tiny resolution in the center of the screen.  When playing, mouse movement is completely messed up, I move the mouse around and the player just moves in every direction except the one it's supposed to go.  Can anyone help me with suggestions?

thank you!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:39:34 AM »

It may be because of Compiz, try disabling it.

Which version of OpenArena you have ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:21:21 AM »

9.04 has 0.8.1 in their repositories. I guess 9.10 will have the same if a new version of the game isn't released.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 05:34:55 AM »

It may be because of Compiz
BTW, what's the deal with Compiz, why does it mess up OpenGL games?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:25:03 AM »

I don't know well as I don't use it, but I know some people experienced some issues with their mouse, and some "events" while playing ingame made them automatically switch back to desktop. These seemed to happen on Ubuntu as if I'm not wrong compiz is enabled by default, and switching it off before playing solved the problem, at least for some of them. Can't say more Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 08:40:52 AM »

Thanks for the answer, I'll look into it further, there must be some solution.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »

BTW, what's the deal with Compiz, why does it mess up OpenGL games?

Because Compiz itself uses OpenGL and it claims the exclusive use of the mouse ( at least with some effect ) : I've used XGL ( X+OpenGL = same compiz effects ) once, but I realized it was like playing OpenGL games , my productivity went down extremely fast and I've removed it. I have never tried again a composite system (beryl and then compiz) and I usually disable it immediately after installing a new system ( ubuntu ).
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 07:43:17 AM »

Yeah I have browsed the sorry state of Compiz documentation (where the most important thing on every page was to explain how Compiz and Compiz Fusion are two different things), and I have browsed the forums, where the issue of OpenGL apps and games not working gets raised very frequently, yet never mentioned in the F-A-Q).

And came to the conclusion that the Ubuntu developers were a total bunch of morons for taking a very experimental and unstable system and making it the _default_ for all of their users.  Man, I just can't believe the incredible stupidity of that decision.

Guess you gotta laugh heh Smiley
dsavi
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »

I just found out that in Karmic Koala, this will be fixed. There will  be a way to mark OpenGL games as "Non-compiz compatible" which will shut down Compiz while marked programs are used/played.

Ubuntu brainstorm link: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/2876/
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 01:03:28 PM »

I just found out that in Karmic Koala, this will be fixed. There will  be a way to mark OpenGL games as "Non-compiz compatible" which will shut down Compiz while marked programs are used/played.

Hmmm, I think it should be fixed by Compiz developers rather than making a workaround in Ubuntu. It's not impossible, Xfce's composition manager has an option to directly render fullscreen applications since it's 4.4 release. I've played clanmatches with 125 fps, while I still had transparent windows and shadows on my desktop. But probably the Xfce Compositor don't uses OpenGL, because you can't roll the cube Smiley.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
befno
Half-Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »

I forgot about this thread, Tongue. Well, yes, I downloaded the openarena from the synaptic packages in 9.04.  Two of the most annoying things in modern linux distros like ubuntu right now for me are compiz and pulseaudio, they mess with opengl games.  If I uninstall pulseaudio, do i have to install oss and / or alsa to have sound? And which packages should i uninstall? Same thing for compiz.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »

I think it should be fixed by Compiz developers rather than making a workaround in Ubuntu.
Exactly, I'm really tired of seeing workarounds for problems which can and should be fixed in the original software.

Quote from: befno
If I uninstall pulseaudio, do i have to install oss and / or alsa to have sound? And which packages should i uninstall? Same thing for compiz
On my Ubuntu 7.10 system, I uninstalled the compiz package, and that completely broke my system (unusable desktop) because various scripts are hard-wired to use compiz.  Luckily I know enough about Linux to fix it.

I wouldn't be surprised if you uninstall the pulseaudio package it breaks your system.  The Ubuntu forums are the best place to look for (and ask about) this kind of thing.
yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »

It's not problem in compiz itself, it's problem with usage of compiz and it's customization. I had compiz enabled since ubuntu 8.04 and it never messed my gaming experience. I can still get 125 fps in OA, even if i have that fancy cube (it's cylinder now). It is true that compiz CAN be wrong. Some of it's effects can be really buggy, thats why now i only use helpful parts of it.
And came to the conclusion that the Ubuntu developers were a total bunch of morons for taking a very experimental and unstable system and making it the _default_ for all of their users.  Man, I just can't believe the incredible stupidity of that decision.

Guess you gotta laugh heh Smiley
You aren't right here. If you check it, 90% of ubuntu (and linux) applications are 0.x.xx versions, and are still more stable than windows ones. Smiley
And if you don't like compiz, you're free to use Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

I have ubuntu 9.10 now, and i have no problems in running OA, even if i didn't set any settings or did any fixes.

... Am I in desert? ...
tuppe666
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 10:58:41 PM »

As this thread won't die Karmic is out 9.10. You can turn off compositing you do not have to remove it! Compiz++ will be out soon, and will vanish with Gnome 3.0 anyway.

Intel/Pulseaudio was the bane of jaunty, it suffered from a revolution and (PICK PARTY TO BLAME) for not making the transition smooth. but jaunty was a version that fixed an awful lot of workarounds that were needed! The probability of your problems going away with an upgrade are very high.

If you are working on a immature driver; having pulseaudio problems...Simply Slap in a CD and try it out.

That being said openarena used sdl audio and for the love of god the ubuntu packagers decided to package it with the alsa backend as are many other open source games you need to

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

without it you will get no sound without removing pulseaudio and will not de able to exit without dropping to the console.

I hate the my distro is better comments. I loved Jaunty because it got rid of all my workarounds Karmic more so. Its not perfect see above...but its close.

That said what I really want is a Distribution that serves open source gaming better. There are a few live distro's that show off some of the best Games but no package manager that looks after say engine mods or separates Card/Board/Puzzle games.
madghost
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »

I was using Karmic, when I also experienced sound problems, and video. I don't know about Jaunty, because it never gave me problems, but in Karmic, I uninstalled pulseaudio AND compiz and had no problems, if you uninstall metacity, that's when you'll break your system, heck, karmic won't even let you touch it without a "we need this" warning, I'm slowly updating things like this in our forum, check out (alPha)Clan website. -- http://oa-alphaclan.com/

(alPha)Ghosty  --http://www.oa-alphaclan.com
yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »

I thought compiz made my PC lag, but later i found out i didn't have correct nVidia drivers... Anywayz, i installed oss4, and all worked fine. First time i runned OA, everything worked, in Karmic.

... Am I in desert? ...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: