Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems exitting OA in Debian Lenny  (Read 15195 times)
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« on: November 17, 2009, 11:40:53 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm currently using Debian Lenny (Stable), an have problems exitting openarena (or switching it to windowed mode). Everytime I attmpt to exit OA, the screen turns black, i can see mouse cursor moving around, but that's generally all. When I switch to windowed mode, same occurs untill i switch back to fullscreen.
Starting OA in windowed mode (set previously) works okay.

Some technical info that might be of a help:
hardware:  nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT] (rev a2)
nvidia-glx binary drivers, v. 173.14.09-5

a message probably related with it, from dmesg:
[31378.328643] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.5 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
[31378.328671] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
[31378.328723] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
[31379.170912] NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 40

Any ideas how to solve it? Restarting Xserver everytime i quit OA is a bit annoying.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:51:56 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm currently using Debian Lenny (Stable), an have problems exitting openarena (or switching it to windowed mode). Everytime I attmpt to exit OA, the screen turns black, i can see mouse cursor moving around, but that's generally all. When I switch to windowed mode, same occurs untill i switch back to fullscreen.
Starting OA in windowed mode (set previously) works okay.

Some technical info that might be of a help:
hardware:  nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT] (rev a2)
nvidia-glx binary drivers, v. 173.14.09-5

a message probably related with it, from dmesg:
[31378.328643] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.5 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
[31378.328671] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
[31378.328723] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
[31379.170912] NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 40

Any ideas how to solve it? Restarting Xserver everytime i quit OA is a bit annoying.

The dmesg is normal : it logs that when you restart X .

I guess OA doesn't support very well fast-switch between windowed and fullscreen mode but maybe I am wrong ... anyway dfengine guys has introduced fast-switch in their engine -> http://q3defrag.org/files/dfengine/history.txt

I'd suggest to upgrade video drivers if a newer version is available.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »

I think it's related to Mesa.
I once was okay with OA, then I upgraded Mesa, and had 2 problems :
- first is, when I switch from windowed to fullscreen, the size of the screen remains small.
- second is, when I quit OA, it freezes and I can't go back to desktop unless I switch to some console with ALT+F1 and kill the process, sometimes it crashes the X server too. I systematically have this problem with the official binaries, but I don't have the problem with Debian binaries of OA which are available in the repository.

I have mesa 7.6.1, with intel drivers so problems are different.

Todo: Walk the cat.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:14:16 PM »

I have the same problem since upgrading to karmic... in my case I believe it to be a sound problem: I can see that OA accepts my "signal 6" even after it has frozen but it has problems shutting down the sound system.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »

You're probably right.
If I have OpenAL enabled I have the behaviour I described I second point. I disabled OpenAL and it closed well.
(First point is unrelated, and is more probably mesa related.)

Todo: Walk the cat.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »

I think it's related to Mesa.

He's using the NVIDIA proprietary drivers so he should have no trace of MESA on his system : if not so MESA should be uninstalled.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »

He's using the NVIDIA proprietary drivers so he should have no trace of MESA on his system : if not so MESA should be uninstalled.
Requirements for nvidia-glx-185 in Ubuntu Karmic:
nvidia-185-kernel-source (>= 185.18.36), nvidia-185-libvdpau (>= 185.18.36), x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0), libc6 (>= 2.3.2), libgl1-mesa | libgl1, libx11-6, libxext6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
While it can use libgl1 instead it does not create a conflict. I believe Nvidia drivers uses a hack in X to replace mesa at runtime they are known for not using the default X way of doing things.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »

I have the same problem since upgrading to karmic... in my case I believe it to be a sound problem: I can see that OA accepts my "signal 6" even after it has frozen but it has problems shutting down the sound system.

The OpenAl version coming with karmic is known to be buggy since it was in debian unstable : the very latest version ( Release 1.10.622 )  was out a week ago and should solve this issue since it's mentioned also in the changelog.

Quote -> http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html#release

OpenAL Soft 1.10.622 is now available!

The changes from 1.9 include:

* Fixed OSS and PulseAudio backends
    * Support for disconnect notifications with PulseAudio when the server connection dies
    * Fixed surround sound channel ordering for PulseAudio playback
    * Fixed 7.1 output
    * Fixed potential crash when setting an AL_EFFECT_NULL effect on an auxiliary effect slot
    * Backend libraries are now loaded and released as needed
      In particular, this allows for backends to be added and removed at runtime when their corresponding libraries are installed and uninstalled (provided support for those backends was compiled in). An active backend will remain available as long as its in use.
    * Support for multiple contexts per device
    * Fixed possible ghost references on buffers and auxiliary slots, if they're attached to sources that are forcibly deleted on context destruction

Once it will be packaged for sid , it will be easy to produce a deb for karmic with the debian sources :

- sudo apt-get install build-essential
- sudo apt-get build-dep libopenal1
- dpkg-source -x <package>.dsc
- cd <dir_of_the_package_sources>
- dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »

Requirements for nvidia-glx-185 in Ubuntu Karmic:
nvidia-185-kernel-source (>= 185.18.36), nvidia-185-libvdpau (>= 185.18.36), x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0), libc6 (>= 2.3.2), libgl1-mesa | libgl1, libx11-6, libxext6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
While it can use libgl1 instead it does not create a conflict. I believe Nvidia drivers uses a hack in X to replace mesa at runtime they are known for not using the default X way of doing things.

Uhm ... I usually install NVIDIA drivers with their installer , I don't use the package coming in SID but I can say they don't use a hack ( at least in my system ) : simply the MESA component /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is replaced with a symlink to the /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx<NVIDIA_version>.so ( or so )
tuppe666
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »

Openarena uses sdl audio and for the love of god the ubuntu packagers decided to package it with the alsa backend as are many other open source games you need to

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

Turn off open AL

without it you will get no sound without removing pulseaudio and will not de able to exit without dropping to the console.

It also fixes a serious amount of problems with many games
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:59:14 AM »

I seem to have MESA version  7.0.3-7, turning off the openal didn't help. I don't really feel like messing around with it.
Drivers were installed using this howto.
OA comes from the sid repository (OA, OA Data), I'll try the official zip. EDIT: I already did, same problem.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:31:42 AM by menganito » Logged
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »

I seem to have MESA version  7.0.3-7, turning off the openal didn't help. I don't really feel like messing around with it.
Drivers were installed using this howto.
OA comes from the sid repository (OA, OA Data), I'll try the official zip. EDIT: I already did, same problem.

Your video cards is currently supported by the latest NVIDIA drivers -> http://ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/190.42/README/appendix-a.html

And also the kernels of the 2.6.26 series caused me a lot of pain when I had them on SID .

Anyway if you are not in confidence with the kernel upgrade procedure ( making the deb packages , install it and recompile external modules ) and you are not in confidence to manually upgrade the NVIDIA drivers , then you should NOT really do it.

Check instead the /var/log/Xorg.log because it's an X issue and it will not appear in the dmesg since it doesn't generate a kernel error/oops.

Anyway in the debian wiki about NVIDIA drivers installation I found something interesting and obscure at the same time in the section Build manually, with a custom kernel :

Note, however, that each of the following kernel options has been reported to cause trouble with the nvidia driver:

* Device drivers –> Graphics Support –> nVidia Riva support (FB_RIVA)
    * Device drivers –> Graphics support –> nVidia Framebuffer Support (FB_NVIDIA)
    * Device drivers –> Graphics support –> VESA VGA graphics support (FB_VESA)
    * Processor Type and Features –> Local APIC support on uniprocessors (X86_UP_APIC) (not available if you have an SMP kernel, including hyperthreading)

It is therefore recommended that you disable all of the above options in your kernel configuration. If for some reason you don't disable them, and then your X display doesn't work properly with the nvidia driver, you should suspect these options as the likely cause of the trouble. For more details, see the Troubleshooting section.

Now, nVidia Framebuffer Support (CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=m) and VESA VGA graphics support (CONFIG_FB_VESA=y) are both enabled in the latest default kernel on lenny ( version 2.6.26-19lenny2 ) :/
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 09:13:57 AM »

OpenAL package was updated on SID : http://packages.debian.org/sid/libopenal1

Steps to build the package on Karmic :
- download openal-soft_1.10.622-1.dsc , openal-soft_1.10.622-1.debian.tar.gz, openal-soft_1.10.622.orig.tar.bz2  ( http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/openal-soft/ ) somewhere
- open a terminal pointing to the dir where those were downloaded
- dpkg-source -x openal-soft_1.10.622-1.dsc
- cd openal-soft*
- dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
davidd
Half-Nub

Cakes 6

[Z] server maintainer

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »

xrandr -s 1
xrandr -s 0

I would try that.

Openarena, the freedom to contribute and extend.
davidd
Half-Nub

Cakes 6

[Z] server maintainer

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »

alias oa="openarena;xrandr -s 1 ; xrandr -s 0"

Openarena, the freedom to contribute and extend.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: