Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new Ubuntu, same mouse issue  (Read 10402 times)
High_Yield
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 29, 2010, 02:26:53 PM »

Hi-

I posted this a long time ago and it worked for an older version of ubuntu: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1488.0

I turned off "emulate3buttons" and I could rocket jump fine - YAY !

Now, I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala (or whatever Koala they have now) and I have the same issue BUT with a new twist!  My Xorg config file does not contain the same information anymore.  And to make it worse, it seems that using the X11.org conf file has been deprecated and there is some other tool to make changes.

So, I need to know how to turn off emulate 3 buttons and make my mouse work again, or whatever else I can do to fix it.

The deal is, I have SHOOT bound to the left mouse button and JUMP bound to the right button.
If I move slowly, all is fine.  But a fast lookdown, right mouse(aka jump) then left mouse(aka shoot) appears to do some kind of zoom or something - whatever it does is NOT a rocket jump ;-(.

I did also have the fuzzzy sound problem but put that .openalrc file in my home folder and it went away like magic.

Thanks in advance - B
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »

Which gfx driver?

Most open source drivers work better without an xorg.conf file nowadays. You only really need it with proprietary drivers.

That said, the default X behaviour is to emulate three buttons until a middle click is registered. Then it automatically switches it off. Try middle-clicking somewhere before starting OA.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »

Hi-

I posted this a long time ago and it worked for an older version of ubuntu: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1488.0

I turned off "emulate3buttons" and I could rocket jump fine - YAY !

Now, I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala (or whatever Koala they have now) and I have the same issue BUT with a new twist!  My Xorg config file does not contain the same information anymore.  And to make it worse, it seems that using the X11.org conf file has been deprecated and there is some other tool to make changes.

So, I need to know how to turn off emulate 3 buttons and make my mouse work again, or whatever else I can do to fix it.

Karmic Koala comes with a new Xorg that has input devices management disabled by default ( probably it will be completely removed in the next version ) , so to leave input management demanded to HAL ( of which the deprecation process has been started in Koala in favour of Device-Kit and it's now quite complete in Lucid Lynx 10.4 )

You can follow 2 ways to (re)configure the input devices :

- restore the old behaviour in xorg
- editing the *.fdi HAL files appropriately

- http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_Input_Hotplugging
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input#Input%20Configuration%20with%20HAL
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X

But this behaviour will change again in Lucid Lynx where the input device management is already demanded to Device-Kit because of HAL deprecation.
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »

Karmic Koala comes with a new Xorg that has input devices management disabled by default ( probably it will be completely removed in the next version ) , so to leave input management demanded to HAL ( of which the deprecation process has been started in Koala in favour of Device-Kit and it's now quite complete in Lucid Lynx 10.4 )

You can follow 2 ways to (re)configure the input devices :

- restore the old behaviour in xorg
- editing the *.fdi HAL files appropriately

- http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_Input_Hotplugging
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input#Input%20Configuration%20with%20HAL
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X

But this behaviour will change again in Lucid Lynx where the input device management is already demanded to Device-Kit because of HAL deprecation.

I'm not going to say anything...promised.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »

I'm not going to say anything...promised.

Lol ... just think about to the very first users ( mostly arch and gentoo users ) that after upgrading X , had the surprise of beeing without any kind of access to keyboard ( no CTRL+ALT+F(n) , no CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE , no CTRL+ALT+DEL ) or mice after X loading.

Anyway there are some good reasons for this change :

- HAL deprecation is inevitable because hotplug should be completely managed by a unified system as Device-KIT (which manages normal devices and hotplug devices ) : HAL was a good compromise for building and developing a general support _ONLY_ to classic hotplug devices.

- X running under root priviledges is a BIG HOLE in the security model : the first step was to port out of it the input devices management , the next step will be to port out the video device management ( KMS , already available for Intel and most of the ATI chips : NVIDIA chips support - or at least the support of some NVIDIA chips - with nouveau driver will be available with the next kernel release - 2.6.33 - and probably backported to the kernel 2.6.32 coming with Lucid Lynx ). After this step X could run as an unpriviledged daemon.

Note1 :  KMS is quite close to the solution adopted by any NVIDIA or ATI proprietary driver.
Note 2:  almost those solution (DEvice-Kit,KMS) are already implemented and fully functional in the latest Fedora.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »

I still think that a single middle click will solve his problem.
High_Yield
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »

Ugh - between this and the freakin Pulse/OpenAL/OSS audio malarky, I'm ready to pull my nose off.

I'm also looking for a simple script -and- how to run it from a desktop click which:
- disables compiz
- runs openarena with a higher than normal priority (lower nice value)
- when openarea exits or via another script, turn compiz back on

Essentially, a full Ubuntu system with USB mounting, Compiz etc.. only when not gaming.
I've already downloaded and ran rcconf to turn of bluetooth and other junk - but I need more as I think sound is causing me in-game lag - it really pisses me off.

Also it would be nice to know what version of OA is insalled on my 64 bit dual core AMD ubuntu 9.10 system.  I think there is a 64 bit version out there somewhere - but I may be running the 32 bit which I installed using the Ubuntu software center.

Just thinking, how can I turn sound off completely and then try running OpenArena to see if the lag really comes from sound ?

Either way - thansk fo rall your help so far.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 06:13:16 PM »

Shouldn't compiz automatically disable compositing when running applications fullscreen?

Unfortunately, Ubuntu has jumped on the PulseAudio bandwagon, which means you'll be having issues with sound for a long time. I don't think that there is an easy way to turn that thing off.

OpenArena should not be CPU-bound on your system. I don't think that renicing it will have much effect, and it would require root privileges. Running OA as root = bad idea.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 09:03:58 AM »

Can't help with compiz since I've disabled it permanently

Unfortunately, Ubuntu has jumped on the PulseAudio bandwagon, which means you'll be having issues with sound for a long time. I don't think that there is an easy way to turn that thing off.

For the pulseaudio issue :
- "embrace" ( cit ) pulseaudio : http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3458.msg29083#msg29083 , http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3458.msg29253#msg29253

- update openal : http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3458.msg29270#msg29270

- uninstall pulseaudio in favour of alsa

[...] renicing [...] would require root privileges.

Uhm ... not exactly : you must be root to launch OA with nice or to renice it by command line , but you can manipulate /etc/security/limits.conf for assigning to your user or your group a higher priority ; the default content of the file appears as following :

Code:
$ sudo cat /etc/security/limits.conf

# /etc/security/limits.conf
#
#Each line describes a limit for a user in the form:
#
#<domain>        <type>  <item>  <value>
#
#Where:
#<domain> can be:
#        - an user name
#        - a group name, with @group syntax
#        - the wildcard *, for default entry
#        - the wildcard %, can be also used with %group syntax,
#                 for maxlogin limit
#
#<type> can have the two values:
#        - "soft" for enforcing the soft limits
#        - "hard" for enforcing hard limits
#
#<item> can be one of the following:
#        - core - limits the core file size (KB)
#        - data - max data size (KB)
#        - fsize - maximum filesize (KB)
#        - memlock - max locked-in-memory address space (KB)
#        - nofile - max number of open files
#        - rss - max resident set size (KB)
#        - stack - max stack size (KB)
#        - cpu - max CPU time (MIN)
#        - nproc - max number of processes
#        - as - address space limit
#        - maxlogins - max number of logins for this user
#        - maxsyslogins - max number of logins on the system
#        - priority - the priority to run user process with
#        - locks - max number of file locks the user can hold
#        - sigpending - max number of pending signals
#        - msgqueue - max memory used by POSIX message queues (bytes)
#        - nice - max nice priority allowed to raise to
#        - rtprio - max realtime priority
#        - chroot - change root to directory (Debian-specific)
#
#<domain>      <type>  <item>         <value>
#

#*               soft    core            0
#*               hard    rss             10000
#@student        hard    nproc           20
#@faculty        soft    nproc           20
#@faculty        hard    nproc           50
#ftp             hard    nproc           0
#ftp             -       chroot          /ftp
#@student        -       maxlogins       4

# End of file

A reboot is required after introducing changes to this file, but pay attention to not do anything strange here .

Anyway  the default kernel coming with Ubuntu ( GENERIC ) is not optimized for a low latency interactive desktop :

Code:
# GENERIC
CONFIG_HZ=250
CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y

For a low-latency desktop the kernel should be recompiled with :

Code:
# GENERIC
CONFIG_HZ=1000
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

As alternative you can use a realtime kernel ( linux-image-rt ) or compile your own RT kernel ( I wrote a generic guide - a bit outdated - ) with FULL Preemption

Another alternative is compiling your own kernel by patching the latest vanilla ( http://www.kernel.org/ ) with zen patch ( http://zen-kernel.org/ ) which allows a lot of tuning and offers also the opportunity of using another scheduler that improves the system interactivity ( BFS = Brain F u c k Scheduler )
High_Yield
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »

Hey, me again...

I'm about to post another SUPER nagging issue, but as for this, HelloKitty stated "a single middle click" seems to work for me.  Once I do a middle mouse click, then my other clicks, in particular a right click for jumping, work fine.  So thanks Kitty and others as well !!

<Rant>
Quick rant on Ubuntu 9.1...
I am not a Linux superguru but have read a little bit and understand moving to DeviceKit, away from HAL.
But, they seem to be in some inconsistent state now as almost of the games I install have one issue or another, with sound, or fullscreen, etc...   Essentially Ubuntu does NOT have its act together with audio or video, and as you can see from this post, mice yet.  Then add to it Nvidia driver issues and the fact that an XOrg file does not initially exist, then you finally figure out how to create one using nvidia-xconfig, then you cannot save changes to it since you launched the UI from the menu but you are not a superuser, so you have to drop to a console and run nvidia-settings, blah blah.. Come on guys - get your sh1t together please...

Hopefully once they have moved away from HAL and can debug some of these nagging hardware issues we'll all be a little better off.  And please include flash and nvidia drivers - chr1st almighty !
</Rant>
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »

Quick rant on Ubuntu 9.1...
[...]Then add to it Nvidia driver issues and the fact that an XOrg file does not initially exist,

It's a "new" feature of the latest Xorg version : auto-configuration without xorg.conf . You still can produce and use it for managing X by editing it manually or through NVIDIA utility , but I guess xorg.conf support will be removed when the new window management infrastructure will be completely ready.

then you finally figure out how to create one using nvidia-xconfig, then you cannot save changes to it since you launched the UI from the menu but you are not a superuser, so you have to drop to a console and run nvidia-settings ...

You can save it in your $HOME , then open a terminal and sudo-replace it :

Code:
sudo cp ~/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf 

the restart X .

Anyway this is another problem while running X under root priviledges : once X will run as a its own daemon user , it will be easy for a normal user to configure it : just put the normal user under the X group.

And please include flash and nvidia drivers

- Native ( not 32 bit ) Flash player for 64 bit distributions is available here : http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html
- The latest nvidia drivers are available from the NVIDIA main site but the manual procedure is a bit complicated , expecially because you need to remove the restricted driver , restart the system in console mode ( no X ) , then run the installer in a root console ( sudo -i ).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: